Sick day

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called in sick from work this morning - I very RARELY do that and usually work when I am sick. I work in an office where it is very frowned upon not to come in for any reason - people have been known to come down with pnuemonia (sp?) rather than be out. I know in my absence today there will be gossip and snooping around my desk, too. I wish I wasn't so paranoid, but it is really like that.

I don't think I should feel guilty for being sick- I have felt awful since Sunday and really need to be out today. Does anyone else have problems with taking a sick day? Is where you work good or bad about it? I never abuse it since we don't actually have a 'number' of sick days to use; what is your criteria for staying home from work?

At least I have time today to spend with my furbaby

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh my work is horrible!!!!!!

You come into work sick and you get hammered with "If I get sick,, blah blah blah".. But if you don't come to work people start throwing fits and gossiping..

You've just gotta try to ignore it.. If your sick your sick, and you shouldn't have to go to work.. Everyone needs a break from their prison cell every now and again!!!

Let em gossip!!
They've got nothing better to do in there life...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well since i work nights, alone until around 5am, if i take off i upset like 2 other people.
so its not easy to get out sick, and you have to fight to get a normal weeks vaction.

i have been let go twice cause i told them to bad, i will be back in 2 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is such a silly shame for that to happen - I work really hard and seem almost invisible to them when I am there - but miss one day and it seems as if they think the place will fall apart!! It is bad enough feeling like crap without having to worry about that too. Thanks letting me know I am not nuts, and you have my sympathies too.

All I have to say is - Ugh!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I did office work I felt guilty calling in. I would set alarm for 8 am and tt one of the bosses until I found out others just left a Voice mail message!!
Too many times I worked when I should have stayed home -one day I said-enough others call in so why feel guilty. Its better than getting your co-workers sick too then they will "blame" you.
Get well soon!!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm working two jobs right now (hooray for working in the arts...) and my "first" job is great about it: I basically make my own hours there, just have to fill 20 hours a week, and they never deduct pay if I'm sick or miss a day for vacation. I only get paid once a month there though, which is kind of hard, but oh well. The other job I just started I amass sick days and vacation days as I work: but since I just started last Thursday I don't think I'll be calling out sick anytime soon!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I work at, you get 5 days every 6 months. I called in today and my boss guilted me into coming in for the last 4 hours of my shift. I work the 12:30-9pm shift. I work the assist line and there is usually only 4 people working that shift. My boss wanted me to come it because one of my co-workers was on vacation tonight. It was a good thing because one of the other girls was on vacation too and it was only 2 of us. I was all alone last night and that was a pain in the ___. I am on vacation for the next 3 days so I did not complain.................much. LOL

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm a nanny. So for the most part I get sick any time Kaidence gets sick. So I usually work unless I'm throwing up. Because my boss gets really nasty if I dont work. So I go in anyways.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my car has been broken for the last 4 days. I put ATF fluid in my brake fluid resivour. I really messed up my car and my BF has not been nice about having to fix it.

Supposedly it was fixed last night, and I called work and told them I would be in. I just went to head to work, well, breakfast, gas THEN drive to work, and my car won't start.

I can't help but wonder if he disabled my car on purpose. He HATES my job. He always has. I make very little per hour and it takes me away from him in the eveing. (I get home around 730/800pm, and he needs to be in bed by 9 or 930)

I am so frustrated now, I can't see straight. NOT to mention my bottom right molar is THROBBING in pain. Maybe my car not working is fates way of telling me to go to the dentist. I have been putting it off for over a year for this dumb tooth. I don't have Insurance and I KNOW i need a root canal which will result in needing a crown.

Problem is, if they don't fire me after I call in today, I will be very surprised.
I really like my job, even though the pay is horrible.

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Where i work SInce ts with children we have to follow the same guidlines that they do ect like...
fever free for 24 hours
no vomiting more then 2 times in past 24 hours
no rashes
no diahreah (sp) in past 24 (unexplained)
ect ect
Only problem sometimes is finding a sub. But never have had a problem if you are sick calling in. We get 7 hours a month for sick leave that can carry over so i think its pretty good.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd rarely taken sick time when I was in my old company because the company I worked for didn't believe in sick leave... the directors came in sick even if they were on their deathbed!! I was never sent home because I was too ill to work - even when I had mumps and chicken pox at the same time, hardley ever actually phoned in sick and to keep the peace came into work despite how sh*t I was feeling at the time!

Now, when I can take sick leave and have 10 allocated days towards sick leave, I still don't take it! Why? Because I'm a stupid girl! I don't like leaving the work I do for someone else to deal with... we are all too busy to have the burden of the "sick Person's" work. Besides, I am the design assistant to 2 interior designers.... if i'm not here... who'll make sure things are done right? (we are getting an assistant for me.... yay!) I've gone home sick once since I started working here 3 years ago, and that was because I couldn't keep anything down (or in! )
and I accidently barfed on a customer who got in my direct line of fire on the way to the bathroom. As i sit here today, I've been booked off work by the doctor for "muscle strain" in both my elbows and shoulders from lifting the fabric's etc but I'm still here because no-one else would even think of doing my work!

My boss cut her little finger on some glass a few months back and took an entire week off for it to heal! Ok so it was quite damaged but it didn't warrent her taking a whole week off and then relying soley on me to carry her bits around to the customers......!!!!!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

Ohhhh my work is horrible!!!!!!

You come into work sick and you get hammered with "If I get sick,, blah blah blah".. But if you don't come to work people start throwing fits and gossiping..

You've just gotta try to ignore it.. If your sick your sick, and you shouldn't have to go to work.. Everyone needs a break from their prison cell every now and again!!!

Let em gossip!!
They've got nothing better to do in there life...
My office is like that too! If you are sick and come in then you are responcible for any illness in anyone for the next month! BUT, if you take sick day then you get called a wimp!
Just part of office behavior I guess. Let em talk, you know when you are too sick to go to work!