cronic cough - any experience?

ernbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had our 2 yr old cat neutered when he was 6 months old. At that time, he got extremely ill due to fluid entering his lung during surgery. Since then we have been through a few bouts of him getting what sounds like a deep lung congested cough and he is put on antibiotics. About 2 months ago, we took in a few stray kittens and they were infected with upper respiratory infection, which set off our adult cat once again. He has now been coughing for about 4 weeks. We just received our 3rd round of antibiotics yesterday and this time it will be administered with another antibiotic that is suppose to work in conjunction with the original antibiotic. I love our vet, but I am not convinced that the vet is doing all that needs to be done. Personally, I think the vet is covering for what happened during his surgery 2 yrs ago and will not admit that this will be an on-going issue for him. Could the fluid in his lung during surgery effect him for the rest of his life? And should I be seeking care from another vet or is antibiotics my only solution? I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what to do next....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get a second opnion... I have no personal experience with lung conditions but your cat sounds like me I have chronic bronchitis

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by ernbee

We had our 2 yr old cat neutered when he was 6 months old. At that time, he got extremely ill due to fluid entering his lung during surgery. Since then we have been through a few bouts of him getting what sounds like a deep lung congested cough and he is put on antibiotics. About 2 months ago, we took in a few stray kittens and they were infected with upper respiratory infection, which set off our adult cat once again. He has now been coughing for about 4 weeks. We just received our 3rd round of antibiotics yesterday and this time it will be administered with another antibiotic that is suppose to work in conjunction with the original antibiotic. I love our vet, but I am not convinced that the vet is doing all that needs to be done. Personally, I think the vet is covering for what happened during his surgery 2 yrs ago and will not admit that this will be an on-going issue for him. Could the fluid in his lung during surgery effect him for the rest of his life? And should I be seeking care from another vet or is antibiotics my only solution? I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know what to do next....
I'd see an internist. It may be asthma now, which is what my cat has. A Veterinary Internist will help you, I know mine did

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ernbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the feedback. I noticed that one of the meds that my vet prescribed this time is to treat asthma. He seems to be doing ok now, but he is still on the antibiotic. The true test will be a week after his last pill is taken!