Help With New Kitty!!!

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So i got a new kitten yesterday....I'm pretty sure it's a he...only 7weeks old..

I've noticed that he doesnt do anything but sleep...is this normal??

Right now he's going crazy meowing...not sure why lol..... I havn't noticed him use the litter box yet though, he drank some water and ate food last night....he made a mess on my jacket over night...not sure if it was poop, or vomit though.....i was cuddling with him just awhile ago and he nearly threw up on me..

Our vet appointment is in 2weeks...when he's 9weeks old...and when I have the $500 for it....

Should I be worried about my kitty....since he has went to the bathroom yet, and because he threw up twice....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
YAY!!! KITTY HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT!! hehe... never knew i'd ever be so excited to see a kitten use the bathroom...and in the litter box at that....woot woot!!...

But now he's back to sleeping....
...lol.. i thought kittens were suppose to be full of energy??? not sleeping all the time...

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said he ate last night... aren't you feeding him - a few times a day? Kittens need to eat a lot, certainly often, and hopefully you found some canned kitten food (tho' no milk, it disagrees with lots of them).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missysmum

So i got a new kitten yesterday....I'm pretty sure it's a he...only 7weeks old..

I've noticed that he doesnt do anything but sleep...is this normal??

Right now he's going crazy meowing...not sure why lol..... I havn't noticed him use the litter box yet though, he drank some water and ate food last night....he made a mess on my jacket over night...not sure if it was poop, or vomit though.....i was cuddling with him just awhile ago and he nearly threw up on me..

Our vet appointment is in 2weeks...when he's 9weeks old...and when I have the $500 for it....

Should I be worried about my kitty....since he has went to the bathroom yet, and because he threw up twice....
Firstly, 7 weeks is too young for him/her to be away from their mom. The ideal is 10 weeks. He/she should be eating kitten food. You can also give him kitten milk (from your local pet store and there are different brands). As the other poster said, no cow milk - it can cause diarrhea as most cats are actually lactose intolerant. Also, as the other poster said, he/she needs to be fed more often and smaller meals. Just as human babies need to feed frequently so do kitties.

You may have to stimulate him to go to the bathroom by taking a warm, wet cloth and gently (very gently) rubbing his bum. (Mom cat usually does this when they are very little so I'm not entirely sure if she would still have to do this at 7 weeks but someone with more knowledge and experience here will hopefully be along soon to give you some advice on that.)

As for the $500, that sounds pretty steep for an initial check-up and the usual deworming, de-fleaing (if necessary) and first vaccinations. Are there any other vets in your area that you can call regarding rates?

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been going to the bathroom just fine now...thank god...hehe...

I leave food out for him to eat when ever he pleases.....has alittle bit of dry kitten food, as well as wet food...and some water... so he can eat when ever he gets hungry

The $500 is apart of a package deal it includes:

-Deworming
-First and Second Shots
-Blood Work
-Microchiping
-Neuter
-Life Time Register (Im guessing with the city?)
-and afew other things...but those are the big ones...

They told me I can pay $250 the first visit, and then $250 the following visit... so it's not to bad, I didnt call any other clinics/hospitals to get their prices tho...

I dont get to sleep with my poor kitty
.. I have a 4yr old cat whos slept with me since she was a kitten...and she refuses to be anywhere near the kitten...lol so, he's forced to be alone on the couch...but, he's a good little kitty...doesnt meow too much, and sleeps ALOT!

missysmum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
actually...here is everything included in the package.. i think it's pretty good for $500

FVRCP & Fel vaccination
Fecal Examination
Deworming
FVRCPR & Fel booster
Microchip Pet Identificationn
Free annual license
Pre-anesthetic Laboratory Evaluation
Pre-anesthetic Electrocardiogram
Neuter