Dogs... ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's because I'm a "cat person" but dogs really do get on my nerves. My neighbors have a dog, and I guess they lock him up in a room when they leave or something, but every freakin' morning I can hear him through the wall whining and barking, and scratching and just having a fit (and it's obvious he's destroying stuff), and I'm trying to get my sleep (I work evenings).
... What can ya' do?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, personally I love just about every animal out there including dogs. I have a wolf/german shepherd mix and a Collie/Aussie mix. I foster both puppies and kittens. So I definitely do not hate dogs.
I do however understand how annoying it can be to be constantly woken up to loud barking and whining. I would definitely discuss this with your neighbor...they probably don't even realize how much it bothers you....I would kindly let them know that you are unable to sleep due to the noise and ask them if they would consider several alternatives to help aleviate this problem. If they aren't willing to cooperate, I would go to the head of the property and have a talk with them about the situation.Good luck sweetie!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Maybe it's because I'm a "cat person" but dogs really do get on my nerves. My neighbors have a dog, and I guess they lock him up in a room when they leave or something, but every freakin' morning I can hear him through the wall whining and barking, and scratching and just having a fit (and it's obvious he's destroying stuff), and I'm trying to get my sleep (I work evenings).
... What can ya' do?
I just typed out a huge response and then Bagheera knockd my cell onto the keyboard and it dissapeared so I'll do a short version. When I lived with Stan there was a dog in the apartment above us that did the same thing. We warned the owner over and over. They did nothing to stop it. We wrote a letter explaining that if the dog made any noise between 10 pm and 9 am other then a couple of barks then we would contact our landlord and animal control. They didnt stop the dog and after a whole night of the dog making allsorts of noise when the owners where gone one time. We called AC and the landlord. They eventually got evicted because they would not control their dog. I have 2 dogs and dogs are my favorite animals. But I dont want to be kept up all night by any animal.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like most animals. sounds like he is having problems cause he is being left alone. maybe you can ask them to put him in a different room ? away from your wall.
I work nights so i know how hard sometimes in the mornings it can be to get some sleep.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be a good idea to contact the owners about this dog, or better still, your local humane society. That kind of behaviour sounds like the poor thing is desperately lonely and bored, and that is a dreadful situation for any dog. My heart aches for that poor animal. I'm sorry your sleep is being disturbed, it's a very frustrating situation.

If you can help this poor dog in its distress, however, I think your problem will be solved too!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a dog person at all. We have 2 here and they drive me crazy with their barking. I am definitly a cat person, not a dog person.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m a dog person as well as a cat person.. I just love animals.. I feel like the ambassador for animals since they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t talk.. But if they bark a lot, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s up your neighbors to fix this. They have those collars that when they bark they get a warning, and then zapped. (I know some people make think itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s inhumane, but it does work,, even a low setting).. My two dogs (Rotti and Cocker) arenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t real barker. The cocker is whiner, and sometimes barks and howls,, but a quick “Knock it off Mookie) and then he stops. He mostly just hates the crate, that why he does that.. Maybe their dogs needs a crate instead of a whole room, and a little music or tv,, that keeps my dogs happy. Good luck… My advice is talk to the neighbors, and let them know what is going on,, maybe they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s bothering you. My sister used to live by me, and she had no clue that my neice would kick the wall at night,, and then she rearranged the furniture.. We donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t live in the apt anymore,, but it helped out a lot… If their responsible pet owners, theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll fix it.. Otherwise get the landlord involved if they wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t try…. But give them a chance to fix it… Good luck..

ashleigh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I think it would be a good idea to contact the owners about this dog, or better still, your local humane society. That kind of behaviour sounds like the poor thing is desperately lonely and bored, and that is a dreadful situation for any dog. My heart aches for that poor animal. I'm sorry your sleep is being disturbed, it's a very frustrating situation.

If you can help this poor dog in its distress, however, I think your problem will be solved too!
My sentiments also, dogs get bored and lonely and fret, maybe the owners do not even realise he is doing it and just assume when they are out he is just fine. I'd definatly go over for a chat with them and take it from there, if they aren't aware of it then this would be a good time to make them aware, if they just don't give a hoot then you can take it from there.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's more then obvious I love ALL animals.

But I don't think that my animals should inconvenince other people.
We have Jake in a crate when we're gone so he doesn't tear the house apart. He's gotten into a routine about it. He will go into his crate on his own.. I'm glad I live in a house because I know for a FACT that we would get kicked out

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
talk to your neighbor. they may not even know it is going on. gently also suggest they start to get their dog crate trained.

Its not just dogs that do this....my downstairs neighbor has a very very loud grandson who does alot of stuff very early...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!

I'm scared of dogs, so I purposefully got a place in a building that doesn't allow dogs. Of course my landlord has a huge police-dog-looking dog that they keep in the apartment below mine (the model) when they're here (not too often...) and it sometimes barks and I know how loud that can be! Zissou kinda freaks out and sometimes the dog barks even more because he can hear her running around.

Anyway, I agree, talk to them nicely first and just let them know "You know, I work evenings and so I'm sleeping in the daytime, and sometimes your dog keeps me awake barking" sort of thing. They probably think you're at work too, and that it isn't bothering you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so sad that a pack animal is left alone
Too often, people chose dogs over cats because you can give a dog a lousy life, and he'll put up with whatever he has to, cuz Nature made him dependent on the pack. Cats, at first opportunity, are designed independent - they're with us (for the most part) because they want to be
to properly care for a dog takes about the same amount of time per day as a race horse - and it sounds like your neighbors are clueless

Your complaining might help both you AND their dog - sounds like the dog needs doggy daycare.

awsome pawsomes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 dogs ( rotti X , border collie X, and a jackrussel x ). I'm a real animal nut. Couldn't live with out them. I keep my dogs quiet by plenty of exercise plenty of stimulating toys, like treat balls , kongs even some good meaty bones. It also helps that there is more than one. Sometimes it helps if the t.v. or a radio is left on. A dark area that is like a cave or den can also help.
this is some suggestions you could give your neighbours . If they will listen. Some people seem to think that they know what is best for their pets instead of listening to other peoples advice.
Personally i take and try most things that people suggest with all my animals

valkerie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

... What can ya' do?
I"m a all round animal lover and I know that if a dog is
upset when owners go out then it was"nt trained right what they need to do is make out they are leaving the house and sit out side a few moments and walk back in and heep doing this training for about a week making the minutes longer then the dog will start to feel secure that mummy and daddy are coming back all it is a seperation thing going on here nothing major

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a dog person, but no one around here believes me when I say that
I can understand how frustrating it must be for you to have to hear the neighbors dog carrying on like this. I would try to have a talk with the neighbors to discuss the situation with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Well, one of the major hurdles was getting in touch with the guy, he's not around when I'm awake or at home, and I don't know his number and whatnot, so I left him a note explaining the situation and some contact info. This morning I didn't hear anything so he must've done something. Was finally able to get some shut eye
. The funny thing is, since it's been going on for so long, I think I automatically kinda woke up at the time he usually starts whining expecting to hear whining and barking and had a little trouble falling back asleep.

Normally I don't show any outward dislike for dogs, just kinda "meh" walk away. But when they start acting funny because their owners have "had enough with them" or can't control them, I think that's when it gets on my nerves. When I used to live in NYC, all along the block people would have dogs and just leave them outside in the yard at night and they'd fuel off each other howling and barking (and if you get near then they growl and bear teeth
). Fortunately the windows and walls were thick enough to keep most of it out. I have pretty sensitive ears, so loud stuff in general bothers me (stereos, screeching parrots, lawn mower in the morning
). I have pretty sensitive smell too, so maybe it's also the smell. Large dogs also kind of freak me out, especially if it's not a dog you know and have no idea how well it's been trained (or it appears the owner is having trouble controlling him). They have real potential to harm you (several people have been mauled by poorly trained or wild dogs near where I live).

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that its seemingly resolved...and you were able to resolve it without incident with the neighbour!!
Sounds like the poor dog has some separation anxiety..

This can be tough to tackle but it can be done...

Anyway, hope it continues to go well!