How long after neutering for behavior change?

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sunny is probably under anethesia for his neuter as I type. Or done. But anyways, how long does it take to know if neutering helped him calm down? I've had and been around countless cats in my life, including volunteering at a cat rescue center. And Sunny takes the prize for being the WILDEST non-feral cat I've ever seen! Granted he is usually gentle with his claws and teeth, but he's going at double speed all the time. Day and night! He relentlessly attacks feet of anyone (human or animal) that's walking, beats the heck out of my 70+ pound Golden mix dog, attacks whatever may be on the floor, and is so mean to my kitten that I can't let them be in the same room together. He will run and play until he's panting, and won't stop on his own. If I can restrain him for a few minutes, he will get a drink, a bite to eat, and pass out for a couple hours, then he's right back to it.
He's about 4 mos old, and a tad on the above-average side for size. He's most likely going to be a big boy. Another thing I noticed about him is that his...bits....are unusually large for a cat his size. To the point that company has noticed and commented about them. Could he be producing unusual amounts of testosterone that could attribute to his behavior? I mean it's all normal kitten stuff, but multiplied by like ten!

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello.I dont have any advice but just want to say my kitten Tiger is acting the same , with normal kitten behaviour although ten times madder (see my thread above) and his bits are very large i would say but then i dont know his exact age, although i was told hes around 5-6 mths by the vet.Tiger also goes for feet even when they are still he drives me nuts!

Ill be keeping an eye on your thread to see if anyone knows!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked at the clinic and they said that some cats just have bigger bits than others. But that it could be that he was producing more testosterone than normal. She said I should start seeing SOME difference in 2-3 weeks, and it could take as much as 6 weeks for the complete changes to be apparent.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fatkitties

Sunny is probably under anethesia for his neuter as I type. Or done. But anyways, how long does it take to know if neutering helped him calm down? I've had and been around countless cats in my life, including volunteering at a cat rescue center. And Sunny takes the prize for being the WILDEST non-feral cat I've ever seen! Granted he is usually gentle with his claws and teeth, but he's going at double speed all the time. Day and night! He relentlessly attacks feet of anyone (human or animal) that's walking, beats the heck out of my 70+ pound Golden mix dog, attacks whatever may be on the floor, and is so mean to my kitten that I can't let them be in the same room together. He will run and play until he's panting, and won't stop on his own. If I can restrain him for a few minutes, he will get a drink, a bite to eat, and pass out for a couple hours, then he's right back to it.
He's about 4 mos old, and a tad on the above-average side for size. He's most likely going to be a big boy. Another thing I noticed about him is that his...bits....are unusually large for a cat his size. To the point that company has noticed and commented about them. Could he be producing unusual amounts of testosterone that could attribute to his behavior? I mean it's all normal kitten stuff, but multiplied by like ten!
Persi was neutured at four months, one month ago. I never saw any difference but then I guess he was never as wild as you say your cat is. I did not nueter him to calm him down but hopefully to keep him from spraying and of course because Bob Barker told me to!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its possible (about the size of his "equipment") that its overdosing him. You should see a change in him in a few weeks. But being still a kitten, he'll have kitten energy for awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I didn't neuter him just to try to calm him down. It was definitely mostly to keep him from spraying and all the other nice little behaviors that toms have. But I"m hoping that the calming down is a happy side effect! Today, you can't tell anything was even done. He doesn't act the least bit sore and is right back to normal. My poor doggy, though, had a very rough day and is just now starting to act normal again. Of course a spay is much more involved than a neuter, but I think the drugs made her sick. Yesterday was a hard day for her!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was quite amazed at how quickly Pippin settled down after his op, we had his op when he was just over a year old - Financially I was unable to do it any earlier and all attempts to keep him in failed (he actually broke the cat flap to get out on plenty occasions!)! Within days of the he seemed more docile and seemed happier inside than out! 6 months down the line and there is a vast difference in his behavior - 6 months ago i'd never even dare try keep him indoors (new flat, new rules, new life), nor would I ever have picked him up without his approval... now he's completely indoors cat and he loves being cuddled!
Hopefully all will go as planned for your kitty!

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My orange tabby was a real trouble maker, I neutured him cos *it was time*, he was 5 months and was recommended to do so. Well before he was neutured he would attack my daughter all day. He used to dip his claws in her little butt, she runs for helps and he undresses her bottoms without mercy. She still has scars. I think he used to play with her, but rough play. He used to attack her feet as well. After he was neutured the problem seemed to fade, he is so calm now, always sleep and askes my daughter to pet him, can you beleive it?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our both studs, Muskis and his son Vagis, being spayed as grown up, about 3 years resp 2,5 year. Their male troubles disappeared in less than one week. A couple of days you may say without laying.

But Vagis joyous galopps och jumpings etc he has still undiminished.

So their male problems disappear 2 days - several months, most in-between. Including some aggresiveness of course.

Their normal cat behavior dont changes. Usually they get more playful and harmonic - seen if they are cut as adults.

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about the female? Does their behaviour change when they get spayed ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by xerr

What about the female? Does their behaviour change when they get spayed ?
Females change less. Males are seeking female all the time and therefore troubled by this, female seeks male company only when in heat...
Of course no heat, or weaker heat (some females seems to get in heat - probably because there is sometimes some tissues left).
Tendecies to pissing as some females in heat do have - disappear.

Some females on p-pills get harsh in temperament instead. This disappears after spaying.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really think it all depends on each individual cat. We can all tell our experiences but your cat may be the complete opposite. Hopefully neutering will calm him down, it should. But you never know. Good luck.

bengalsmum: I think your cat is overdue to be neutered. It can be done at 8 weeks old or 2 lbs. there is no good reason at all to wait until 6 months or older to do it. Might want to schedule that appointment before he starts spraying.

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
bengalsmum: I think your cat is overdue to be neutered. It can be done at 8 weeks old or 2 lbs. there is no good reason at all to wait until 6 months or older to do it. Might want to schedule that appointment before he starts spraying.
  • Spaying and neutering before six months is considered "early spay/neuter." It is practiced (UK practised) by shelters in order to ensure compliance with spaying and neutering. But it is not risk-free. Exposure to estrogen (in females) and testosterone (in males) is important, for example, in the formation of bone-density. Cats deprived of their hormone too soon have a raised risk of diabetes. A cat with diabetes is preferable to an unwanted litter -- but a responsible owner would do well to get Kitty's gonads removed concurrent with sexual maturity, or (in most cats) at least five pounds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand what you are saying. This is apparently also what the swedish vets feel. As in Sweden the contemporary standard is 6 month, and it wasnt long ago when it was 12 months...

Yet, in the countries where they do early spaying, the USA for example, it seems they dont notice any real negative consequences. This had been done long enough to get reliable statistics.
IF there is any raised rate of diabetes is more than well explained by the extensive use of dry food with much carbos...

Also, the vets tell the healing is usually easier with the young ones. With boys its no big deal to heal. But with girls the easier healing does counts.
  • Spaying and neutering before six months is considered "early spay/neuter." It is practiced (UK practised) by shelters in order to ensure compliance with spaying and neutering. But it is not risk-free. Exposure to estrogen (in females) and testosterone (in males) is important, for example, in the formation of bone-density. Cats deprived of their hormone too soon have a raised risk of diabetes. A cat with diabetes is preferable to an unwanted litter -- but a responsible owner would do well to get Kitty's gonads removed concurrent with sexual maturity, or (in most cats) at least five pounds.

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Point taken re: high-carbohydrate foods (aye! what to do? my cats leave the balanced food behind and eat meow mix or generic by preference). But according to Brennan McKenzie, 2010, the risk of diabetes is raised with respect to intact cats.

Re: easier healing: at the cost of having the sex organs less developed (stay in their juvenile form) (I am not making this up), and, at any age: possibly reduced bone density and definitely reduced muscle mass. It hurts that after all these years there is not a (commonly known and effective) better way to send the message to kitties not to reproduce.

Last edited by a moderator:

geomac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 yr old female that was spayed at 9 mths.She has a steroid shot every 2 mths for health issues.Recently toke in a 3 yr old stray male.had him neutered 3 weeks ago.Introduced them slowly and they were getting along God's.Then he starting going after her whenever she came into a room.Had to start putting him back in closed room at night and when they are home alone.Female is showing stress ,she tries to make friends with him.Last 2 nights he's clawing at door trying to get out of room. He is a great cat ex