cat is mad at me (I think)!!

sarahf79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum today, and I hope that someone will have some good advice for me. I adopted my cat from a shelter 6 months ago, and he is about a year and a half old. When I adopted him from the shelter, they made me sign an agreement to keep Putty indoors only. I thought that was fine, as I think it's safer for them to be indoors. However, ever since I adopted him, he's been a "door dasher" from Day 1. When I try to come inside (or go outside), he immediately tries to run outside. I have to pick him up and put him back in, then shut the door quickly. This is all the time. 3 nights ago, Putty escaped. One of my screen windows must have been loose, because it had fallen out of the window, and the cat was gone. I was of course hysterical. I looked all over the neighborhood for hours in the pitch dark. 8 hours after he escaped, I finally found him at the end of the alley and brought him back in. Ever since then, he's been meowing at the door - but it's a distressed, sad meow, one that I never heard before. And he does not come over to me much. He stays in the other room, and lounges under the furniture, which he didn't do before. I feel terrible, because it seems like he loves the outdoors so much (now that he got a good, long taste of it) and I feel like I am depriving him of something he really wants to do. Plus, I know it may sound silly, but I hate that he's "mad" now...it really upsets me! He's never been an overly affectionate cat, but he's never "ignored" me like this. Please help, what should I do?? Does he hate me, and if so, will he hate me forever??!!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Putty won't hate you forever.
I know the feeling, though, when they are mad. I would give him lots of love and cuddles or as much as he'll tolerate if he's not the affectionate type to make him feel secure in his new home. See what happens if you approach him instead of waiting for him to come to you.

He probably spent time outside before he went to the shelter and may feel comfortable there. But he is most definitely better off inside. Don't give in to his desire to go out again. Does he have cat toys to play with or a climbing tree/kitty condo? That might be a way to keep him busy inside so outside doesn't seem so inviting. Since you got him from a shelter I assume he's neutered. If not he's definitely old enough. That may calm some of his wandering urges.

I 'm sure you checked him for obvious injuries when you found him. Is he eating and drinking normally? Just be sure there are no medical reasons for his sad meowing.

Here's some hugs for you and Putty.

landwish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had an adopted cat that was the same way. I didn't have any information about her history, but she cried and begged to go outside constantly. I felt horrible, but there are just too many dangers for them out there.

Eventually, I got her a little leash and harness and would take her out for short periods of time. All she did was play with the grass and hold her head towards the wind, but it made her happy and she was still safe

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by landwish

Eventually, I got her a little leash and harness and would take her out for short periods of time. All she did was play with the grass and hold her head towards the wind, but it made her happy and she was still safe
I agree with the harness/leash, only 2 of my cats like to go out. I take them at around the same time each day and they don't bother me to go out at other times, they know the routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahf79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your good advice! Yes, he is neutered, I should have mentioned that. So at least his desire to go outdoors is not fueled by wanting to mate. I do have a harness and leash for him and have taken him out before. He does seem to enjoy it, he just sniffs around mostly. Good idea about the kitty condo/scratching post! I do not own either. Perhaps I should go buy one, and a nice interactive toy that he can play with when I am not home. I will go shopping this weekend. I'm glad he will not hate me forever!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahf79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, Jean, yes I have checked him for injuries and such. He does not have any and he is eating/drinking normally. The only thing wrong with him is an attitude!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you get the condo, post, or perch, try to put it at a window so he can feel closer to the outdoors. Maybe he will be calmer if he can see whats going on out there.

Also maybe bring a little outdoors in for him. Buy some kitty grass or cat friendly plants. Stick a bird feeder outside of his favorite window so he can watch.

And since you said he already has a harness/leash, maybe take him out regularly if you don't already.

He sounds like a great cat, and you obviously love him a lot.
And before I forget, welcome to TCS!