Losing hair on stomach?

chell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently got a Ragdoll kitten... and he is starting to lose his hair under his arms and on his stomach... under his arms is pretty much gone and on his stomach it is very thin. The first few days we had him he cleaned himself A LOT in those areas. We took him to the vet two days ago and they did a skin scraping and nothing came up. He had no fleas or mites. They gave me Revolution anyway and some shampoo to use on him and said to start giving him baths. What could cause this? I am so worried about my baby... has anyone else experienced this with their cats or kittens?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would advise either taking kitty back to that vet or find a new one... My Zoey pulled fur out aka excessive licking hers was food allergies ... WHat is the kitty eating?? have you used different cleaners ???

landwish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of shampoo did they give you to bathe the kitten with? It sounds as though the vet may suspect Ringworm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would advise either taking kitty back to that vet or find a new one... My Zoey pulled fur out aka excessive licking hers was food allergies ... WHat is the kitty eating?? have you used different cleaners ???
The vet just said if it didn't clear up to bring him back in... but I really wanted to know if it is something more serious. I wish they would have at least tested for a few other things... He is eating a mix of Iams Kitten (what the breeder fed), and Royal Canin BabyCat (what I am going to feed him). When we got him last Friday from the breeder his hair was already thinned. You're right, maybe I should just go to another vet to see what they say. Thanks for your reply!

chell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by landwish

What kind of shampoo did they give you to bathe the kitten with? It sounds as though the vet may suspect Ringworm.
The vet just gave me regular shampoo... something called Fresh 'n Clean and said to bathe him every other week. They didn't test for ringworm, but I wish they would have.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes try a new vet ... but I am immediately wondering if baby has a corn allergy..

chell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes try a new vet ... but I am immediately wondering if baby has a corn allergy..
What do you suggest I do? Do you know of a certain food for kittens that doesn't have corn in it? It's definitely worth a try to see if that is the case...

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sharky probably knows the brands better than me, but I would try a wet food diet and look for corn in the ingrediants. I believe (not sure) that many won't have corn in it, mostly in the dry food as a filler. If I recall correctly the meow mix pouches (look for the ones with no by-products) dosen't have corn and very healthy. Also check out nutro wet food, but I can't remember off the top of my head about that one.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felidea is a all stage that I think is good quality without any type of corn ... Natural balence is also a no corn all stage
Timberwolf organics or serrengetti depending where you are is another good one
Evo
Innova

In wet Nutro , Natural balence , meow mix( fish heavy), Evangers, Eagle pack , Felidea , Merrick