So Wonton goes on Prozac tomorrow

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel kind of silly, having a cat on Prozac - it's led to a few interesting conversations with my friends
The vet said he'd be sleepy at first, and it could take up to two months to work fully. Please spare a vibe if you can, for my kitty. It might sound funny that he's going on Prozac but the situation is serious here - I can't live the rest of my life with a cat I'm actually physically afraid of - afraid to trip over something, or speak to loud, or move too fast, lest I be attacked. And by attack I mean a real attack, not just a hiss and the bat of a paw. I'm worried about him. I could never give him up, and I could never put him down, either, so I need to find a solution to this.

He's such a sweet, loving guy 99% of the time.. He's my cuddlebug, and like I said in my other thread, he knows when I'm sad and will headbutt me and purr and try to make me feel better. I'd like to be able to relax around him again and not be on my guard anymore...so please wish my baby luck with the Prozac.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on Prozac and I'm way better than I was before! I hope Wonton will do good on it. {{{vibes}}}

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

He's your baby, you need to do, what you need to do for him!! Don't worry about what people say...I am hoping this works for your sweet boy!!!
thank you
They were just teasing more than anything, but in a playful way. It doesn't help that I live in Northern California, which is known for being very new agey
One person said "have you enrolled him in yoga yet?"

Originally Posted by Moz

I'm on Prozac and I'm way better than I was before! I hope Wonton will do good on it. {{{vibes}}}
Thank you! I'm glad to hear it's helped you so much... hopefully it'll have the same effect on Wonton.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck Wonton!!! He's such a handsome boy, I hope this helps him not have crazy spells!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
a co worker had to put his dog( They have show dogs )on it, due to the dog being very hyper. He said it worked very well.

I am more then willing to bet wonton will be just fine

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a dog on prozac about 10 yrs ago did wonders for her anxiety... Wonton good luck ...

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eponine is on amitriptyline (basically, kitty Prosac). She was sluggish for the first week or so and she hates the taste of it (it makes her foam up real bad), but it has eased the majority of her anxiety (with the exception of her urinating outside of the litter box
).
Bless you for what you are doing for Wonton. That is unconditional love and I truly hope the meds help your baby and you.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are giving Wonton a chance. That shows how much you care for him. I hope this works for him!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I know you are struggling with this and love Wonton very much. I wish you all of the best and that this helps him to level out.

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the vibes and well wishes, it really means a lot <3 The kittycat in question has been snuggled up asleep on my lap for the past hour and a half. I'd really like to, erm, pee, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon
I've just been surfing the net, and being frustrated by Photoshop

I have no idea when his meds will come today - the pharmacy delivers for free bt it could come at 9 am or it could come at 5 pm. I'm hoping it comes early in the day, so I can give it to him and then watch for any adverse reactions, and be able to call my vet if any happen. I have the number of an emergency vet, but I don't know anyone there. The pharmacist said he's never seen an allergic reaction to Prozac before though, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

As for doing this - he's my baby. He means a whole lot to me, he's got me through tough times...I really feel like he's my kid in a way. He's a lot more than just "the pet cat".

ugaimes - I'm really glad to hear that your kitty is doing well on her medicine
Is it a liquid that you give her? I've got a transdermal gel to give to Wonton - the vet said to rub it on his inner ear. I don't think I'd ever get anything in his mouth - not without losing a pint or two of blood

sharky and theimp98, glad to hear the meds worked well in those cases too. Gives me hope that it might work for the Wonner

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

He's your baby, you need to do, what you need to do for him!! Don't worry about what people say...I am hoping this works for your sweet boy!!!
you go, girl! good luck with Wonton - we'll be vibing for both of you!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arcadian girl

ugaimes - I'm really glad to hear that your kitty is doing well on her medicine
Is it a liquid that you give her? I've got a transdermal gel to give to Wonton - the vet said to rub it on his inner ear. I don't think I'd ever get anything in his mouth - not without losing a pint or two of blood
Oh wow, I WISH I had it in gel form! I'll have to ask my vet about that. She gets tiny pills that I have to put/wrestle down her throat- not an easy task. Let me know how that gel works!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, so I have to be honest, I did giggle a little at first, it does sound funny to say "I have a cat on prozac".....
But seriously, I know 2 people on Prozac and it really helped the with anxiety & mood swings & just "snapping"....you are a wonderful Meowmy to work on this problem with Wonton, when alot of people would've given up on him....I commend you for that!
We happen to LOVE
Wonton over here, he is such a handsome boy, and his antics are quite amusing.... we will keep him in our
's, our thoughts, and our prayers!!! (and some for you too Meowmy, as you must be losing sleep with worry over your precious boy!)

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure he'll do fine on it. he's your baby and you love him and I am so very happy you are giving him a chance.
to you both!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope everything goes well with Wonton and his med. From what everyone is saying it should help him a lot.

And this pic is just sooooooo sweet

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I just gave him his first dose - actually giving it to him was pretty easy
I've always scratched behind cats ears, rubbed their bellies, ect, but one day I was visiting a friend, and she had the COOLEST cat, and I picked him up and was petting him and she said "he loves his ears massaged". I was like, what? So she showed me..just took his ears between her thumb and forefinger and rubbed gently.. he loved it
So I tried it on Wonton when I got home, and Wonton likes it too
I've been doing it for the past three years, so he is very used to me touching his ears, and doesn't mind a bit. When I put the medicine on he gave a little start at first, I think cos it was cold - next time I"ll try to make sure it's room temperature. After that tho, he let me rub it in no problem. I think he just assumed he was getting another ear massage
I'm glad giving him the medicine isn't going to be a problem.

I'm keeping an eagle eye on him..it's been about fifteen minutes. Just checked on him again and he's hanging out on the rug by the front door.

Thanks again for all the well wishes and vibes
Will keep this thread updated.