Cats and Birds

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have the 2 in a household?
As everyone knows, we adopted Loki and Pepsi this weekend and all Reilly wants to do is eat them... I have to handle Loki alot because he's still a baby and if I don't he'll be a biter. I just put her in the other room and close the door.
The problem is at night when we're sleeping. We have to leave our bedroom door open because of the A/C so Reilly gets out. I put sheets over thier cages but this morning she was right up there and Loki FREAKED
out.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I want them to get along but I also know they are natural enemies.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Radar the kitten, and Jasper the Senegal parrot. The only sure-fire way I have of knowing that the parrot is safe is that Radar is not allowed in the room where the parrot is, it is off limits at all times. Don't forget that bacteria in cat saliva is deadly to birds, who have no built up immunity to it, since birds have very little in the way of bacteria themselves. I therefore wouldn't even take the risk of Radar drinking out of the parrot's water bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I have Radar the kitten, and Jasper the Senegal parrot. The only sure-fire way I have of knowing that the parrot is safe is that Radar is not allowed in the room where the parrot is, it is off limits at all times. Don't forget that bacteria in cat saliva is deadly to birds, who have no built up immunity to it, since birds have very little in the way of bacteria themselves. I therefore wouldn't even take the risk of Radar drinking out of the parrot's water bowl.
Thanks!
I forgot about that.

I am rearranging my bedroom today so I am going to figure something out

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your birdies! They can be a real joy, as long as you don't mind the noise and mess

Parrot Parrot is a great site about keeping birds, I can't recommend it highly enough. There is also a forum there which is very friendly and helpful, similar atmosphere to this site

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello

I've got 4 inside cats, and 2 dog (inside outside) and 1 Cockatiel(Snikkers).

The cats pretty much love to stare at Snikkers... I think 3 of them have gotten to the point, they don't even know he exist anymore,, their so used to him... But I have 1 cat, my trouble maker, Angel. She loves loves loves Snikkers. I thought she just wanted to eat him,, but she'd rather just play with him. She's always sticking her paws in his cage, and rubbing up against the cage, and laying on top of the cage, as if she is trying to catch a fish.

My husband was going to hang his cage up in the air, but when we did this Snikkers got really mad at us... He has gotten to the point, where he literally squaks and makes noise to get Angel's attention when she walks in. As if to say,, hey come play with me...

As with all animals,, it's just time. If you don't feel comfortable,, put the bird up in the air as to not let the cat get near them. It's a safe precaution. Some people say you can buy plexiglass type of cages. But it's just easier to stick them in the air IMHO.

Hope that helps
Heather

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have Madden, a cockatiel, an African Grey parrot, and the two dogs. Honestly, Madden has never cared a bit in this world for the birds. They were here first and when madden was a baby he got too close to the Grey's cage and Fred pulled some hair out of his tail. Madden has been scared of the birds ever since!! LOL When they are out, he hides until they are put back up. Our biggest problem is Daisy. She would eat them in a heartbeat if we gave her the chance. She spends an hour in the bedroom each day so the birds can have free run of the house. Most of the time I put Madden in there too for safety's sake, but I really don't think I have to worry about him. Its mostly just time and the different cats personalities. Some cats will get used to them and forget about them over time, others will always be fascinated!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

We have Madden, a cockatiel, an African Grey parrot, and the two dogs. Honestly, Madden has never cared a bit in this world for the birds. They were here first and when madden was a baby he got too close to the Grey's cage and Fred pulled some hair out of his tail. Madden has been scared of the birds ever since!! LOL When they are out, he hides until they are put back up. Our biggest problem is Daisy. She would eat them in a heartbeat if we gave her the chance. She spends an hour in the bedroom each day so the birds can have free run of the house. Most of the time I put Madden in there too for safety's sake, but I really don't think I have to worry about him. Its mostly just time and the different cats personalities. Some cats will get used to them and forget about them over time, others will always be fascinated!
That's what worries me about Reilly and Tiger. More Reilly then any of them. She would take a bit out of them in a heartbeat

I have had to get her down off my desk MANY times. When We leave we put her and Tiger in the bedroom and close the doors just in case. That's where Reilly's babies are anyways and I know Tiger won't hurt the kittens... I just realized, I have a HOUSE FULL!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two Dusky conures and two cockatiels. I had an accident once with a budgie, so now I have house rules... maybe you can use some of them.

I only get out the birds either when I am in the bird room (the office) and I know no cats are in there, or when the cats are temporarily locked away in another bedroom. I do let the cats watch the birds and climb on the cages (but I have very durable high quality cages), it seems to give them a lot of joy.
Or something like that. My conures will bite the cats if they get too close, but the others have no clue except to be very afraid, so I am especially careful with them.

It can work out, you just have to be very careful... don't EVER think that your cat won't try to hunt one down, even if they are calm and laid back around the birds (Godiva is the one that killed my budgie, and she's the most laid back and non-chalant about the birds... until one fluttered to the floor and triggered her instinct).

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're in the US, www.tailfeathersnetwork.com is a good site as well... the forum is very helpful with a good mix of people, but not mean about anything that they support that may be considered extremist.

If you (in general) ever think of getting a larger parrot, I do suggest going to www.mytoos.com before you decide to take in these complex and incredibly intelligent creatures... they speak the truth, even if they are a little extremist.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

That's what worries me about Reilly and Tiger. I just realized, I have a HOUSE FULL!
Me too! I am so embarrassed about it that I rarely tell people how many pets I have... except you lovely annonymous people on the internet!
My husband jokes that we have a zoo, even though we have only birds and cats.... we just have so many of them.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Me too! I am so embarrassed about it that I rarely tell people how many pets I have... except you lovely annonymous people on the internet!
My husband jokes that we have a zoo, even though we have only birds and cats.... we just have so many of them.
I blame it on my dad. He raised me on a farm. I grew up with 9 dogs, 12 cats, 14 horses, 25 cows and well over 2500 different birds (chickens, peacocks, pheasents, ducks, geese, turkey, macaws, amazons... ) I could go ON and ON!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too was raised on a farm, and I can't shake the habit of bringing strays home with me all the time either! I also get embarrassed when we talk about how many animals we have, friends call me the zookeeper!

We have the two birds, two dogs, Madden, a hamster, two mice, and lots of fish. And hubby wants a guinea pig!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I don't have that excuse... I am a city girl! I don't know where this love of animals came from... growing up, we had one outdoor basically feral cat, and one cockatiel years after that... but when I started making my own money, that's when all the animals showed up.
I'm at my limit, but I am deathly afraid that someday I'll become a hoarder of cats or birds... I guess I won't since I recognize it and all, but still, it scares me.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd also recommend having a look at the mytoos site. I think it 'over-eggs the pudding' a bit, but it's quite valuable in that it points out the work that is needed to keep a large bird, and the problems that neglect can cause in such intelligent and sensitive creatures.

I was always first and foremost a bird-person, grew up with budgies as did my mum. I think this is the first time in my life that I have not had a budgie, since poor little Max passed away earlier this year. Radar is my very first cat, and I don't think I'll get any more budgies, they just seem too small and vulnerable now that I have a cat in the house.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw... I miss budgie chit-chat so much.
Maybe you can get a conure. My Duskies are wonderful! One is a rescue and the other I got from an all-bird pet store (good reputation) in my area. They aren't as sensitive as the bigger birds, but are more fun than cockatiels. They aren't really comparable to budgies, it depends on how close you were with your budgie and how bonded the budgie was to you. They can also hold their own against the cats, and I keep mine's wings fully grown so they can escape if they need to (not that they are ever in a situation where they would need to, if I can help it, but maybe someday I'll leave the door open or something like that).

Anyway, I'll stop rambling... I think birds are also my first love, but cats are definitely a close second!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I blame it on my dad. He raised me on a farm. I grew up with 9 dogs, 12 cats, 14 horses, 25 cows and well over 2500 different birds (chickens, peacocks, pheasents, ducks, geese, turkey, macaws, amazons... ) I could go ON and ON!
I was a farm
22 Racehorses Thoroughbreds and Quarters, 14 cats, chickens, rabbits, pot bellied pig, regular pigs, geese, ducks, a couple of cows, basset hounds all over I raised them, goats you name it I have had it at one time or another. When I was younger My Dad worked for the SPCA for 11 years and my Mom alway's used to say I hope they never get anything large there or he'll bring it home, Its a learning experince it was fun then but I wouldn't do it again
And how I wish I had a bit of money for all the hours I worked

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I was a farm
22 Racehorses Thoroughbreds and Quarters, 14 cats, chickens, rabbits, pot bellied pig, regular pigs, geese, ducks, a couple of cows, basset hounds all over I raised them, goats you name it I have had it at one time or another. When I was younger My Dad worked for the SPCA for 11 years and my Mom alway's used to say I hope they never get anything large there or he'll bring it home, Its a learning experince it was fun then but I would do it again
And how I wish I had a bit of money for all the hours I worked

My dad originally bought the farm so that children with with disabilities could come and interact with the animals. It did'nt work out that way... too many permits and zoning restrictions... but all the neighborhood kids sure loved it!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My dad originally bought the farm so that children with with disabilities could come and interact with the animals. It did'nt work out that way... too many permits and zoning restrictions... but all the neighborhood kids sure loved it!
Oh I know everyone that knew us used to tell there kids comeon were going to Aunt Lois's and Uncle Mike's wild Kingdom
Never had to go to the zoo there was one right down the road

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Aw... I miss budgie chit-chat so much.
Maybe you can get a conure. My Duskies are wonderful! One is a rescue and the other I got from an all-bird pet store (good reputation) in my area. They aren't as sensitive as the bigger birds, but are more fun than cockatiels. They aren't really comparable to budgies, it depends on how close you were with your budgie and how bonded the budgie was to you. They can also hold their own against the cats, and I keep mine's wings fully grown so they can escape if they need to (not that they are ever in a situation where they would need to, if I can help it, but maybe someday I'll leave the door open or something like that).

Anyway, I'll stop rambling... I think birds are also my first love, but cats are definitely a close second!
I nearly got a green-cheek once, well what I mean is that I was tempted but decided against because it would have been on impulse and I hadn't done enough research about that species to know whether it was a good idea or not. But then every time I see a bird needing a home I am tempted LOL

I don't know really, I had one budgie, then got Jasper the Sennie, then got another budgie so that the 2 budgies were company for each other cos Jasper is a very jealous bird and demanding of my time and attention. Jasper ignored the budgies, they loved each other, it worked well and no-one lacked attention. I think if I got another single bird Jasper would be so mad at me, he really does want me all to himself, typical Sennie