how long do I cook salmon?

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi fish lovers...

I have had a whole salmon marinating all day in lemon juice, mustard, oil, dill, parsley, s & p...

I have looked it up but find I get different answers for how long to bake...
Anywhere from 400 degrees for 20 minutes to 350 for 35-40 minutes.

I don't absolutely love salmon but like it when its not dry...

BF loves it and I want to make sure it turns out well.

Anyone know the best time and length to bake it for?
Should I just leave it on bake or broil it?

TIA Gals (and Guys!)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably cooked it by now??? It depends if you are baking or broiling it. You don't want to overcook-just until fish flakes easy with a fork. Those times seem abut right. Depends too how thick the sides are too!! Sounds yummy.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salmon is better slightly undercooked than overdone. When serving it cold as a whole fish, I bring it to boiling point in liquid and then turn it off and leave it to cool in the cooking liquid. By the time it is cool it is also cooked perfectly.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marinating a fish all day is not recommended. You'll end up "cooking" it in the marinade.
I like to cook salmon like Jenny - poached in liquid. It stays nice and juicy.

So, how did it turn out in the end?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never make a whole salmon (see recipe I have in fundraising cookbook for a good recipe) But now that we have the tripod grill for over the firepit I want to cook a salmon on a cedar plank!!! I usually broil my salmon (a small fillet) brushed with butter/white wine/lemon juice and various herbs.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, help me. Salmon is good for you or not? Jerry and I are trying to eat healthier and bought some salmon fillets, but on the back of the package it says there are 20 grams of fat in each fillet????????????????????????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, already had cooked it....But thanks for all the replies guys!

It was soooooooo good that I will do it again definitely!

I don't think the amount of lemon juice I used would have cooked it pushylady..
For a whole salmon, I think I used 1/8 of a cup...But you are right about the concept as I have heard that before! I will keep that in mind for future!

I wrapped it in foil and just split the difference in time and degree and cooked it for about 23 mins on 375. It was perfect! And I poured all the lemon marinade juice over the rice.

We had it with grilled zucchini (topped with pesto and sea salt .yum! ) and sliced cherry tomatoes and rice.
My BBQ isn't big enough to cook the salmon or I would have definitely and would like to try the cedar plank thing too!

Anyway, thanks again...I am a converted salmon lover now!

Oh, and Susie...Yes, salmon is very healthy for you. Salmon (like all other oily fish) is high in fat but its the GOOD fat! It also has other anti-oxidants and omega oils that are good for you too! That is why they call it brain food!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Guys, help me. Salmon is good for you or not? Jerry and I are trying to eat healthier and bought some salmon fillets, but on the back of the package it says there are 20 grams of fat in each fillet????????????????????????
There is good fat, and there is bad fat. The fat in Salmon is actually good for you.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

There is good fat, and there is bad fat. The fat in Salmon is actually good for you.
So this good fat wouldn't hurt my cholestoral then?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

So this good fat wouldn't hurt my cholestoral then?
It shouldn't have any effect. Actually, I think the omega-3's in salmon lower cholesterol?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

It shouldn't have any effect. Actually, I think the omega-3's in salmon lower cholesterol?
See, I learn something new everyday! Thanks guys!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rule of thumb is ten minutes per inch at the thickest part. Not more because then it will be dry. A whole fish with bones is around three inces thick?
With filets an inch thick, it is 5 minutes on each side if you are pan cooking or broiling or poaching. James Beards method. Leaves it just a little pink in the center. melts in your mouth. Ok if it looks a little rare.