I think there's something wrong....

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with Mitten's litter of kittens. One has already passed and they look sooooo weak. They remind me of Yen's litter. They are so tiny and it seems like they can barely function (like move around, use limbs to push).

I wouldn't know that kittens looks any different, but Misty's kitten are about 2 to 3 times the size of Mittens and Misty only had 2 less than Mittens and Misty is a way smaller build than Mittens. Misty's kittens can make very lusty meows when they're hungry, use their limbs and hold their head up and fight for nipples. They seem normal and healthy.

I don't know what to do with/for Mitten and her kittens. My husband took one of Mittens kittens and gave him to Misty and she's taking good care of him as we speak. We thought that maybe Mittens would do a better job with less kittens (I am sure this was her first litter) but the kittens don't seem to be improving.

I honestly don't know whether I should let nature take it's coarse and hope for the best or do I take over like last time and have the same end results?

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's such a tough decision... I would try to save them and risk the heartbreak, but that's just me. Letting nature take it's course might be the best, though. Sending vibes....

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

with Mitten's litter of kittens. One has already passed and they look sooooo weak. They remind me of Yen's litter. They are so tiny and it seems like they can barely function (like move around, use limbs to push).

I wouldn't know that kittens looks any different, but Misty's kitten are about 2 to 3 times the size of Mittens and Misty only had 2 less than Mittens and Misty is a way smaller build than Mittens. Misty's kittens can make very lusty meows when they're hungry, use their limbs and hold their head up and fight for nipples. They seem normal and healthy.

I don't know what to do with/for Mitten and her kittens. My husband took one of Mittens kittens and gave him to Misty and she's taking good care of him as we speak. We thought that maybe Mittens would do a better job with less kittens (I am sure this was her first litter) but the kittens don't seem to be improving.

I honestly don't know whether I should let nature take it's coarse and hope for the best or do I take over like last time and have the same end results?
I'm sorry that Mittens kittens aren't doing well. I would honestly contact your vet and ask the vet's advice.

I am always concerned about moving kittens that are looking sickly to another litter because you do not know if the reason the kittens are doing poorly has to do with the mother or whether it has to do with the kittens. Since kittens are developing their immune system...if the kittens that are sick have a disease, that could be spread to the other litter. Which is why it is best to keep both litters seperate.

Please keep us informed.

Katie

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im sorry to hear about somthing so unfotunet, it seems like you have a dilema on your hands. all you can do is hope for the best, and in the mean time my household is sending good vibes your way ~~~~~~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG TRN1,

I didn't even consider that. IT's too late now, though. I know Mittens won't take the little boy back and he actually seems to be doing alright. He's still a lot weaker than Misty's kittens but he's for sure getting some nurishment.

I think I'm going to let nature do it's thing. I know I won't be able to do anything durning the week because I go to school full time, even at night on mondays and wednesdays, so I'm just going to make sure they are as comfortable as possible and hope mamma will take good care of them and they will live and I guess sometimes nature and the mamma know better.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't even consider that. IT's too late now, though. I know Mittens won't take the little boy back and he actually seems to be doing alright. He's still a lot weaker than Misty's kittens but he's for sure getting some nurishment.
Well...let's hope he improves and that it's not a disease. I'm truly sorry that Mittens litter is doing so poorly.

Katie

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like you guys tell us here, it's not smart to let your cat breed with an unknown male because they could carry something that makes the kittens sickly and in this case, that could potentially be the problem.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a breeder friend who lost a whole litter due to different blood types - confirmed, unfortunately, by necropsy.

I'd have to agree with TNR1 - check with the vet...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would try to supplement them with formula, and then leave them with theiir Momma. It is probably something that cannot be helped, but an additional feeding with formula for the next few days until you return to school and work might help.

I'm sorry you lost one and the others aren't well. I hope they improve!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just weighed them.

Black and white is 3 oz
Longer solid black is 3.3 oz
smaller solid black (the one I'm really worried about) is 2.4 oz (runt)
longer white one is 3.1 oz
shorter white one is 3.1 oz

Is this normal for 4 day old kittens?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I would rather see those weights as birth weights, but it is what it is. How are they doing? Are they all nursing well and falling asleep on the nipple? Weight them again tomorrow and let me know what those are, OK?

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mittens was constantly leaving them in the first couple days, but since we kenneled her with them, she seems to be letting them nurse more and more. I just checked in on them and they were asleep by her side.

I will weight them tomorrow, right after school. (wooops, I don't have school today LOL)

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have a tiny kitten that seems a little underweight, I sometimes wake it up when I check on them, so it starts to nurse again. I figure a little extra eating is a good thing.

I think that is why my second litter is so big and fat...their cousins who are 2 weeks older kept jostling them so they woke up and ate a LOT!

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a great idea. I check on them every 2 hours, so I can help them to the nipple if they're not eating.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Gaye,

they are gaining weight!!!

UPdate:

Black and white is 3.5 from 3.0oz
Bigger solid black is 3.8 from 3.3oz
Small solid black is 2.8 from 2.4 oz
Bigger white is 3.7 from 3.1oz
Small white is 3.5 from 3.1oz

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT NEWS!

I love having a scale, so you can measure those weight gains. Especially with the tiny ones!

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
its so good to here that the kittens are doing well and i hope that they still continue to gain weight