Poor baby... NALA

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to post this,, this is a cat that is posted on Petfinder.org near my area.. Her name is NALA.. They call her post NALA Mutilated.. So sad
I can't help her out, because I have dogs and 4 cats/kittens.
Read her story.. It's so sad!!

Nala is a stunningly gorgeous cat who will likely never get a home after being mutilated by her former owners choice. Sadly, her behavior after her mutilating declaw operation was unacceptable to them and she stopped using her litter box regularly. We realize she will likely never be adopted and will have to live as a foster cat for her remaining years. Forgotten by her former family who chose to have her declawed. Please stop, read and think. If you are offended by the truth of what happens in declaw operations, do not read further. If you want Nala's full story, read on. If you are considering declawing your furbaby, please read about what Nala suffered for the sake of her owners furniture. Maybe you think this will make your cat a more agreeable cat or that you have no viable alternative left. Maybe you have convinced yourself that really the operation is no big deal; sure it's tough, but kitty will be back to her old self in a few days. THis was not how Nala's story went. Or maybe you are picking out a new kitten and have already resigned yourself to the idea that soon you will have to make that fateful trip with kitty to the vet. Before you make an irreversible decision, let me tell you what happened to Nala. "Who is this person?" you are probably asking yourself. I'm the person who will greet you and your cat when you step in the door on the day of your pets surgery. I'm the veterinary technician who assisted in Nala's declaw mutilation. If you really want to know how things truly are back in the OR, I'm the one who's got the skinny. I'll be taking care of Nala before, during, and after her mutilation (or surgery as we like to call it). Let me tell you my story.... this is what happens: I get to work around 8:00 and check on all our patients. I have to get the clinic in working order so we can begin checking in the surgery patients at 8:30. You are the first client here. We fill out the paperwork and you hand me kitty and say "I'll be back tomorrow . Don't worry!" Then you head out the door, get in your car and go wherever it is you are going. I weigh Nala and make her comfortable in her cage. Around 2:00 or so, Nala's time has come. She gets some anesthesia and some pain medicine and she's out like a light. I shave between all of her toes and scrub them clean. I have everything ready: the nail clippers, hemostats, glue, tape, bandage. It's show time. I hold up one of Nala's feet and the doc begins: The procedure is sort of a half pull, half cut kinda thing. The nail clippers are doing their best to saw through the joint while the hemostats are ripping it away. And please make no mistake here, this isn't a nail trim. A cat's first joint, just like on your finger, is being ripped out. Nala utters a half growl/meow of pain as the joint tears away, even after all this medicine. The pain must be excruciating; it is certainly a gruesome spectacle to watch. Doc fills the gaping socket where Nala's toe used to be with some special glue and squeezes it together for a few seconds. We move on to the next toe until we're done. Now we bandage and when we're done Nala looks as though she's wearing little mittens...aww. I come in the next morning and reach for the doorknob to the recovery room. "Crap!" I think, because the smell hits my brain before I even open the door to see. Blood has a very specific odor, you see, and after a while you have the ability to recognize many things: parvo, cancer, bloody declaw cats that don't seem to like their mittens- all by their respective smells. Sure enough, Nala got a head start on removing her bandages so I begin my day scrubbing her blood off the walls, the door, the floor, and his cage. I clean the blood off Nala's fur the best I can and begin to take off her bandages. I try so hard to be gentle but I know I still hurt. I have to cut down the bandage until I'm right beside Nala's purple swollen toes and she cries. I examine each hole where Nala used to have claws and make sure they are all still sealed. They never are, of course. There is invariably at least one or two that must be reglued, so I sigh and get my glue. Then I drop some goo into Nala's socket and squeeze her tender and bruised deformed little toes together for several seconds. This hurts. A lot. And I feel like the scum of the earth. I clean the last bit of blood from Nala's feet as best I can without hurting too bad and hope that Nala will finish the job herself before you come. You rush in on your lunch hour and I bring out Nala and remind you that Nala's feet are going to be very sore for a while. You already knew that.....bye Nala. Three months later you bring Nala in to update her shots. You ask me why Nala doesn't seem like the cat she used to be anymore. She never wants to play or do much of anything. And she has turned into a biter! You don't understand, you tell me. Why isn't Nala the same? I don't know why. But I do know that when I watch my cats play (who all have their claws) they love to scratch on trees, climb up trees, hunt moths... (you know, cat stuff). And I know that cats who don't have claws would find it very difficult to climb a tree, and scratching is definitely out. Scratching is something domestic cats really enjoy- I know this because my cats used to have contests around the scratching post. They would fling themselves around it and see who could scratch the fastest and the hardest. I had 8 cats all with claws intact in my house. I also had a brand new couch; the two co-existed peacefully. It wasn't easy, I admit. Training a cat requires patience, much like children. I used waterguns and scratching posts. Please remember if you have a kitten that some materials may be too rough on your kitten's claws. It takes a while to break these things in- give it a little time! Try a carpeted scratching post that also has the heavy duty stuff. I kept my cats' nails trimmed regularly, starting as kittens. Try SoftPaws. Provide fun distractions: my cats had a 6 foot tall cat tree and they loved it! As far as biting goes, this is a common "side effect". Cats with no claws have no other means of expressing dissatisfaction with their lot in life and resort to biting. Or maybe they are just mad at the world now. I don't know. And finally, for those have attempted to rationalize a declaw by comparing it to a spay/neuter- you aren't even in the same ballpark. A spay/neuter cat comes in just like Nala, but she doesn't cry during her surgery. She gets to go home that very day while Nala must wait behind. She bounces and runs around the house that very night because she is so glad to be home. She doesn't even seem to notice that she will never be a mom. Meanwhile Nala is getting a pain injection. Our doc stopped doing ear crops. I hope declaws are the next to go. Mutilation in the name of aesthetics or convenience is still mutilation. Don't add another 'Nala' to the world of unwanted, problem pets who are deemed 'unacceptable' through no fault of their own.

PS:: Mods--If this is in the wrong area,, sorry!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is long,, but I read it again,, and I just feel so bad for this cat... I'm so glad I use soft paws.. I just wish I could find her a home..

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish my cousin would have seen this but she wouldn't have listened she got her cat declawed and now she bites and she is saying she might take her back where she got her and get a new cat and if it bites she will take it back. She had a dog but it just stayed outside locked in a kennel all by itself and only got petted when she fed it. I really wish more people really loved these poor innocent lives.
Thank you for this post.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

I wish my cousin would have seen this but she wouldn't have listened she got her cat declawed and now she bites and she is saying she might take her back where she got her and get a new cat and if it bites she will take it back. She had a dog but it just stayed outside locked in a kennel all by itself and only got petted when she fed it. I really wish more people really loved these poor innocent lives.
Thank you for this post.
You are right,,... I wish more people would be smart and listen... The poor things.

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I completely aggree that declawing is inhumane and mutilation, I do, however, want to point out that a similar story could be written about any major surgury(having worked with horses my whole life I have seen some serisouly traumatic medical incidents). The BIG difference is that declawing is the owner's choice. It isn't for the health or happiness of the cat, not is it better for all catkind (like neutering).

My biggest gripe about declawing is when owners make the choice to declaw, then when the results don't turn out perfect (litter problems, nipping) they give the cat up (like NALA). If you are going to put your cat through this awful surgury, then at least have the intelligence to research the possible side affects. And, be man enough to stand behind your choice by keeping your declawed cat!

A declawed cat in a shelter is basically like puting an unarmed guy into a room of convicted robbers who all have guns. They are usually put in with a lot of cats (who have claws) and learn to defend themselves with hissing and biting.

I was all for declawing before I came on TCS (not having any idea what the surgury actually entailed). I thought, why not? I don't want my leather couch scratched up! But, I have seen from having a cat with claws, they don't do any damage. Carl could care less about my leather couch! He has his scratching post (which is much more fun than my furniture), I spray the apolstered furniture with a natural anti-scratch spray (that doesn't smell or show up), and I keep Soft Paws on him.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

I was all for declawing before I came on TCS (not having any idea what the surgury actually entailed). I thought, why not? I don't want my leather couch scratched up! But, I have seen from having a cat with claws, they don't do any damage. Carl could care less about my leather couch! He has his scratching post (which is much more fun than my furniture), I spray the apolstered furniture with a natural anti-scratch spray (that doesn't smell or show up), and I keep Soft Paws on him.
I was all for declawing too,, until I came on TCS.. I've learned,, and my girls do really well with Soft Paws.. Really really well.. They are a god sent for cats.. I truly believe this!!!!

My biggest gripe about declawing is when owners make the choice to declaw, then when the results don't turn out perfect (litter problems, nipping) they give the cat up (like NALA). If you are going to put your cat through this awful surgury, then at least have the intelligence to research the possible side affects. And, be man enough to stand behind your choice by keeping your declawed cat!
It's not right.. People should have to deal with the circumstances of their choices.. People didn't do the research, so now they have to do more work to get the cat back to where she was before they hurt her soo bad!! She's probably so smart, she'll always hate them for doing this to her.. I wish we could outlaw declawing... I know more laws,, but the poor cats.. Why not do the soft paws.. it's cheaper and more humane.. For GOODNESS SAKE PEOPLE PLEASE THINK!!!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

It's not right.. People should have to deal with the circumstances of their choices.. People didn't do the research, so now they have to do more work to get the cat back to where she was before they hurt her soo bad!! She's probably so smart, she'll always hate them for doing this to her.. I wish we could outlaw declawing... I know more laws,, but the poor cats.. Why not do the soft paws.. it's cheaper and more humane.. For GOODNESS SAKE PEOPLE PLEASE THINK!!!
My Step Mom was telling me the other day about her old cat (who she had way before she married my Dad and declawing was commonplace). She literally said, "I loved my Persian kitty, she was so great. But then I got her declawed because she scratched my sofa. She just turned mean after that, and wouldn't be social--she just wasn't herself. So I had to give her away, since she had turned bad." This pissed me off to no end!
She didn't do anything, you took her in as an adult to have her claws taken off. You are an adult, how would you feel if we had your knuckles cut off??? When I told her I wouldn't be declawing Carl, she asked why. I told her what declawing was and she had no idea.

If you choose to have your cat declawed (and its the owners choice, I am not going to crusify anyone on here who declawed his/her cat, whats done is done), you should have to keep the cat, regardless of the sideaffects. They are YOUR sideaffects!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too was ignorant about declawing.... while I didn't see the need to go and get them declawed, it was the norm when I was younger, everyone I knew as a child that had an indoor cat had them declawed. And when I mentioned to the vet that we hadn't planned on a kitty "finding" us, and never planned on owning one, we didn't want our home to be destroyed with scratching & litter box problems....my vet said that declawing is the absolute last option. And they won't do it unless you have tried soft claws, which they will put on for you for free the 1st time & show you how to put them on.

But I don't know, as much as I would hope to think that people that made a horrid decision by declawing their cat would keep their kitty, and live by their choice....I think, are they going to be so angry that they would hit the cat if it bites, or if it doesn't use the litter box? Maybe it is best that they give up the cat, so that someone with compassion & understanding could adopt the cat with full awareness of it's problems.... I wish I could adopt little Nala, what a beautiful kitty, it's so sad, and such a shame!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to be in favor of declawing until I found out what it entailed. I could never do it to my boys. I know they would be miserable, given the way they use their claws everyday. Freckles former owner had the two cats she kept declawed. (Her boyfriend insisted, and then insisted that she pay for the operation
) One ran away and the other has become anti-social. I tried talking her out of it (telling her about Soft Paws), but she wouldn't listen. I should say she was interested until she got home and talked to her boyfriend. Then the declaw was on because his furniture was so important!

There's a local vet who comes on a radio show once a month for an hour. He claims that declawing isn't bad if you intend to have an indoor cat and it's a choice of the cat or the furniture. I almost go off the road when I hear that.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I used to be in favor of declawing until I found out what it entailed. I could never do it to my boys. I know they would be miserable, given the way they use their claws everyday. Freckles former owner had the two cats she kept declawed. (Her boyfriend insisted, and then insisted that she pay for the operation
) One ran away and the other has become anti-social. I tried talking her out of it (telling her about Soft Paws), but she wouldn't listen. I should say she was interested until she got home and talked to her boyfriend. Then the declaw was on because his furniture was so important!

There's a local vet who comes on a radio show once a month for an hour. He claims that declawing isn't bad if you intend to have an indoor cat and it's a choice of the cat or the furniture. I almost go off the road when I hear that.
Someone should boycott his show!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it comes down to the cat or the furniture (knowing what we do now about declawing procedures and the availablities of alternatives like Soft Paws), then you please pick the furniture by NOT GETTING A CAT!

indykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear to God that pisses me off. I posted a post about furniture fabric that is impervious to claws. I mean I have a destructo-kitty who has torn the crap out of two kitty scratching posts and has never touched my couch except to claw it if he was trying to get up there.

I made the descision a long time ago to not declaw unless there was an injury or medical problem that required it.

This just ticks me off. If my furniture was so important I would have gotten a goldfish.

Jennifer sweeney

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I raise ragdolls, so this story hit me hard! I will not allow my babies to be de-toed, I have a contract that must be signed, if some one de-toed one of my babies after signing my contract..... big trouble! (I also alter prior to the adoption, so no saying "well I am having them fixed any ways, it can just be done at the same time, it's just a little more to the proceedure they are getting any ways", nope, already done!)
One thing I am asked the most is "what right do I have to tell some one they can't declaw THEIR cat" and I am not telling them they can't declaw their cat, they can't declaw MINE, they have the choice to get one some where else, and they have the coice to ruin that cat cause it exreme pain, and then dump it off when they have done mutating it, that's their choice.
But, I have to ask them, what choice do THEY have to remove the toes of an animal when it can't tell them they don't want it done. They are just packed up and sent off with no concerns to the how this will effect miss kitty.
I just read a post from another person saying all was possitive with their cats being done, possitive? to who? Not the cat, they may have been more forgiving or healed better, and I know lots are done with no problems at all, but I am not willing to take a chance even if it is a 1% chance of having problems, to me that is 1% more risk then I am willing to take with one of my loves!
We all hear that they were scratching the couch and if they didn't get declawed they had to get rid of the cat, and they love their cat, so why is it that when problems occur they get rid of the cat anyways! Save the cat the pain and humiliation of being deformed and get rid of the cat first, don't wait until you have declawed it and caused it so much pain and suffering, save your money and give it to some one who will truely love it for the way they are intended to be intact claw bearing babies.
(sorry for ranting, LOL! We all know how touchy both sides of this arguement is, and this isn't meant to any person here (or there) just mutators in general.)

willie'slove

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is horribly sad! My friend just got her kitten declawed. I don't think she knew how bad it really was. Iknew it was bad, but now I know its even worse than I thought. I told her its not good, adn that I would never do it, but if I had readthis earlier, i would have MADE her read it!

I'm so sorry for NALA,a nd I can't believe her parents sent her away! That is definitely a horrible story!

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read that story and was in tears I really hope life gets better for Nala. Poor Kitty.