Feeding help

steve'n'tiggy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was feeding a group of 3 kittens outside. they are starving like walking ribs.but they are so afraid i can't get 15 feet of them. there was a larger one that was the "leader" and he took them around to the food.well last week a friend of mine found the"leader" 2 streets over he had been hit and killed. i have not seen the kittens since then. with no leader they don't come around to eat. i tried to put food out for them and leave it but the possum's ate it. any ideas on getting the poor hungry babies to come and eat? i don't want to keep them or trap them or anything i just want to feed the hungry little things so they know they always have food. i feel so sad for them hungry and just lost the "alpha" of the group.

Help me to better help them. steve'n'tiggy.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by steve'n'tiggy

i was feeding a group of 3 kittens outside. they are starving like walking ribs.but they are so afraid i can't get 15 feet of them. there was a larger one that was the "leader" and he took them around to the food.well last week a friend of mine found the"leader" 2 streets over he had been hit and killed. i have not seen the kittens since then. with no leader they don't come around to eat. i tried to put food out for them and leave it but the possum's ate it. any ideas on getting the poor hungry babies to come and eat? i don't want to keep them or trap them or anything i just want to feed the hungry little things so they know they always have food. i feel so sad for them hungry and just lost the "alpha" of the group.

Help me to better help them. steve'n'tiggy.
Steve...hopefully they have moved on to someone else's yard who is providing them with food.

But let's address the bigger issue of feeding strays without a plan to trap them and have them fixed. As these kittens become older and can breed, you may find yourself with even more mouths to feed..and more mouths and more mouths. The most humane thing to do is to start feeding with a plan to trap and take the kittens/cats to the vet to be spayed/neutered and then returned. It is healthier for them and it keeps their numbers in check.

A great site to read about TNR is the Alley Cat Allies website:

http://www.alleycat.org/index.html

Katie