Will his fur change color?

sabotagehex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a new 9 week old kitten, Hex (he has 6 toes), for free from a women giving kittens away on my street corner. While i've had cats before, i've never had one this young. He is all black with some white fur mixed in on the tips of his ears and near his genetalia, he also has a few white strands of fur scattered throughout (very few, wouldn't notice them if you just glanced at him) When i brought him into the clinic for vaccinations, the vet tech said "ooo looks like he's going to have some stripes" Can the fur change that drastically? I have a tabby that was striped from the day i got him at 5 months. Does the fur change that much in the first months?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SabotageHEX

I just got a new 9 week old kitten, Hex (he has 6 toes), for free from a women giving kittens away on my street corner. While i've had cats before, i've never had one this young. He is all black with some white fur mixed in on the tips of his ears and near his genetalia, he also has a few white strands of fur scattered throughout (very few, wouldn't notice them if you just glanced at him) When i brought him into the clinic for vaccinations, the vet tech said "ooo looks like he's going to have some stripes" Can the fur change that drastically? I have a tabby that was striped from the day i got him at 5 months. Does the fur change that much in the first months?
Some markings do become more appearant as a kitten ages...but it depends on the kitten.

Katie

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of cats that appear to be black actually have some stripes. Look at him in the bright sunlight, and you may see some stripes.

My baby Gopher has appeared black since birth, but at 4 weeks I am beginning to see light striping in the bright sunlight. He has 2 black siblings (previous litter), so I think he will still look black when he grows up....but will probably always have that stripy pattern. I think his overcoat is black, but the fuzzies near his skin vary from gray to black.

Gopher!

Gopher in bed...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!! Cuteness! You should've warned us!

Six weeks though... how cruel of that woman to give them away so young--they still need momma cat! At least this one landed in a good home though... is he eating OK or does he still take kitten milk?

landwish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got two dark, solid grey kittens when they were 1 day (or less) old. Now, one is a light grey tabby and the other is a light grey tabby with lots of orange patches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabotagehex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Callista - the kitten is actually 9 weeks, but i was pretty appalled that she was just handing them out on the street. She said she had 4 more that were taken pretty quickly but no one wanted the six toed one. How could i say no? My two dogs and other cat have taken to him very well and Hex has gotten pretty gutsy. He's eating fine, a mix of canned and dry kitten food.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all...
to Gopher!!!!

I think almost all black cats can look tabby in a certain light. When our little Bear was born he looked a bit tabby too, but he was all black eventually.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No - if it was a tabby, it would be a tabby from day one. BUT sometimes you have ghost tabby markings if a parent was a tabby. Ling started as a blue tabby and even tho she is now black/white, in the sunlite you can see the tabby markings.

But if they were not there at the start, they won't be later on.

As far as the few white hairs, the kitten will probably not change color, per say - just a sprinkling of white hairs. Maybe mom or dad had some white patches on them.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my 6 week old kitten's have started changing colour , they were all black when born but the last few week's u can see strip's not only in the sunlight either also 1 of them has gotten a few grey patche's behind her ear's and just under her chin only slighty but there deffently there , u can see it even though there isn't much light so i know it isn't just the sun light , her sister was born a tabby just getting slighty darker as she get's older