Kinsey is going to the vet tomorrow it doesnt end for me

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kinsey is breathing awfully strange... its raspy. But she isnt in pain.. she is purring playing etc etc.. it sounds more than an URI im petrafied its something serious like a trachea collapse... or a lung collapse or god knows what else... between osiris' ringworm and routine vet checks... i am literally broke. Please pray everything is okh

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope everything is ok with your little Kinsey and since the cats came in and took over my life I can really relate to broke in a big way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaclyn4238

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok we just got back from the vets adn it is an URI. Shes on antibiotic x2 a day... then an antihystime 1/4 a pill 2x a day for 3 days. and lysine once a day... im going to start supplementing their food with lysine (all of them) she got her rabies shot and an antibiotic shot... the best part of this all was that the vet DID NOT CHARGE ME ONE RED CENT! I was so happy i wanted to cry!!!! the bill would have only been 95$... i say only because i was expecting a 200$ bill... i love my vet i am so happy and relieved that kinsey will be ok! anyone have any tips on how to get this pill down her?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What I do when giving pills is....

Pick them up and give a bit of a cuddle, then pretend confidence, scruff, quickly pry those little iron jaws apart at the side, slip pill in to back of throat and then lovingly hold and keep head up with mouth closed while stroking throat till I am sure the pill has been swallowed.
Some are quick to swallow and some are mighty tricky and slippery. I've found that you shouldn't be deceived by their size. More often than not the small ones have been more difficult to get medicine into than the larger ones.

Oh yeah, for me scruffing seems to make it easier to pry the mouth open.

Good Luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I crush the pill between two spoons and mix in wet food. Never had any problems yet!

Stephanie

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to heat it went well for you and Kinsey!

I also blow in their face. It makes them breathe in, which usually makes them swallow whether they want to or not. (works on kids too!)

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Glad to heat it went well for you and Kinsey!

I also blow in their face. It makes them breathe in, which usually makes them swallow whether they want to or not. (works on kids too!)
I will surely remember that little trick for the next time I have to pill one of my guys.