New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

advise please

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
hey there, I searched and searched for a good forum about cats, and here I am. I would like to ask some questions about persians and tought I will get some help here.

I have 2 persian kittens aged 6 months both of them. One solid white (male) and a brown tabby (female). I was making up my mind if I will spay and neuture them or try breeding. The thing is i'm not expereinced in breeding cats so I will not know where to start. Someone told me that if the male sprays it will be awful, others told me that he will not spray. I listened to all king of things and am going crazy in which decision I have to take. Please help, I jsut need some expert advise.
thanks
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerr View Post
hey there, I searched and searched for a good forum about cats, and here I am. I would like to ask some questions about persians and tought I will get some help here.

I have 2 persian kittens aged 6 months both of them. One solid white (male) and a brown tabby (female). I was making up my mind if I will spay and neuture them or try breeding. The thing is i'm not expereinced in breeding cats so I will not know where to start. Someone told me that if the male sprays it will be awful, others told me that he will not spray. I listened to all king of things and am going crazy in which decision I have to take. Please help, I jsut need some expert advise.
thanks
xerr....one very important question.....did you buy these persians from a breeder?? If so, did the breeder give you breeding rights for these cats?? If so, I would recommend contacting the breeder to be a mentor to you.

Katie
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1 View Post
xerr....one very important question.....did you buy these persians from a breeder?? If so, did the breeder give you breeding rights for these cats?? If so, I would recommend contacting the breeder to be a mentor to you.

Katie
Hey katie thank you very much for replying back. The problem is my father gave me these two babies as a present, he knows I love cats and tought I will be happy in caring for 2 angels. The persons from where he bought them are now emigrated and lost all contact with them. What do you think
thank you katie
sorry for my english
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerr View Post
Hey katie thank you very much for replying back. The problem is my father gave me these two babies as a present, he knows I love cats and tought I will be happy in caring for 2 angels. The persons from where he bought them are now emigrated and lost all contact with them. What do you think
thank you katie
sorry for my english
You should still have registration papers for these 2 kittens which should indicate whether they have breeding rights or not. If you do not have papers for these kittens that allows for them to have breeding rights...then I would have them spayed/neutered because you wouldn't be able to register the kittens and you wouldn't know if they had any genetic issues that prohibited them from being good breeders.

Katie
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
So I think I have my answer then. I have no papers, don't even know if they are related. I should have asked for the papers when he gave me the kittens straightaway, now it's too late for that. He told me they were not expensive as such. I know that talking like that seems i'm talking about *sweets* but believe me they are like my kids to me. here are some pics of my little ones.



http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140132.jpg
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerr View Post
So I think I have my answer then. I have no papers, don't even know if they are related. I should have asked for the papers when he gave me the kittens straightaway, now it's too late for that. He told me they were not expensive as such. I know that talking like that seems i'm talking about *sweets* but believe me they are like my kids to me. here are some pics of my little ones.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...P5271812-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140132.jpg
They are both truly precious!!! Honestly, I would have them spayed/neutered and have many wonderful years with them as your pets. If in the future, you ever become interested in breeding Persians..there are several breeders here who could help you find a registered breeding persian and also provide you with great guidance.

Katie
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
One more question Katie please. If I neuture the male, will the female be allright about that ? I mean will she go in heat eventually ? Here the vet is really expensive so I tought maybe I neuture only the male. I have another cat, my baby too.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140143.jpg
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerr View Post
One more question Katie please. If I neuture the male, will the female be allright about that ? I mean will she go in heat eventually ? Here the vet is really expensive so I tought maybe I neuture only the male. I have another cat, my baby too.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140143.jpg
You can certainly have them fixed at different times...however, the female will definately go into heat if she is not spayed...and I would not want you to find yourself with an unexpected litter of kittens (if she were to get out accidentally) or develop a health issue such as pyometra from being intact. Another consideration is that your male will still carry active sperm for a month following his neuter..so you need to be VERY careful of his interaction with her once he is neutered (if she isn't spayed). I would contact your local vets and see if they would be willing to give you a break on the price if you have both fixed at the same time.

BTW...love your other cat. I have an orange tabby as well.

Katie
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
My orange tabby, the older one is already neutured. Tomorrow I will get an appointment with the vet. They are very calm tough, she is nor definately in heat yet, and he doesn't notice her at all. So i got a little bit of time yet. I will have everything in order in a week or so. Thank you very much Katie, you've been very helpful.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140149.jpg
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerr View Post
My orange tabby, the older one is already neutured. Tomorrow I will get an appointment with the vet. They are very calm tough, she is nor definately in heat yet, and he doesn't notice her at all. So i got a little bit of time yet. I will have everything in order in a week or so. Thank you very much Katie, you've been very helpful.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...6/P9140149.jpg
xerr....you are quite welcome...and please feel free to continue to ask whatever questions you have and definately keep us updated on your little ones.

Katie
post #11 of 15
Very few males do not spray once they are mature. However, if your cats are NOT show quality/top quality examples of the breed and you got them as pets you should NOT be breeding them.

And unless you research their pedigrees to find out what cats are in there and how close bred they are you should NOT be breeding them.

If you don't know the answers to the above, you could attend a local cat show and enter your cats (if they have registration papers) and get the opinions of other breeders/judges of the quality of your cats.

You would be a lot better off with spaying and neutering your cats then to go into breeding. A good breeder doesn't just throw two cats together and hope for the best. They research the breed and want to produce BETTER then the parents - pet quality cats rarely if ever produce a show quality cat.


They are cute little kittens but IMO they are no where near show quality and should not be bred.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Very few males do not spray once they are mature. However, if your cats are NOT show quality/top quality examples of the breed and you got them as pets you should NOT be breeding them.

And unless you research their pedigrees to find out what cats are in there and how close bred they are you should NOT be breeding them.

If you don't know the answers to the above, you could attend a local cat show and enter your cats (if they have registration papers) and get the opinions of other breeders/judges of the quality of your cats.

You would be a lot better off with spaying and neutering your cats then to go into breeding. A good breeder doesn't just throw two cats together and hope for the best. They research the breed and want to produce BETTER then the parents - pet quality cats rarely if ever produce a show quality cat.


They are cute little kittens but IMO they are no where near show quality and should not be bred.
The OP has already stated that she has decided not to breed them, and is planning to have them altered.
post #13 of 15
I have no advice, just wanted to say they are beautiful kittens.
post #14 of 15
I just wanted to say thank you so much for doing this properly! There are so many people who wouldn't have bothered to ask and would have just bred the two of them together. Thanks for caring more about your cats and their health than some money in your pocket. Its very refreshing. And your babies are sooo cute!
post #15 of 15
While the OP decided not to breed before I read and posted, the advice would be helpful for others considering breeding when the cats really shouldn't be bred

Doesn't hurt to remind everyone (especially newcomers) why and when you should be breeding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding