Can clawed and declawed animals co-exist

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope someone can help me with this question. We are a 4 cat household, and none of our animals are declawed. However, I've fallen for an adult cat who is declawed. My cats get along pretty well, although there is that occational cat fight to remind each other the hiarchy and peeking order. How would a declawed animal get along in this environment? Also, my cats are all girls, and he would be a male spayed boy. Any ideas on how that would influence the dynamics? Some insight would be greatly appreciated.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that after SLOW intros, it would work out.I believe there are several members here that have adopted declawed cats and own ones with their claws and they exist well together.
I have noticed that boys and girls get along better than girls and girls.But, that is MY case.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I hope someone can help me with this question. We are a 4 cat household, and none of our animals are declawed. However, I've fallen for an adult cat who is declawed. My cats get along pretty well, although there is that occational cat fight to remind each other the hiarchy and peeking order. How would a declawed animal get along in this environment? Also, my cats are all girls, and he would be a male spayed boy. Any ideas on how that would influence the dynamics? Some insight would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to have this issue as well. My two boys aren't declawed and I'm adopting a third who is. Let me know how it goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll let you know lookingglass if I actually do it. I don't know if it is a good or bad idea yet. I've heard before that declawed cats aren't happy around cats with claws and aren't friendly with their humans as well when they live with clawed cats. I don't know if it is true because I've never had a declawed cat before.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both clawed and declawed cats, and there are no problems at all.
Just follow the slow intro plan, you'll be fine.
Everyone here is one big happy family, all very loving with us and each other.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Monique was adopted as a declawed cat about a year and a half ago.
All of my other cats have their claws. There is never any worry about Monique getting hurt around here as she tends to be a bit of an ornery cuss and all the guys pretty much give her wide berth.

I think attitudes go more on a cat by cat basis and don't see why you should have any problems, especially since you would be bringing a male in with the females. She showed her haughtiness when I went to pick her up and has been showing it ever since. My male Maine Coon mix came from the same rescuer and he also has a bit of a high and mighty attitude.

Monique loves to come in and lay on my chest at bedtime and mix her little heart out. I usually have to fend off her kisses because she can get carried away.

I don't think you would need to worry at all about your declawed cat getting hurt by the others or being loving toward you if that is in the cats nature.

My Jade, (declawed), that came to me as a stray was a very loving cat and so was Samantha, (rescued declaw). Jade lived with me by herself and Samantha with many of my crew I have now. Both girls were very loving and attached to me.

I say go for it and give that guy the wonderful love he deserves.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Arlyn and Tru.
I'm going to go for it. I'm really excited now. I'll let you know how it he does with the girls. Thanks.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks Arlyn and Tru.
I'm going to go for it. I'm really excited now. I'll let you know how it he does with the girls. Thanks.
I'm glad you're going to go for it!
My experience with mixing declawed cats with those with claws had been positive too. My older girls, Katie and Gracie, are front declawed, and my younger kitties, Peter and Claire, are not. With gradual introduction and some time and patience, everything has worked out great and we are one happy kitty family!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I have both clawed and declawed cats, and there are no problems at all.
Just follow the slow intro plan, you'll be fine.
Everyone here is one big happy family, all very loving with us and each other.
i have both, too - Pixel & Chip are declawed, Cable & Java aren't. doesn't seem to bother any of them. Pixel & Cable are the only ones that are loving with each other, but they all tolerate each other. Cable & Java play, & Cable bullies Chip, but that's purrsonality, not claws.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did you all do the slow intro thing? In the past when I've introduced a new cat into the house, I'd keep it in a large dog cage (quarintine) with food, water, litter box, toxs, etc., for several days just because I wanted to protect my other animals from any potential unforeseen illnesses. Would this accomplish the slow intro plan?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

How did you all do the slow intro thing? In the past when I've introduced a new cat into the house, I'd keep it in a large dog cage (quarintine) with food, water, litter box, toxs, etc., for several days just because I wanted to protect my other animals from any potential unforeseen illnesses. Would this accomplish the slow intro plan?
there a good link here: introducing cats. that's probably what they're talking about.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to add that I think it's wonderufl you're adopting this kitty! I myself have 1 declawed cat & 4 cats with claws. I used Soft Paws Nail caps(www.softpaws.com) when I was having troubles with a cat aggressive cat in my multi-cat household. (Don't let that scare you!)

Congrats & when do you get him?

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If all goes as planned, we should be getting him this weekend.
Thank you for the link Laureen. Very helpful.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had 6 clawed cats withone declawed cat and guess who ruler of the house was? the declawed cat. i dont think it makes any difference as long as all cats are properly introduced and get along decently.

is the one you are getting 2 or 4 paw declawed?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Puppy (declawed) wandered into my parent's two clawed cat household, and had no problems. He literally walked on in, no gentle introductions! Princess and Patches really can't stand him, but they never hurt him. He did get a few solid whacks, all with claws in. Most of the time, there was just a lot of hissing and no fighting. He seemed to just ignore them, so it worked out fine. The three of them shared a household for two months until we came to get Puppy.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it appears that while I was deciding whether to get him, someone else filled out the application before me to take him home.
The only way I can get him now is if this other family isn't approved. I'm really bumbed about it because I've been thinking about him and how he would fit into our family. I'll get over it because if he is going to a good home then that is great for him. I do want to do a rescue kitty. I've never done it and as of late I've only wanted Siamese. At least now I know my options are open more for what kind of cat I can bring home (clawed or de-clawed), and I won't hesitate as much the next time. Thanks everyone for sharing.