Vaccinations?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the load of questions I have had, but I am VERY new to this

What type of vaccinations will be kitten need so my son is adequetly protected. She will be an indoor cat only.

Also, I self vaccinate my pup, can I do the same with a kitten? Do they need deworming? Is there any disease my son can catch with a kitten?

Sorry if any of these questions seem extremely silly but I never realized I knew so little about cats

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Sorry for the load of questions I have had, but I am VERY new to this

What type of vaccinations will be kitten need so my son is adequetly protected. She will be an indoor cat only.

Also, I self vaccinate my pup, can I do the same with a kitten? Do they need deworming? Is there any disease my son can catch with a kitten?

Sorry if any of these questions seem extremely silly but I never realized I knew so little about cats
First off WELCOME! As for the vaccinations. The vet will tell you which ones you need. You will also need to get the kitten tested for FELV. Yes you will need to get it dewormed. I dont think there is anything that your kitten can give your son. I was raised around my cats my whole life and they've never given me anything.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. The only thing that you need be worried about with your son would be fleas (which can also bite humans) and the parasite they carry, tapeworms. But these are easily sorted out by a vet visit. Do keep up regular worming/flea treatment, as even indoor cats can get fleas. Also do vaccinate your cat against the normal cat illnesses as there is always the possiblity she might escape, and then pick something up ( many TCS members can bear witness to that).

landwish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rabies is the only disease a cat is vaccinated for that can be passed to a human, but there are other vaccinations that the cat should get for the cat's sake.

Some intestinal parasites could be transmited, but you son would have to ingest fecal matter. This would be very unsual, but could occur if the cat is infected, he handles the cat, gets fecal matter on his hands and then touches his mouth. Hooksworms can also be transmitted through very thin skin. For this to happen, the cat would have to be infected, fecal matter would have to be on the ground, and your son would have to walk around barefoot and step in it.

Skin problems, such as ringworm, can be highly contagious. IF you cat develops ringworm, your son can get it through skin to skin contact with the cat. Ringworm is annoying, but easy to treat (can take some time) and not life threatening.

Just take good care of the cat and you'll have no problems