The Evil Landlord strikes again..

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And frankly I am at the end of my rope with him. And i am trying to decide how to report this one.

So our tub has been plugged for Months, we have to bail it out to use it and when you use the bathroom sink, it backs up and drains into the tub..we have called several times and asked him to schedule something with us to come over and fix it. Or give us the ok to call a plumber and we will deduct it from the rent. Never a reply, we would have done something sooner but well we have been busy and obviously the landlord not concerned..

Well, after my trip to the ER i was all nice and snuggled into bed,and theres a RAP RAP RAP on the door, at 8am....the landlord. wanting in the ouse to fix the tub..
neighbor lady finally complained there is water behind her wall (my uncle says that means its not just the tub theres issues with the pipes)

I am so ticked off, he didnt give us ANY notice,NONE NIL NADA. and i have NO doubt, if i would have ignored his knocking (which is very LOUD and Very Obnoxious and he doesnt STOP) he would have just let himself in. The dogs were up cause they are still sleeping. ME TOO

OH I AM SOOOOOOO MAD!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the " good" side hopefully the "plumbing issue will be resolved".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooo that i doubt, lol highly. He knows nada about plumbing or general maitence for that matter..

Same guy who didnt get a permit for roofing, also didnt replace the rotten wood just covered it with tar paper...

Powerwashed the house on a cold day (and my front door which flooded my kitchen)

took 4 months to replace our other tub...that had a huge crack (which turned into a hole) in it..lol

SOOO not holding my breath but it would be nice

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry you are going through this!

I know how you feel, at our old apartment the landlord was not only absentee, but a complete moron. The couple that "ran" the complex was the daughter and son-in-law of the property owner, and the SIL was the maintenance guy(who had no knowledge whatsoever about anything that involved manual labor). When our soap dish fell out of the wall of our shower, he cemented it back up 4 times without cocking it so it just kept falling off. Finally I told him he may want to **** around it and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. ???

Then there was the time that our bedroom window A/C unit started leaking really bad. Called on Sunday to report the leak, told him in the message that since it was August (in S FL) and in the bedroom, I would continue to run the A/C only at night with towels and a pan under it until he fixed it. He randomly showed up on Friday (6 DAYS LATER) and yelled at me for puting a wet towel on the hardwood floor. "Next time," he said, "rig something to catch the water." WHERE'S THE FRUITBAT????
I called you 6 Days Ago! There are only 8 apartments in this dump and it takes you 6 DAYS to come fix it?????

There are a million more stories of the morons, but I won't get into it.

I hope they fix your tub, I know how it feels, hopefully your next place will be much better!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your plumbing problems...i feel your pain. I came back from a business trip, went to take a nice long shower and watched while the tub filled up around me. It slowly drained but when i turned on the sink it backed up into the tub. I went to Home Depot and got this super duper strenth drain opener (it has sulphuric acid or something in it), and carefully poured it down the drain (1/3 of the bottle), covered the drain with a bowl for 30 minutes and then flushed the drain. VOILA...running pipes again!!

(just offering this advice in case your incompetent landlord puts you on hold again before fixing it.)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely go to your local news station!!!! They always help out with things like that. You have renters rights and are entitled to a clean and healthy apartment! In Memphis, several of the news stations do a nightly and weekly segment called "dirty landlords" and "renters rights" where they investigate bad landlords and air the segment on tv- the landlords ALWAYS wind up having to fix the problem and make amends
It works! They don't like the bad press!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
isnt it time to pack up and move?

Youve had so many problems with this moron, i reckon you should just go to the radio station

Since we are all ranting here about our places, my new apartment they just put new hardwood floors, anyway, they took out the heaters, and now.. I have no heater!! I am going to freeze this winter!

the bathroom sink pipe leaks and so does the kitchen sink!

Oh and she told me that the apartment was painted, 2 weeks later it looked so rotten, its now all pretty because im done painting!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Oooo that i doubt, lol highly. He knows nada about plumbing or general maitence for that matter..

Same guy who didnt get a permit for roofing, also didnt replace the rotten wood just covered it with tar paper...

Powerwashed the house on a cold day (and my front door which flooded my kitchen)

took 4 months to replace our other tub...that had a huge crack (which turned into a hole) in it..lol

SOOO not holding my breath but it would be nice
That totally sucks!
I too have been in your shoes. We finally got fed up and moved. That might be your only choice. I do know that you can send him a certified letter that if he doesn't get the repairs done you're going to withhold the rent. It's totally legal

About the roofing... You don't ALWAYS have to pull a permit. Especially if you're doing it yourself or by a family member. The rotten wood might not have been rotten but could have just been wet... still in all he sounds like a JERK

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There seem to be a disconnect underneath my bathtub. Everytime someone showers the kitchen rains. They have came a dozen times over two years. Each time they caulked around the bathtub. There has to be half an inch of caulk build-up around the bathtub!!!

If they did not let me have my cats I would have moved out already. Nowadays I only shower twice a week.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel - on the plus size my building was sold last year and the new owner let me have a cat.

However, everything else has been a disaster. While I have been fortunate not to have any serious problems like you (yet), she and the co-owner are doing all the refurb and maintenance on their own - in their "free" time which isn't much. The yard is awful, there are killer weeds and trash, the basement floods terribly and stinks of mildew (I have stuff ruined), the garbage and waste from tenents moving wasn't removed, just moved to a broken garage next to mine, and worst of all - they upped my rent $150 a month!!! None of the promised and much needed improvements (windows that work and don't leak, patching cracks and painting, carpets cleaned) have happened. I can't imagine how awful it would be if I needed plumbing or electrical done - they really do an amateur and half-assed job of things.

And how awful that the landlord just showed up like that without notice - that would really freak me out and I can't stand the thought of anyone being here if I am not. My landlord at least called - she called and said "I am outside your back door".
I, of course, was sick, not dressed, looked like hell and smelled even worse.

Good luck with everything.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

That totally sucks!
I too have been in your shoes. We finally got fed up and moved. That might be your only choice. I do know that you can send him a certified letter that if he doesn't get the repairs done you're going to withhold the rent. It's totally legal

About the roofing... You don't ALWAYS have to pull a permit. Especially if you're doing it yourself or by a family member. The rotten wood might not have been rotten but could have just been wet... still in all he sounds like a JERK
Oh trust me, its rotten, and you DO need a permit in this city. I called the local permit guy and they came out and posted and he had to pay DOUBLE the permit fee Plus a bunch of fines,
My God father does Roofing
so i know rotten wood.....kinda tell tail when theres a big hole in it...
we plan on moving just as soon as we have the cashola saved. COME ON WEDDING MONEYS

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Steve Luckily closed today so he was home (he does not like when the landlord comes over with just me home)

And well shocking enough he fixed the drain, he was here for 3 hours, and he poured GASOLINE down the drain....

But it drains now.