Where to put the box and what litter?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im going to be getting a kitten and I want to get some input on where to place the litter box, and what kind of litter to use (mind you im in Puerto Rico so it will have to be from WalMart)

This is a basic layout of the house. The front door is in the living room, to the right is a small kitchen. There are 3 bedrooms: My sons bedroom, my bedroom and a spare room across the house.

I plan on closing all bedroom doors when Im away so kitty doesnt have the chance to poop pee elsewhere. Im thinking of putting the box in either the bathroom or the spareroom (in the closet)

I have to make sure my son can somehow get into the litterbox so im leaning towards putting it in the spareroom. Anyone have any thoughts?

Were do you have the litterbox?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is every litter the same? Ive seen a litter that has a yellow/orange bag, what kind of litter should I look for?

I have a potential kitten lined up *crosses fingers* so Im going to Walmart to get a box, litter, scoop and a bit of food

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, they are different
. Some are scoopable (urine soaked litter hardens into lumps that you can scoop out, instead of dumping the whole litterbox everytime- one a month, usually), some are just clay that you change the whole box, some are dehydrating crystals that dry out the urine, and you just scoop the poo for 3-4 weeks, and then dump it, some are made of pine pellets... It really depends on the age of the kitten you are getting- all of my adult cats have the scoopable, and I really like it. I don't know what age kittens usually get over eating litter if they happen to eat it at all- mine never did that I remember- but I know you aren't supposed to use scoopable with really young kittens. Someone else may know that and let you know
. All these kinds are available at WM in the US. I think most people just find one they like through trial and error

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have mine in the bathroom. That way when he spills litter on the floor, I can sweep it up. (And sometimes he accidently steps in his poop so he tracks it and I can easily clean it up from the tile rather than having to practically shampoo the carpet) Plus a bathroom is the most appropriate place for something like that.

I use Tidy Cats Multiple Cat Clumping litter. I only have one cat, but I love the stuff. I buy huge jugs of it for pretty cheap. (Something you could get at WalMart)
Clumping is easiest to clean up. However, I use liners, so instead of always having to scoop, I can just throw the whole thing away and it's more sanitary, and less hassle.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by friskie

I have mine in the bathroom. That way when he spills litter on the floor, I can sweep it up. (And sometimes he accidently steps in his poop so he tracks it and I can easily clean it up from the tile rather than having to practically shampoo the carpet) Plus a bathroom is the most appropriate place for something like that.

I use Tidy Cats Multiple Cat Clumping litter. I only have one cat, but I love the stuff. I buy huge jugs of it for pretty cheap. (Something you could get at WalMart)
Clumping is easiest to clean up. However, I use liners, so instead of always having to scoop, I can just throw the whole thing away and it's more sanitary, and less hassle.
Oh, I forgot to mention that
- I have one in the bathroom and one in the spare room- exhaust fan and bathroom spray are also nice in the bathroom if your cat is in there just before you
. And with a kitten, the bathroom would be easier to clean up, as friskie said.

I use the same litter, just the Crystals Blend version- also at Walmart, also comes in the 27 lb jug.
. I can't use the liners, though it would be nice if you could- I have one that digs too deep and tears them

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh! Bathroom is a good place. Liners are a bummer. Mine does does occassionallly too! Good luck, I hope this helps!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say the best place would be the bathroom for you. If you are concerned about the kitten going else where while you arent home you can just lock him/her in there while your gone. I have 5 litterboxes. 1 in my room, 1 in here (office), 1 in the cat room and one in the living room for Annie. She wont leave the living room so she has to have one in there.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

Is every litter the same? Ive seen a litter that has a yellow/orange bag, what kind of litter should I look for?

I have a potential kitten lined up *crosses fingers* so Im going to Walmart to get a box, litter, scoop and a bit of food
I use Tidy Cat Small Spaces. I get it at the petstore. But I think they sell it at walmart too. It has a kinda citrusy smell which I love. And it keeps the smell at bay. Bagheera has the worst poo it stinks so bad. As soon as Kitten buries it for him (shes a neat freak) it doesnt stink any more.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd say for a small kitten, get a corn based clumping litter so if the kitten is curious and wants to eat it, (which she/he probably won't), there is no problem caused.

Also, it's a good idea to provide two boxes in case the kitten doesn't want to do both jobs in one. Some cats can be a little odd about that. With two boxes provided and available then there should be no problem with accidents.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 litter boxes in my Living room.One is a small one and the other is the largest that Wal-Mart sells.I use Tidy cats multiple and fresh step.Blaze will not cover her poo if I only use the clumping kind.So, I put the clumping kind (fresh step) in the bottom--about 2 inches and then add the Tidy cats on top of that--about 3 inches.