Catdictionary -- Learning Cat Language

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
We need a catdictionary.
That is - communication that the cat teaches us. Mine know several things I say to them, but I only know about two of their "words", or "sign language".

The meows are hard to define, other than things like "I'm hungry" - and then there are several sounds that are definate sounds that let us know it's time to eat.

I've picked up two things, one - a ca-ca-ca sound, - when a bird comes near the window - I learned this from a cat that was my daughter's.
When KiKi arrived, we bird watched together, and when a bird arrived on the bush, I'd mimic him, and he knew what I was telling him. So, whenever I'm at the window by myself and a bird arrives, I start making that sound and KiKi runs to see the bird too. The kittens are just looking at me trying to figure out what I'm doing.

The second thing I learned was using my hand in the "stop" position. I learned this from Phoebe. When the kittens were about 8 weeks, I happen to feed Phoebe first, and Simon tried to "share". Well, this time she wanted the food all for herself, and Simon got the message when she just held up her front paw - as if to push him away. He knew what she meant, so I figured if I did the same when necessary, they, too, would know what I meant.

It works. Sometimes KiKi gets a little too rough with one of the kittens. I go over to them, get KiKi's attention and hold up my hand as if to push him off, and he backs up - off of the kitten. It has worked on every other occassion that I've used it.

I find these things interesting, and I bet others have plenty things they do/say that "communicates" in cat language - do you have something that you might be able to add to the catdictionary?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

We need a catdictionary.
That is - communication that the cat teaches us. Mine know several things I say to them, but I only know about two of their "words", or "sign language".

The meows are hard to define, other than things like "I'm hungry" - and then there are several sounds that are definate sounds that let us know it's time to eat.

I've picked up two things, one - a ca-ca-ca sound, - when a bird comes near the window - I learned this from a cat that was my daughter's.
When KiKi arrived, we bird watched together, and when a bird arrived on the bush, I'd mimic him, and he knew what I was telling him. So, whenever I'm at the window by myself and a bird arrives, I start making that sound and KiKi runs to see the bird too. The kittens are just looking at me trying to figure out what I'm doing.

The second thing I learned was using my hand in the "stop" position. I learned this from Phoebe. When the kittens were about 8 weeks, I happen to feed Phoebe first, and Simon tried to "share". Well, this time she wanted the food all for herself, and Simon got the message when she just held up her front paw - as if to push him away. He knew what she meant, so I figured if I did the same when necessary, they, too, would know what I meant.

It works. Sometimes KiKi gets a little too rough with one of the kittens. I go over to them, get KiKi's attention and hold up my hand as if to push him off, and he backs up - off of the kitten. It has worked on every other occassion that I've used it.

I find these things interesting, and I bet others have plenty things they do/say that "communicates" in cat language - do you have something that you might be able to add to the catdictionary?
Let's add: MEOW, SILENT MEOW, PURR, CHATTER, CHIRPS, HISS, SPIT, GROWL, AND YOWL. All of these are described in detail in the books I have so I will just start with MEOW, the most obvious, and let other's join in on your quest to build all of us a dictionary. Meow has a variety of meanings; the pitch helps you with all the different definitions. Experts say that the more disturbed the kitten is, the lower the pitch of the meow. A higher pitched meow says, "I am glad you are home." Your cat can also convey urgency; "Feed me, now!" Slightly different sounds and emphasis convey a request or a complaint. Oh by the way, the last one, YOWL, means it is time to get your little girl fixed; she is in heat.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am here learning so I cannot add anything to help, just make additional requests.

What would help me out a lot is understand the noises they make when they are sick, too. Like sneezing, coughing etc.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i tap mine on the nose for "no". i read in some cat book that mama cats do that to their kittens. it's worked for me, too!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that my kitten has 2 different happy purrs - the usual contented one, and a deeper one when I give him something to eat that he really likes, I think of that as his 'THANK YOU!!!' purr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
KiKi - his first growl was when a person (I think it was the first time he saw our pool guy) came into the yard.

KiKi has a very low growl - now I know it's a warning of something, and I go look to see what the problem is. This kind of thing has happend offen enough for me to have gotten his "message" of warning me. I think that protective-like growl is what reminds me of a dog-like attribute.

Today he heard some unknown noise in the kitchen - we (Phoebe & KiKi and me) were in the bedroom - he got up and started toward the noise and growled. Very interesting. I guess I have a "watch-cat" instead of a "watch-dog".

KiKi and the kittens stayed at a distance while I went to see what it was, and once I told them it was "Okay", they came in the kitchen. (a hand vac had fallen over).

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Teach on Persi - the meows are the hardest for me - wow, there's so many!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

I am here learning so I cannot add anything to help, just make additional requests.

What would help me out a lot is understand the noises they make when they are sick, too. Like sneezing, coughing etc.
I can't help here, but I know someone will be able to add these important "words" to our Catdictionary.

The only thing I could add is when KiKi was sick - I think from a spider he ate??) he was very quiet - which was in contrast to his "usual" talkative communication.

lunchbox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens:
  • Mew (high pitched and thin) - a polite plea for help - could be "feed me", "play with me", "comfort me", "I have an itch", etc.
  • MEW! (loud and frantic) - an urgent plea for help - "I'm stuck!" or "It hurts!"
Adult cats:
  • mew - plea for attention - "Can I go outside?" "Are you going to pick me up?"
  • mew (soundless) - a very polite plea for attention (this is Paul Gallico's "Silent Miaow" which is probably a sound pitched too high for human ears)
  • meow - emphatic plea for attention - "I need to go outside, I have a date!"
  • MEOW! - a command! - "Let me in, there's a dog!"
  • mee-o-ow (with falling cadence) - protest or whine - "Can I go out NOW?"
  • MEE-o-ow (shrill whine) - stronger protest "Quit it, that hurts!"
  • MYUP! (short, sharp, single note) - righteous indignation - "Let me down."
  • MEOW! Meow! (repeated) - panicky call for help - "I'm trapped in a room and I'm hungry!"
  • mier-r-r-ow (chirrup with liting cadence) - friendly greeting - "Hey, I missed you! How was work?"
Tomcats:
  • RR-YOWWW-EEOW-RR-YOW-OR - caterwaul
  • merrow - challenge to another male
  • meriow - courting call to female
Mother cats:
  • MEE-OW - come and get it!
  • meOW - follow me!
  • ME R-R-R-ROW - take cover!
  • mer ROW! - No! or Stop It!
  • mreeeep (burbled) - hello greeting to kittens and disarming greeting to adult cats (also used between adult cats and humans)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Napoleon has a special meow that sounds just like 'no' when he does not want to do something that he knows I want. Like yesterday he was the last one out and I called him. He came as far as the fence and showed me he was playing with something, then gave this definite meow which meant 'no. i am having fun and I will not come in yet'. Every time I called his name I got the same answer! He finally got tired and hungry and showed up an hour later.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Maggie has a meow that sounds for all the world like she's saying, Maa Maa. Of coarse I always respond, Yes dear, so this has reinforced this sound. It usually means she wants something food or attention.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo says "MEH" when she's not pleased with something. If I'm away for a day or so, she'll greet me with this short exclamation.

Gizmo also talks in kitty 'sentences,' but I can't possibly write down how she does it. She'd have to be videotaped.

animal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so is there a cat book on different sounds..if so id like the name plz..wouldnt it be great to talk cat to our furry friends..ive got the food one of to a t and the let me out one..

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by animal

so is there a cat book on different sounds..if so id like the name plz..wouldnt it be great to talk cat to our furry friends..ive got the food one of to a t and the let me out one..
Persi, you spoke of "books", would you be able to provide us titles?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other night, Ginger woke me up at about 5 a.m. with a very loud: "Meow-yow-yow-yow-YOW" that she kept repeating. I ignored her, as I usually do when I'm trying to stay sleeping, and later that morning, I walked around to the side of my bed where she'd been "talking" and found her favorite catnip toy lying there.

She talks to her toys, especially in the wee hours.

I wish I knew what she was being so emphatic about!

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday when I was preparing dinner for the boys (I have 3 now...another stray added)...Miles (BF) was commenting on how only two of ours (Rocky and Jack..the new guy) are so loud and Lovey doesn't say a word (he is the biggest and the babiest)...

All of a sudden, Lovey lets out his only sound...a little mew chirp as if to say...Hey I can talk too!! It's the only sound he makes and I love it..
(I can't decide if its a kitten mew or a mreep greeting)

I love this thread and would like to know if there is a book on cat vocals too...

I also like the "sign language" cats use...like head bumps or face pats.
This is so unique to every cat with intensity, presence or reasons why...

IE, Rocky is a FIERCE head butter while Lovey prefers the delicate pat-pat and silent mew or mreep to get me to pet him. It's so darling!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
in additionto all the words described already, Abi has a little "here I am " sound she makes when she jumps up on me ready for a snuggle. it's almost an involuntary mew as she lands. Then she starts making biscuits and purring bigtime. Also then there is the "help me" I cant find the fly sound when she wants me to bat a moth or fly from high up to a place where she can catch it on her own. she usually prefers to hunt alone but if frustrated will come to me with a very soft pathetic meow which means "I need hunting help. "

I have only heard her growl once, at the vet, and she hasn't hissed ever that I have heard.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

I have only heard her growl once, at the vet, and she hasn't hissed ever that I have heard.
Growling is so scary to me! Jack does it low, loud and long when he feels cornered by Rocky and it just freaks me out so much that I end up stepping in and re-directing them asap.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Growling is so scary to me! Jack does it low, loud and long when he feels cornered by Rocky and it just freaks me out so much that I end up stepping in and re-directing them asap.
Getting to know the signals from each "personality" comes with time. I've learned Phoebe play growls and hisses.

At first when KiKi had Phoebe "pinned", she was both hissing and growling, so, like you, I thought this was a place where I needed to intervene.

But, one time, (I shared this earlier, I think) she was pinned, and growling & hissing - KiKi wasn't giving up - even after me pulling him off several times. So, I actually picked her up to "save her", that's when she protested to me and slapped at ME :-),
I re=thunk my "take" on all her growling and hissing.

(Boy, I got that message loud and clear - "leave us alone, I'm having fun!"
)

I actually think, now, that she's just like a child who screams while she is playing (which can drive you crazy, too) ... - so, now - I just observe, and let them at it.

But it is really scary!

These "vocals" at play are just part of her personality it seems.

But, when KiKi growls, I know this warning means business, and usually it's something I'd better go check out. (He has never growled at the babies, but he makes noises like he's being hurt, and talks to them as he's playing and they're biting at his head.

KiKi purr talks a lot, and I'm beginning to kinda know the different communications - he mostly purr talks just when he's going to do something, or greet me - like before jumping into the bed with me.

I'm hoping he's teaching the babies to purr-talk too, it's so sweet it melts my heart.

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smeagol talks so often that I couldn't tell ya what each one meant. Its funny, when he was younger, if he was getting into something or up somewhere where he shouldnt be (near the bird, or behind electronics with cords, etc) he would tell on himself by meowing really loudly. lol

One thing I have noticed that no one has mentioned here, is my Trixters "I'm gonna be sick" meow. If he is sick to his tummy (he used to throw up often when he was eating dry food) he will say "yaloddle-loddle-loddle" and then throw up.
Its so sad, but it was the same every time, so we knew what was about to happen. Its amazing the different types of sounds they use to communicate, isn't it?

Smeagol will play hiss, too. When he was a baby he couldn't hiss yet, so he would attack a toy and say "Keh!" He still does that once in a while, too.

Trixter is very demanding when he is hungry. While I am preparing his meal, he will "yell" at me. The meow will be very drawn out, somewhat deep in tone, and very demanding sounding, "Meroooooow!!!" it sounds like NOWWW!!lol

Also, when Trixter is going to the vets, he cries the whole way with long, drawn out crying meows. Those words break my heart!