I love you guys!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy I found this site last year. I can't begin to tell you the rude forums that are out there that I've come across. I'm sure some of you have run into some as well. You guys are always soooooo nice! Thanks!!

I went looking for gardening advice this morning on a garden forum. Searched the threads, found a couple of posts about what I was looking for, but the posts were on wintering the plant in a garage/basement/etc. I wanted advice on whether it could be brought into my home to grow over the winter. Know what I got for a response? "If you had read the thread you would see your questions have already been answered"
No they haven't!! So I kindly responded again what I was looking for and thanked them for the helpful advice and friendly response.
So now - to my sweet friends
- Can any of you gardeners out there help me out? I have Purple Fountain Grass and a Canna that I would love to bring in the house over the winter (I"m in Zone 5). Problem is I"m not sure it can be done and if it can - how do I do it? I know you just can't bring them inside and be done with it. Already tried to bring my Canna in overnight a few times and left it in front of an open window so it felt the same temps but it's already looking a bit sad.
Can anyone help me out? Any expert gardeners out there?

Thanks guys!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no gardener, but did you try the Verdant forum link all the way at the top of the page? It's Anne's new forum....

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo, I wish I could help, but unfortunately, I'm not familiar with those particular plants.

I just wanted to echo what you've said about this being one of the best and most friendly forums out there! I love it here, too!!!
I hope that someone here can help answer your questions!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked our Verdant Forums? I'm not a gardener, but even to me it looks promising. Click the link at the top of the page, and you'll find a lot of your TCS friends over there.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask Gail, she is the gardener on this site!
and shes extra super duper friendly i bet you!!

I love Gail!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with trying out Verdant Forums. You will find the same atmosphere there as on TCS.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the site already (mostly because it looks the same as this site and I'm not the best at adapting to change.
)

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

I'm there so you can have your input on my garden at the new house i've just bought
I posted my 2 cents!
Looks like you've got a great area to work with. I'll have to post some pics of mine too. Like you - I've got room to "design".

And now - I'd like to thank you guys for ruining my life
- I now have a forum for my 2 favorite things in life - cats and gardening. Now I"m never going to leave my computer.
They'll find me years from now, just a pile of bones with both skeletal hands on my keyboard and two window open - one to TCS and one to VF.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

I posted my 2 cents!
Looks like you've got a great area to work with. I'll have to post some pics of mine too. Like you - I've got room to "design".
I'm about to leave the office but i'll go and have a look when i get home

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
probably won't be there till later today or tomorrow. I'm off to the fair for the day!
Looking forward to getting advice though!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to dig canna's up as they cannot survive the winter. The best time to do this is after the 1st freeze (the foliage will be "dead") Be careful as these are "tubers" when you dig up so you don't damage them. Then store in cool dry place-in slightly dampened peat moss or sawdust. Check them about January to make sure not moldy/shriveled up. Instead of waiting until late spring to plant directly outdoors you can pot up about 6 weeks ahead of time so they can start rowing earlier!!
As for purple fountain grass this is a heat loving annual. I have tried for a couple of years to "overwinter" The 1st yr not successful-last year I bought in before hard freeze (or cover if you are unable to do this). I did not cut back the plant until mid winter-it did "recover" and grow but seemed a bit slow. I've had one greenhouse tell me they cut it back and let it go a bit dormant-but when I did that the 1st time -it didn't grow back!!
I buy then wholesale so its cheaper now for me to get new ones. I haven't tried started seeds from the seedheads nor have a seen "seeds" in which to start them. One of my supplier's buy her's wholesale too. If you ever have and plant questions just pm me!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

You have to dig canna's up as they cannot survive the winter. The best time to do this is after the 1st freeze (the foliage will be "dead") Be careful as these are "tubers" when you dig up so you don't damage them. Then store in cool dry place-in slightly dampened peat moss or sawdust. Check them about January to make sure not moldy/shriveled up. Instead of waiting until late spring to plant directly outdoors you can pot up about 6 weeks ahead of time so they can start rowing earlier!!
As for purple fountain grass this is a heat loving annual. I have tried for a couple of years to "overwinter" The 1st yr not successful-last year I bought in before hard freeze (or cover if you are unable to do this). I did not cut back the plant until mid winter-it did "recover" and grow but seemed a bit slow. I've had one greenhouse tell me they cut it back and let it go a bit dormant-but when I did that the 1st time -it didn't grow back!!
I buy then wholesale so its cheaper now for me to get new ones. I haven't tried started seeds from the seedheads nor have a seen "seeds" in which to start them. One of my supplier's buy her's wholesale too. If you ever have and plant questions just pm me!!
Thanks Gail! you're the best!
I figured the Canna had to be brought in just like other rizomes (sp?), but I guess I was hoping I could just throw it in the house as a house plant. It's so beautiful. Good to hear I can start it early in a pot though. That's great. As for my fountain grass - I'm very sad to hear this won't make it pretty much no matter what I do. It's huge and loves where it is. Maybe just for the hell of it (since I know it won't make it in the house or winterizing it in a garage or something), I'll really lay on some really thick bedding around it. Maybe there's a slight chance in he** it might make it because of it's location. It's on the south side of the house between mine and my neighbors house and it's close to my foundation. Very sheltered. Maybe if we have a mild winter - it will have a chance. Sounds like I shouldn't cut it back though from what you've said.
Guess I'll let you know next spring -

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that the fountain grass grows yr round in a southern florida climate!!! Better hope for global warming!!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I've been told that the fountain grass grows yr round in a southern florida climate!!! Better hope for global warming!!!
Maybe I'll have to move