getting my little girl fixed

old

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i hate to do it but she needs to be fixed... i love the attention i get when she is in the mood.... she is so loveable.... when she is not in the mood... she is not so loveable.... after i get her fixed.... how will she be ??? i am sure she will hate me for a while... but that i understand... i have heard that after they are fixed they are calmer???? is that true.... ???

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it can be very true that they calm down and are less crazy once fixed. was the case with one of mine. She bit and scratched if you just walked by her and we took her to get spayed and she is so extremely sweet and loving now. She also had cysts on her ovaries which was probably causing pain therefore making her moody. I just think that if we had never gotten her fixed, those cysts would have gotten bigger and bigger and could possibly have turned into cancer or soemthing.

but I have never seen a cat get worse after being done. they either stay the same or get better attitudes. Plus it greatly reduces their risk of cancers and a really horrible disease called Pyometra. You are doing the right thing, believe me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there are a lot of benefits to having your cat fixed. My girl's weren't necessarily 'calmer' but I had them fixed when they were small. My step-father had my RB cat Tiger and didn't fix her till she was a few years old. She drove him nuts before her spay and didn't have those 'mood swings' he called them. Some people consider cats who are spayed healthier, or at least at less of a risk for injury and disease, since they are less likely to wander as far searching for a mate and things. I'm sure your kitty will forgive you soon!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitty? I have heard of mean nasty kitties who had ovarian cysts...when they get spayed, their hormones return to normal, and they become nice friendly kitties!

I have never heard of anyone enjoying a kitty in heat...they call and cry so loud. Usually it is most annoying! Interesting that you enjoy it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

old

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she is prolly a year and a half old... she was left by her mother... born in a barn... mother had 6 kittens but left her... got her and brought her home.... bottle fed her and now a part of my heart... my cat is white with a little yellow on the tail.... found out the other day that the same mother had another litter and left the white one again....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a cat that wasn't spayed. I wasn't able to afford it. She yowled, and started to spray, not to mention leaving stains on my furniture from her mini periods. I finally arranged with the vet to have her fixed and I would pay in 3 monthly installments. My kitty was still lovable, but I also didn't have the annoyances from before. Plus she seemed more comfortable. So it was a win-win situation and she was a much better companion.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our one barn cat, LoCal was like that - 2 personalities before being spayed. Once spayed, she was a lot more friendly and wanted attention from people. STILL was a boss cat tho - she ran off all her female offspring (daughter/granddaughters). Guess she didn't want female competition

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

She yowled, and started to spray, not to mention leaving stains on my furniture from her mini periods.
I don't believe cats have periods, they don't bleed or anything if that is what you mean. Maybe it was urine stains or her anal sacs leaking or something.

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

I have never heard of anyone enjoying a kitty in heat...they call and cry so loud. Usually it is most annoying! Interesting that you enjoy it!
My kitty is sooo loving and sweet when in heat.....I love it when she's in heat too......she doesnt cry or anything, just purrs alot...and loves to cuddle

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I don't believe cats have periods, they don't bleed or anything if that is what you mean. Maybe it was urine stains or her anal sacs leaking or something.
Actually, I've known some cats that would leak pinkish fluid from their behinds when they were in heat.