Another bad day...

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend has been having severe stomach pain. I'm worried to death about what wrong we both think its a peptic ulcer. Anyone know how you get those?
He has an appointment on Tuesday, I have been crying. So worried wanting to call 911 when he is in pain, scared to go to work and leave him.

So I go into my car and my CHECK ENGINE light comes on. I just balled, called my job crying like a big baby. Told them I would be late. Went to the car place, I just got my belts fixed a day before. Anyway some censor thing is messed up $398 to fix.
Im just glad its not the transmission like I thought it was. So I cant drive it to work(cant get it fixed till wed), I have no way to get there. My boyfriend cannot drive me because his car is a stick(so I could not borrow it, dont know how or really want to drive a stick) and it hurts to much for him to drive. My sweetest boss ever picks me up, to take me to work. A co worker is takes me home today tomorrow and mon and tuesday.

Im just having a bad day. had to rant thank you for reading.

PS one good thing today that has happened is my kitties giving us extra love cause we are sad.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness! I hope things get better for ya'll. It is bad enough for your boyfriend to be sick, but being without a car really sucks. At least you have a good boss and coworkers that are willing to help you out. Sending out "things get better" vibes to you and your boyfriend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My goodness! I hope things get better for ya'll. It is bad enough for your boyfriend to be sick, but being without a car really sucks. At least you have a good boss and coworkers that are willing to help you out. Sending out "things get better" vibes to you and your boyfriend.
Thank you thats all I wanted. Just one vibes. Im surprised everyone has so many vibes to give away. Thank you.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a horrible day!
I've had an ulcer and they really hurt - I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. But unless it's bad enough to be bleeding (and I think that's kinda rare) then it's pretty easily taken care of. I started feeling better right away. Hope everything goes well Tuesday!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{get better}}} prayers and vibes to your boyfriend AND your car.You must work with a great crew - I used to work in a dinnerhouse where the crew was very bonded like that
I hope that your week gets better.
As for driving a stick-shift - you might want to try it!! I find driving an automatic rather boring, except on city streets and among the hills of San Francisco. But with the Sierra foothills so close by, you could really have some fun!!
BTW, have you explored any of the caves around Calaveras county?? My best g-friend moved to Sacto last year, and we've been trying to tour all the caverns. It's fun; so's driving the 88 and stopping at roadside fruit stands

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having had my share of bad days recently, I hope your's gets better soon! There is always a light at the end of the tunnel, and you have found it with the friendly supportive attitude of your coworkers. Good luck with the bf's stomach problems - I hope that gets solved soon.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*giving you lots of hugs and sending you lots of positive vibes that everything gets better*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Sounds like a horrible day!
I've had an ulcer and they really hurt - I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes. But unless it's bad enough to be bleeding (and I think that's kinda rare) then it's pretty easily taken care of. I started feeling better right away. Hope everything goes well Tuesday!
Yeah he has problems bending over. How did you get it if I may ask?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer when I was 28-mine was due from stress. Lots of tagmet and a stress reducer class. He should have aspirin, booze, caffeine and I think nictotine for 2 weeks if it flares up. I had a trigger food (greasy pizza)and a trigger event (not eating breakfast the days we visited inlaws!!) Its ok now (21 yrs later!!) Vibes to the both of you.
I concur about learning the stick stift. My 1st car was a stick-go and practice in a parking lot that isn't used to get the hang of shifting!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is everything going today? Maybe a little better hopefull??? My prayers are with you and your boyfriend (and those cars!
) Keep your chin up sweetie...things will look up soon!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, peptic and duodenal ulcers are due to a certain bacterium, Helicobacter pylori. They can survive in the acidic environment of the stomach, and the waste products that they produce interfere with the mucosal protective lining of the stomach. They are NOT caused by stress, certain foods, or anything else, although these things can make them worse.

This is actually a fairly recent discovery (early 2000s) so don't feel bad if you thought they were due to stress or your doctor told you that it was. Treatment for stomach ulcers now includes antibiotic therapy... if he's had pain for more than a few weeks and it is severe, then he needs to see a doctor for an endoscopy to confirm diagnosis or a culture to test for the bacterium, then he needs to be put on a regimen that includes a type of antacid plus one or two antibiotics. (Can you tell we just covered this in our OTC and Self-Care class in pharmacy school?
) For symptomatic relief now, he should take Prevacid or Prilosec OTC or Tagamet OTC, but don't take those with the chewable-type of antacids that have calcium, magnesium, or aluminum. Those kinds of antacids can interfere with the absorption of the other drugs and they won't provide as much relief in the long-run.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Godiva is exactly right! I had my first ulcer at the age of 13, and I'm pretty sure it didn't help a lot hearing from every adult I met that I was too STRESSED!!! (in 1976 a 7th grader was anything but stressed.)

My more recent ulcer was about 5 - 8 years ago, and I went to the doctor and he put me on Prilosec (before it was OTC). Much to my surprise, I was better immediately (I told him that I'd TRIED antacids, LOL.) So he did a blood test, and there was that bacteria, h. pylori. It's difficult to get rid of, but very worth it. Make sure to have him tell the doctor if he's allergic to sulfa drugs, because the more common cure uses those. Good luck!