How do you make your spaghetti?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I alternate between topping it with an Italian-y ground hamburger/tomato sauce topping (tonight's dinner) or a can of Hormel beanless chili. The topping dictates the sides that go with it (garlic bread and salad vs. breadsticks and steamed green beans).

How do you like to cook your spaghetti?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook mine the way they do in italy, so i add olive oil and a little bit of salt to a big pot of boiling water and in another pot i will make the sauce from scratch and let it simmer for an hour or so

Then i will add the tomato sauce into the bolognese mix or what ever.

Or i will make a really cheesy sauce and add all the cheeses i find in the fridge along with a little milk or cream

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I make my spaghetti sauce with lots of mushrooms and veggies (celery, carrot, spices, bay leaves, tomatoes and a bit of tomatoe paste) and usually top it with grilled chicken. I also am a big fan of quick Chicken Parmesian (Italien bread crumbs and some provolone or mozzerella cheese and I am in business)!

Ground turkey or chicken (or beef) is also good, especially if it cooks with the sauce (takes about 1-2 hours).

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only top my spaghetti with my homemade sauce. I know Cincinnati-style chili is on spaghetti, but that always seemed odd to me :shrug:

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use whole wheat spaghetti. Yum! I really only like mine with tomato sauce.

Cincinnati chili is good; you should try it sometime. It does seem a bit strange, but it's actually good.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love to make the cause from scratch and use good fresh parmesan, but lack of time usually means I use a premade bottle of sauce and whatever cheese is in the fridge

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

I only top my spaghetti with my homemade sauce. I know Cincinnati-style chili is on spaghetti, but that always seemed odd to me :shrug:
My mom grew up near Cincy, so we grew up on Skyline chili. It's a bit sweet for my taste (they put cinnamon in it!) but it's a bit of alright

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

My mom grew up near Cincy, so we grew up on Skyline chili. It's a bit sweet for my taste (they put cinnamon in it!) but it's a bit of alright
I've had chili with cinnamon and dark chocolate. Both were good. Strange, but good

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You gals are weird. Chili on spag~???

I don't like too tomatoey sauce so I generally mix up some tomato sauce with an alfredo (if storebought) and its kind of a rosee sauce then...

But MY FAVE is a white wine reduction with TONS of garlic, lemon juice, tons of pepper, chillis, pure butter, a dollop of pesto and some fresh basil...
It sounds fancy schmancey but is easy, so
and smells incredible when cooking it...I usually add some shrimp to it and then mix in the pasta (linguini or spag).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll only eat angel hair, NO sauce (too acidic for me,) melted butter in it with parm cheese, MMMM-MMMM, YUMMY!!!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I'll only eat angel hair, NO sauce (too acidic for me,) melted butter in it with parm cheese, MMMM-MMMM, YUMMY!!!!
You get rid of the acid by simmering it for about 30 mins to an hour with half a teaspoon of sugar per can of tomato sauce

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

You get rid of the acid by simmering it for about 30 mins to an hour with half a teaspoon of sugar per can of tomato sauce
Well, that and the fact that I'm really not a fan of tomato anything.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't anyone else just brown the meat, open a jar, pour it on top and let it simmer like I do?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make my own tomato sauce and serve with ground or spiced tomato cream sauce with chicken pieces.
The only sauce I buy in a jar is a sundried tomato alfredo that I serve with chicken

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

Doesn't anyone else just brown the meat, open a jar, pour it on top and let it simmer like I do?
Yup, that's how I do it. I've never heard of putting some of this stuff on spaghetti.

My favorite premade is Ragu, the garden kind with green pepper and onion (or chunky mushroom)...but it's gotta have meat added and be cooked for an hour or two.

The benefit to being a lousy cook is getting to eat out a lot.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm simmering some marina sauce as we speak. I still have tomatoes so I cut them up and simmer for a while then put thru my tomato strainer. Return to ketle, add a bit olive oil, lots of garlic, some onion, I have red and green peppers, some herbs, a bit of red wine and simmer. For meat I will add a mix of browned italian sausage and some ground beef. I jar it and freeze and I'm to chicken to use a pressure canner!!! I'm making cheesy meatball lasagne with this. I only by the jarred stuff at the store of I'm desperate as I haven't found any that taste as good as mine!!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I used to make homemade italian sauce, I don't really have time for it anymore. So I make my spaghetti with sauce from a jar.

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since you asked.

When I was in college we would party on the weekends and have this thing called "drunken Spaghetti" which would take place at someones apartment when everyone was drunk and ready to call it a night.
Someone would Yell drunken spaghetti and we would now its time to head on home.

Here's how it goes.

Bring water to boil. it Takes 4 drunk college kids to get it to work. One puts a dash of salt and turns on the flame. Then every other minute someone of the 4 goes "dude is it done yet" while starring at the pot.

Then once your water is a boil add your noodels. then heat up for prego or Regu or Mr. Newton sause. I dont like meat or mushrooms so i get straight sauce. (this is college remember no fancy sauce here) This takes 2 drunk college kids to heat it up, fighting over how much sauce to heat. then there is one more who comes in and stares at it hoping it's ready before they pass out for the night.

Once its all cooked everyone fights over a serving and sits on ther floor in the living room watching SNL the best of Will Ferrell.
Of course somone has to spill on the carpet or it wouldnt be a good ole meal.
Some finish all of theirs, some eat two bites and wanna puke others are already passed out.

Thats how we do spaghetti!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I'm simmering some marina sauce as we speak.
After al this spaghetti talk I had to have spaghetti for dinner also!!! It's simmering as we speak... type... read... you know!
Ooh and I have goats cheese in the fridge. I wonder what that's like on spaghetti....

Mmmm spaghetti

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I make spghetti. Which is rarely because I dont cook alot. Anyways when I make it. I cook it first normal for a while. Add the sauce then bake it with pepperoni's. YUM!