Am I brushing my cat TOO much??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a five month old Persian Himalayan kitten. I brush him EVERY day for a long time. Even at only five months old, I get a whole hand full of fur brushed out every day which makes me wonder how in the heck he could possibly manufacture so MUCH fur and not be bald from all my brushing. But it also makes me wonder when I see photos of cats that are like mine as an adult with hair flowing down to the floor where you can hardly see their feet, if I stopped brushing him so vigoursly, would he have more hair? I will say that as far as I know, he has never had a hair ball so could I be brushing him too much? I just posted a photo of him yesterday at PERSI, bottom photo, that shows how much hair he has now, but this looks nothing like all these show cats I see, how can their hair be so, so long if their owners are getting a handful of fur out each day?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not expert, but I honestly don't think this is a problem. You should see how much hair I get in MY hairbrush everyday!!!
You'd think I'd be bald by now!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant give you any professional advice but I have to say Persi is gorgeous !!! I love the pictures and comments you have for him !! Did you paint the painting of him ? Very lovely !!

I have 2 long haired cats. I brush them and short haired cats everyday. From all 5, I get enough hair for a new kitten.

I read before that Persi loves to be brushed. Mine do, too !! I show them the brush and they come running !!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I used Photoshop for the painting. I wonder if anybody has ever saved up all that fur and knitted a sweater or something, not that the longhaired cats would need one, but perhaps for a human. Or mabey a real artistic person could even make some type of something to hang on the wall in honor of their friend. I am still amazed that considering how much he eats and how much I scoop out of his litter box that there is enough left over to produce soooo much fur!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't he just the cutest thing?

Brushing is recommended every day for a longhaired cat. He might as well get used to it.
And yes, they shed all the time. I am amazed at how much hair I get from Gizmo, and she is supposed to be growing her winter coat (she is eating more than she did in the summer.)
But don't worry, they won't grow bald!

My vet told me that healthy animals shed. So Persi and Gizmo are both healthy.

Persi really looks like a little doll in the last photo and I love his color.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its more with genetics - some persians have better coats then others.

First you should be using a comb and not a brush on a longhair. And persians/himalayans need daily (or every other day) combing to keep the tangles from forming.

You might want to skip every other day and see what happens. But its probably the parents that contributed to the coat he has.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, and thanks. I am using a comb which removes much more hair than the brush, which does not seem to remove hardly any at all. We had to leave for the weekend and when I combed him this morning he was already matted up after missing two days. I really had a couple of handfulls. I am certainly not complaining, I want him to have a long full amount of hair! Guess us men always want more hair than we have! By the way, both nights we were gone, I called him and left a one minute message for him, I know he was listening!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

By the way, both nights we were gone, I called him and left a one minute message for him, I know he was listening!
Awww thats so sweet. You are such a good Daddy to Persi

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you will all know what I am talking about, please see the last two photos on this page: Persi's grooming (This is a normal day's worth.) But like this lady said, I am not going to worry about it any more, after all, I find hair in MY brush too!