Canned Or Dry?

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am on the search for a kitten, and seeing that ive never owned an indoor cat before, is canned better than dry?

Do cats adjust well on a diet of both?

I want to do whats best for my kitten and would love to know which is better to feed! Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes many cats eat both.. Wet is best as mositure wise it mimics natural prey and it has more protein and fat with less carbs than dry...

dottydotcom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All our cats, including the 20-year-old we have now have lived long happy and healthy lives. We feed them both canned and dried as well as some "people food" whenever they want it. Also an occassional can of tuna. I think they need at least some dried food because it contains some fiber and roughage which is good for their digestive system. Let me quickly say that I assume it's good for them, based on experience. I'm not a veterinarian, but I've kept cats all my adult life and I'm pretty old.

We also are very careful to keep them supplied with fresh water -- probably good for their kidneys and urinary tract, etc.

Our cats are also allowed to go out of doors, which most cat owners say is dangerous and a big no-no. But I want them to have their freedom. They also eat grass outside, which is (I think) good for them too. During the short winters here, I grow grass inside for them.

Jeez! What pampered and spoiled kitty cats! Eh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know plenty on dog nutrition, but Im wondering, is Iams a bad food for cats?

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to let my boys free feed dry food. I thought it was what was best for them. However, both cats got too heavy on it. Since my trixter was diagnosed with diabetes I have switched them to Friskies canned foods with low carbs (less than 10%). See Janet and Binkys Food Chart here www.felinediabetes.com for lists of foods with carb content listings (which were gotten directly from the manufacturers, as carb content is not listed on the labels). My boys are now VERY well hydrated, coats look better, and they are maintaining healthy weights and are FULL of endless energy now. My diabetic gained back the weight he needed AND no longer needs insulin injections (he is diet controled), and my 2 year old lost weight he needed to lose on this diet. The canned foods give them everything they need. Too many carbs are VERY bad for a kitty. They cause the pancreas to over work, and blood sugar to skyrocket. Most dry foods (even prescription diets) are 35-50% carbs. Cats dont chase buscuits or corn and wheat meal around a bush in the wild to have their dinner. lol. I believe that dry food had a huge part in why my Trixter is diabetic. If I would have known what I know now about feline nutrition and what the dry kitty crack kibbles can do to a felines health, I would have NEVER offered a single piece of dry food to either of my boys, ever. As I said, they eat nothing but canned foods now with low carbs and are doing better than ever.

Enjoy your new baby! How exciting!
Hope my babbling helped! lol

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JulieKit

I know plenty on dog nutrition, but Im wondering, is Iams a bad food for cats?
Iams is not a bad food but there are ones that are more digestable and have better ingrediants....

There is a search button on the tool bar ... type in food or brands of food and youll get loads of info ....

Dog and cat nutrition are different but not so much as many think///

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't consider Iams a good food. Gizmo was eating it when I got her. I saw that the first three ingredients included carbs (corn) and since the cat had allergies, I got her off it--her health immediately improved and got even better once she switched to a non-chicken protein source.
Of course a kitten is different. You should feed kitten-specific foods, and I'd give it canned food if it will eat it, and some dry for snacking (but not too much). California Natural is a good, inexpensive brand of high protein cat food that I can recommend highly; there may be others. If you can avoid store brands (Meow Mix, etc.) you should be able to find good quality foods for your kitten.

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Canned is better than dry, in many ways, IMHO. I personally feed a raw diet to my cats, but I feed a dry and canned diet to my fosters. I free feed them a MEASURED amount of dry food, with canned food in the morning and evening. I would not consider IAMS to be a good food. Any kind of grocery store food is a low quality one, as far as I'm concerned. Here are a few good quality foods I recommend:

-Innova
-Innova EVO
-California Natural
-TimberWolf Organics
-Artemis
-Wellness
-Solid Gold
-Natural Balance
-Felidae
-Eagle Pack Holistic Select
-Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul
-Pinnacle