What does licking & biting mean?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maui will bite the babies necks & anything he can get his teeth on... then he'll lick them, bite, lick... Does this mean he's playing? Even though he bites them aggressively?

Or does it mean something else?

lunchbox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is playing with your hands and fingers. Anything that moves is open game for them. A cat will do the exact same thing with a mouse - play with it, toss it around, claw at it, lick it. Chances are, the attack won't kill the mouse, it'll have a heart attack. Basically, he or she is practicing on you to hone hunting and killing skills. The bites and clawing kills or maims. The licks will remove skin and muscle from the bone. Ever wonder why a cat's tongue is rough? That's why.

It's important to teach your cat that your hands aren't playthings. Kitten bites can hurt especially if they get hold of your webbing between your thumb and forefinger or the soft pads of your hands beneath the fingers and clawing can make your hands look like you belong in the psych ward.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read the whole thing. Not your hand but other kittens (?). Still valid, though. Anything that moves the kitten or cat will pounce and attack.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thing is is a halffriendly dominance thing.

Our Muskis do this quite often on Vagis, and Vagis accept this... Althought it istn entirely nice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

I think it is is a half friendly dominance thing.

Our Muskis do this quite often on Vagis, and Vagis accepts this... Although it isn't entirely nice.
As time has gone by and things are settling down here I totally agree. He still does it but since he's not 'attacking' or playing too roughly with them quite as often he doesn't do the lick & bite as often. Now it's more licking!!!