We brought home our new cat Saturday!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pictures coming soon, since the battery on the camera was dead and I can't find that thing that charges the batteries!

His name is Carl (originally they named her Coral, but when she turned out to be a he, they called him Carl). He is 3 years old, brown tabby with a little white under his chin and a really cute light brown face. We LOFF him!
He had been in the rescue for 6 months, so he is a little skinny, but they were feeding quality dry food (Nutra Indoor, which is a whole other tangent about how wonderful the rescue was in general), so his coat looks healthy.

Saturday we went to two rescues. The first had only feral (or kitten of feral) cats, and all of them (and I mean every single one) was terrified of people. They were at a Petco, which really didn't help their stress levels. When we got there, they were doing a dog obedience class right in front of the cat cages! Those poor kitties looked like they very much would prefer living outside away from humans (and I can't blaim them, I mean kids were poking at the cages, it was loud, etc).

So off we went to rescue #2, a little disheartened. This place was the rescue I had pictured--overworked volunteers, tons of animals. The cats (and there were probably 75) were in 3 adjoining sunrooms living loose. The rescue lady told us to sit down and the cat would pick us--boy was she right. Carl jumped right up in my lap and fell asleep.

He spent the entire weekend in either mine or DH's lap, and he is now all set up in my apartment with toys to play with and a purch to watch the ibis and golfers outside (this absolutely intrigues him!). I am going home for lunch to check on him.

This will be my first cat, and I am hooked already. He had my heart when he got sick Sat night (I think he had a nervous stomach). He got up off the couch, walked into the litter box, and threw up in there. OMG, if you only knew how much dog sick I have cleaned up in my life!

He is so good natured!!! I talked to the rescue lady about how much personality meant to me (I used to be deathly afraid of cats when I was a kid). She told us to pick Carl up and see if he would let us turn him on his back--that was their "Child Proof" test. Carl could have cared less!

He even let us trim his claws Sat night, which I was amazed at! He didn't even pull his paws back. I am waiting on a delivery of Soft Paws, just to protect the carpet that he has decided he loves to surf(he lays down and pulls himself accross the room with his front claws).

We are so excited about him!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, look forward to seeing photos, he sounds delightful.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so excited that you are so excited!! sounds like Carl is a super great cat, I'm glad he "picked" you, sounds like he got some wonderful owners! welcome to the joys of owning a cat.... also, can you ask him if he can teach my cats how to puke in the box?

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MissintheSouth!!!!

Welcome to TCS!!!! It sounds like you have a fabulous little boy on your hands!!! I'm so glad you decided to join us on TCS, we have a great time on here with a great bunch of people! Congratulations on your 1st cat!!! And becoming a new "Meowmy" as we like to call it here (a cat's mommy!). You are already a wonderful mommy, you got him from a rescue, and your using Soft Claws (I use them on both my babies!
)! Great decision making! Just becareful, it seems cats are like potato chips, you can't have just 1!!!!
We just made a new addition for our LuckyGirl, I wanted her to have someone to play with while we are at work all day, it was rough at 1st, but now they are best buds!!! TCS, and cats are SO addictive!!! We even have our own TCS-Annonymous!

Welcome aboard!!!
Heather, Meowmy to LuckyGirl & Lil' Louie D-Boy!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so grateful to everyone at TCS! I got so much information before we went to find Carl, and I never would have gotten a cat with claws if I hadn't come on here! I ordered my Soft Paws right when we brought him home!

I am trying really hard to keep the cat # at one. I know it is going to take him a while to get used to being an only cat after spending 6 months sharing a room with 75 other cats, but if after a while he is still lonely, we may think about a companion for him (but that is a BIG if).

For now, I am content to spoil him rotten!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

I am so grateful to everyone at TCS! I got so much information before we went to find Carl, and I never would have gotten a cat with claws if I hadn't come on here! I ordered my Soft Paws right when we brought him home!

I am trying really hard to keep the cat # at one. I know it is going to take him a while to get used to being an only cat after spending 6 months sharing a room with 75 other cats, but if after a while he is still lonely, we may think about a companion for him (but that is a BIG if).

For now, I am content to spoil him rotten!
Good luck with that!
We had LuckyGirl for 5 months, then I snuck home a playmate for her.
And she is very spoiled. And still sometimes tries to karate chop the kitten if he looks at her crooked! It's quite funny. And they run through my house like kitty nascar! TCS is what made me get soft paws too. Right now my LuckyGirl has on her red, white & blue ones in honor of September 11th....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother in law called to chat about the new addition yesturday and she firmly believes that we should get another cat so that Jack and I both have our own cat! She says it would be better for our marriage, so we won't be rivaling for the affection of the one cat.
I can always count on her to justify anything!

I am not going to promise we won't get a second cat, but I would rather wait till we get a bigger place (one bedroom apt)! Once we get a house/townhouse, all bets are off!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to the family on the acquisition of Jack
Bless the kind lady at the cat rescue who really understands cats. Adrianne, you seem to have a great connection with cats, too
Please post pics soon

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mother in law called to chat about the new addition yesturday and she firmly believes that we should get another cat so that Jack and I both have our own cat! She says it would be better for our marriage, so we won't be rivaling for the affection of the one cat.

I am not going to promise we won't get a second cat, but I would rather wait till we get a bigger place (one bedroom apt)! Once we get a house/townhouse, all bets are off!
don't they say "mom's know best"?!?!
I guess that's what we have "his & her kitties"
but really I had been telling LuckyGirl that Meowmy was getting her a little brother for her birthday....so I guess Louie is really hers....
But, my little girl kitt is "daddy's girl" out & out, and Louie is quickly becoming "mommy's boy!"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I am so excited that you are so excited!! sounds like Carl is a super great cat, I'm glad he "picked" you, sounds like he got some wonderful owners! welcome to the joys of owning a cat.... also, can you ask him if he can teach my cats how to puke in the box?

actually, i had a pair in a 1-bedroom - it wasn't too full. of course, i only had 1 human & no other animals there. a single cat can get lonely if y'all are both out all day - that's the best reason for having more than one. they're less likely to get overweight, 'cause they have an exercise partner!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!
Carl sounds like a very beautiful and loveable boy. Wishing you many happy years ahead with Carl!