Feline Asthma

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys
, I'm new here and was referred by someone on a dog forum because I had made a thread about my cats health. So I'm here! Here's my cats bio:

His name is Friskie, and he has severe asthma. He's on 2 Prednisone a day, and one Brethine a day. And he STILL has attacks. So I bought a Feline inhailer from aerokat.com. I used it for the first time last night when he had an attack. I'm not sure I used it right, but it seemed to work.

I just would like some feed back from people. Maybe some who have experienced the same thing?

Let me know, thank you!

Here he is:

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has asthma and reacted horribly to the Prednisone. You don't want to keep the cat on this drug for very long in any case since it can cause kidney problems.

So I got a good quality MIELE HEPA filtered vacuum cleaner and two BlueAir air filters.

The air filters seem to have done the trick. Gizzy has had two attacks in the past four months, whereas they used to come on a twice-weekly or daily basis.
If you have carpets, you will need a vacuum with a beater.

I also use a special laundry detergent that kills dust mites, and this cannot but be better for me as well as Gizmo.

Good luck and I hope your cat gets better with less need for the drugs.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there and welcome. Just wanted to say I agree with the above, keeping the air clean is a big factor. I am sorry for what your little guy is going through - my Wellington has asthma but not nearly so severely and he is on one quarter tablet of prednizone every other day. I found moving to a rural area helped a lot, though not everyone can do that! ANd I know I will have to be careful during hte early pollen season.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea, I'm not happy he's no so much Prednisone because he's been on it for a looooong time.
I did just get an inhailer, and it really helps, and is much better for him, and gives immediate relief, whereas the Prednisone takes almost 30mins to kick in.
I know I should get an air purifier, but they are so expensive. Does anyone know of one that's less than $200?
What is the laundry detergant that kills dust mites???

Thanks for your help you guys. Keep the help coming!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by friskie

Yea, I'm not happy he's no so much Prednisone because he's been on it for a looooong time.
I did just get an inhailer, and it really helps, and is much better for him, and gives immediate relief, whereas the Prednisone takes almost 30mins to kick in.
I know I should get an air purifier, but they are so expensive. Does anyone know of one that's less than $200?
What is the laundry detergant that kills dust mites???

Thanks for your help you guys. Keep the help coming!
Hepas arent costly at the beginning .. but after alot of research I have found that ionzors work far better and cheaper
... You can get a sharper image knock off at big box stores like Target and Kmart for 100-150

I too want the name of mite killing detergent ...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DO NOT buy Sharper Image ionizers! These give off ozone, which is a deadly poison. Read the reviews of this product on Consumer Reports.

An air filter is NOT an ionizer...please get air filters ONLY! Blueair is the best brand.

The brand I use is Allertech Launrdy Detergent; it kills dust mites and gets rid of allergens. I find it very good.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the forum~ Uno too has asthma and I never even tried the Prednisone because it has way too many side effects that I was not comfortable with, he is only a 1yr old. I bought the AeroKat as well and have been using it with both the Flovent for really bad attacks and the Albuterol on a weekly basis to keep his attacks from happening as much. It has now been about a year since we started all of this and his attacks seem to be less and less frequent lately, they happen mostly with stress (which seems to be a lot lately, we are moving soon and we also just got an 8 wk old puppy) but he seems to be adjusting quite well. The best way I have found to administer the meds is to have my husband use the AeroKat and for me to hold and scruff Uno, then we give 2 quick puffs and let him inhale it for atleast 5-10 GOOD breaths. Good luck to you and poor Frisky (he is a cutie) and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

DO NOT buy Sharper Image ionizers! These give off ozone, which is a deadly poison. Read the reviews of this product on Consumer Reports.

An air filter is NOT an ionizer...please get air filters ONLY! Blueair is the best brand.

The brand I use is Allertech Launrdy Detergent; it kills dust mites and gets rid of allergens. I find it very good.
I can send you about 30 years of reaserch on ozone in small amounts also I dont have the ozone on my filter ( so you can turn it off) ( I have it off for my fish)... Hepas can habor 100s of time s the bacteria and mold so efficacy is on how much you change them... Yes I have those articles to..

Where do you get the Allertech>???