Ducking, Scratching n' Jumping

renaessance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in no way "at the end of my rope," but I am curious about a few things:
A: My male kitten does this adorable head-ducking, face-hiding thing when I pick him up. He loves being held and often dips his head into the crook of my arm that's supporting him. Does anyone know why he does this?
B: The same cat has also shown his sister how to jump onto things. They've taken to jumping onto the kitchen counter, the tops of our UPPER cupboards, & my bedroom dressers. How do I get them to stop w/o drenching them or making them hate me?
C: They both scratch the linoleum next to their food as if they're either urinating or trying to bury something. There's no urine around, but I think (after reading an article here) they might be marking territory. Any help?

Many thanks!
Ren

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well 1st of welcome to TCS, its great here, with lots of advice, help and support........oh and we have a bit of fun now and then

What an interesting question, and I am sure they have been covered here somewhere

heres my views

a/ Cats love to head-but and nudge, think he just loves you, your his mama

b/ jumping onto things - this is very hard to stop, as you know cats like to climb, maybe you could either buy or create a little area for jumping & climbing on. Use shoe boxes, old crates etc, anything thats safe of course.

c/this has defo been asked here before, its just seems to be a weird habit cats have

Well enjoy the site and I am sure you will get lots of other tips and hints on your question

When you have time maybe you could post a photo of your fur-family

we LOVE photos here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renaessance

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Much appreciated for the warm welcome and advice! N' I'd love to post some pics of my babies!! Where would I do so?

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by renaessance

I'm in no way "at the end of my rope," but I am curious about a few things:
A: My male kitten does this adorable head-ducking, face-hiding thing when I pick him up. He loves being held and often dips his head into the crook of my arm that's supporting him. Does anyone know why he does this?
B: The same cat has also shown his sister how to jump onto things. They've taken to jumping onto the kitchen counter, the tops of our UPPER cupboards, & my bedroom dressers. How do I get them to stop w/o drenching them or making them hate me?
C: They both scratch the linoleum next to their food as if they're either urinating or trying to bury something. There's no urine around, but I think (after reading an article here) they might be marking territory. Any help?

Many thanks!
Ren
My cat used to scratch around the food bowl too! Especially right after she's done eating. I always thought it was to clean up the crumbs that got dropped near her food bowl. She was always kind of a funny eater, she'd take a mouthful of food out of the food bowl, kind of drop it near the food bowl, squat down and start chomping, and after she's done, she'd kind of "sweep" toward her food bowl.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are trying to bury the left over food to save it for later. Some cats do it and some don't. I have 10 cats and only one does this and only to canned food.

You can put pictures in the fur pictures section under the Cat Lounge forum.