Baby food and kidney disease

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, all. One of our kitties, Kirby, won't eat wet food but felt left out when all of the others ate theirs. I wanted to see her happy, so I started feeding her about 2-3 teaspoons of chicken baby food once a day several months ago. Last month I was talking with the owner of a natural pet food store, who said that baby food could cause kidney disease. Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't think the small amount I give her could be harmful - people feed their animals cooked chicken all the time. She eats a wholesome super premium holistic dry food the rest of the time. Any thoughts?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by spiritedstef

Hi, all. One of our kitties, Kirby, won't eat wet food but felt left out when all of the others ate theirs. I wanted to see her happy, so I started feeding her about 2-3 teaspoons of chicken baby food once a day several months ago. Last month I was talking with the owner of a natural pet food store, who said that baby food could cause kidney disease. Has anyone ever heard of this? I don't think the small amount I give her could be harmful - people feed their animals cooked chicken all the time. She eats a wholesome super premium holistic dry food the rest of the time. Any thoughts?
My first question would be, Why do you think she felt left out? Did she really feel that way or was that your feeling? Mika prefers dry food and Bijou wet so they have both, and since Mika is tiny I don't worry about a weight issue with her and she also drinks more water than Bijou so it works well for our two. Human food does not have the additives cats need, such as taurine for one, so I can't believe it would be all that good for her. I know that if one is having problems getting a cat to eat anything at all, that giving baby food (the kind without garlic or onions) can coax them to eat and then you start back on the cat food. Feeding cooked chicken to cats is not a bad thing as long as it isn't too much and for too long a period of time. What dry food is she eating? I read some of the ingredients in the "holistic" foods at our local pet supply store and honestly wouldn't feed them to my cats. Most had by-products and too much grain for my liking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She seemed to feel left out because she would sniff the food, back away from it, and stare at me and start meowing.
I tried to garlic to no avail. I just figured in the small amount I give her it would be ok. We feed Eagle Pack holistic chicken and rice, which is the main source of nutrients for them all. The wet is just a little treat in the morning.