Toy obsession?!

xandlyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little boy cat, Naraku, has become completely and utterly obsessed with one toy in the house. The toy being the cat dancer. He sleeps all day while I'm at work but when I come home it's hi mom, then he sits next to his toy until I play with him. Well, his toy is always in the bed room and if I take the toy out of the bedroom he still sits in the bedroom where his toy should be. If I ignore him he will happily sit in that spot all night. Don't get me wrong I love playing with him and I want to play with him...but is there such thing as a cat being too obsessed with their toys?

I've bought him other toys to try and get him off this one toy but he takes no interest. Even if I accidently step on the cat dancer and it slightly twitches he's all over it. I've hid that toy for a couple of weeks and only had out other toys that I tried to play with him with. He would have nothing of it. Just sat in that one spot. It's a little frustrating...but cute.

Any suggestions? Or am I alone in this toy obsession.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Vash is cat dancer obsessed.
I bought the cat dancer compleat and hung it on the front door where he can amuse himself with it (though I have to put it away at night).
After a week or so, he'd go and get into other toys and play with them, but he always goes back to the cat dancer.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo has mink fur toys, several foxtails, rabbit tails, and furry little mice.

her favorite toy is a ratty old piece of rabbit fur mixed with mink and some feathers that I stitched together out of three 'Furry Feather Bugs". The original toy pulled apart in seconds, so I had to attach it to a leather shoelace and 'fly-cat' it up and down the hall. Gizzy likes to chase it into a cheese shaped cat puzzle, under sofas, on her kitty palace...but she does NOT want to do it with any of the other nice toys, including one that is ALSO made of the Furry Feather Bug!

Like her taste in cat food, Gizmo's toy preferences can be a little ratty and gross looking by human standards. I feel it's okay as long as she likes it.

She is also crazy about empty toilet paper rolls. She'll happily roll around rabbit-kicking these with a 'scupp, scupp' sound.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's maddening when they do this. Sam has not a toy....but an old knit glove of mine that he carries around and proudly shows off, sleeps on and I even find it in the food bowl once in a while. The sad part is my DH and I now call it Glovey. That's pretty pathetic, but it does wash up nice.

Clio has one of the acrylic wands with a polar fleece strip that she loves and will sit by it until you give her a few runs around the chair with it. I finally had to ignore her and just do it when I wanted to, otherwise I would have had to quit my job and do the wand thing with her all day. I've rolled over on it in bed a few times, it travels throughout the house.
Naraku will probably become less interested as time goes on, but will still have periods of total involvement with it. How old is he and how long has he had the dancer?
~Rhonda

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the Cat Charmer is an excellent toy that used to amuse Gizmo before she got her furry ones.

Gizmo parades around with a foxtail when she wants to play. Once she stalked in disgustedly and dumped the thing on my feet, since I'd been ignoring her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xandlyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

Clio has one of the acrylic wands with a polar fleece strip that she loves and will sit by it until you give her a few runs around the chair with it. I finally had to ignore her and just do it when I wanted to, otherwise I would have had to quit my job and do the wand thing with her all day. I've rolled over on it in bed a few times, it travels throughout the house.
I have that exact same wand. My girl nepenthy carries that toy through out the house and meows when it's in her mouth. Once I give notice to her doing this I call her name and look at her and she'll drop her toy and walk away. Then I go to try and play with her with it and she acts like I'm nuts!

Originally Posted by jean-ji

Naraku will probably become less interested as time goes on, but will still have periods of total involvement with it. How old is he and how long has he had the dancer?
~Rhonda
He's almost 2 years old. I had it for him when we first got him at 4 months old (it really belonged to the other cat), but we put it away because he kept us up all night with it. I forgot about it for awhile and so did he. But I ran accross it about 6 months ago and gave it back to him. Now it's always that toy. I love playing with him and he really enjoys that toy...it's just I think he's a little too obsessed with it. I hope he does grow out of the obsession part.