post spay care, indoor vs outdoor

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering why for feral cats the vet recommends 3 days indoors and then they are free to go outside.... but for my indoor cats they are recommending 2 weeks of rest and recovery?

i'm curious because i had an indoor cat spayed and i have to go off on trip, some one will be coming to care for them and entertain them while i am away but i worried that she will play with the others and over do it.... is this going to be a huge issue....? i'm wondering primarily because there is so little care for the ferals and they manage.....

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your cat that was spayed ? How long has been that she was spayed?

friend4life

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had my male ferral neutered..the vet only recommended that I keep him in the house overnight. The main reason being that he had anesthia (sp?) and wouldnt be up to defending himself outside if approached by another cat. I let him out in the house for a bit (hes not totally ferral) just so he could get his sea legs back. Kept him in overnight and left him out the next day. He stayed on the porch for a good bit with the other cats once I left him out. He did just fine.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zazi

I'm wondering why for feral cats the vet recommends 3 days indoors and then they are free to go outside.... but for my indoor cats they are recommending 2 weeks of rest and recovery?

i'm curious because i had an indoor cat spayed and i have to go off on trip, some one will be coming to care for them and entertain them while i am away but i worried that she will play with the others and over do it.... is this going to be a huge issue....? i'm wondering primarily because there is so little care for the ferals and they manage.....
Most TNR clinics use dissolving stitches and glue since they know the cat cannot be brought back in to have the stitches checked. Some vets that treat housecats will use the same method (the vets we use for our rescue use dissolving stitches and glue so that the kittens/cats do not need to be brought back and can be adopted out immediately following the spay/neuter)..but many still use the stitches that need to be removed.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

How old is your cat that was spayed ? How long has been that she was spayed?
Shes 6 -7 months and she was spayed about 6 days ago.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Most TNR clinics use dissolving stitches and glue since they know the cat cannot be brought back in to have the stitches checked.

Katie
Additionally feral cats are not prone to be as relaxed and as playful as an inside cat.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A true feral would go crazy inside for 2 weeks. And many people would not get the ferals spayed or neutered if they had to stay inside for 2 weeks, because they would have no way of caring for them. Or they would let them loose inside the house, and be unable to recatch them to release them.

I think the ferals also need to stay with their colony to keep the social order steady. If the kitty is gone for two weeks, maybe the colony won't accept them when they return.

It is sad that ferals can't be pampered and closely observed like a pet cat.