Why do I need mice?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since moving here, my cats are in heaven ravaging the rodent population. There are so many more than there were back in Sarajevo. They are killing two or three mice, voles, shrews, moles and even rats every day. Luckily they only get an occasional bird but sadly do catch beautiful large green dragonflies. But Persil is behaving oddly. While the others play with their kill and occasionally eat it if I can't get it away in time, she brings everything home to me! It has happened several times. Yesterday she came in with a mouse, gave it to me, and when I took it out again she brought it back and left it at my feet. Today, I heard meowing while I was in my bath and she was down on the step with a young rat. I did not go down (wrapped in my towel!) and later I looked out to see that she had left it on the door step. She has never done this before. What could be in her mind suddenly that I need mice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know, but this is a changed behaviour - she has never done it before living here.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she knows that you haven't been well and thinks you need feeding up

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Perhaps she knows that you haven't been well and thinks you need feeding up
That was my reaction. Either that, or she's decided she wants you to cook them for her. All of Jamie's predecessors would kill rodents, etc., and bring us "leftovers". Jamie eats insects (including dragonflies, the poor things), and lizards, but brings us (usually live) rodents and bats. He's not too sure about birds - eat, or take to Mommy and Daddy? I wonder what he'd do if he were allowed to roam freely, instead of being restricted to the balcony and leash?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, kitties! For future fun, take your dead mice and poke them under the fridge untill they dry out and become mummy mice! So much fun to bat around the floor and into meowmy's feet when she is in the kitchen!
Ari