Tapeworms and Stool

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes - any parasite can. If your kitty has tapeworm, you'll often be able to see a segment on their butt - like a flat white thing - even just a small segment. Not seeing it doesn't mean they don't have tapeworm.

Best to get a fecal sample to Doc. It should be examined for parasites, period. Tapeworm and round worm are very common parasites. Unfortunately, over the counter products available at supermarkets and pet stores do NOT work. They simply cause the cat to expel the parasites. It does not kill the parasites or their eggs, and the cat becomes reinfested.

The only way to rid a kitty of internal parasites is to use a vet product (different, depending upon the parasite), and it will have to be administered in two stages - the first stage to kill the existing parasites. The second is generally after three weeks of finishing the first round. This allows for the lifecycle of the parasite - as the eggs mature, the second round of poison administration kills the next batch of adults. After another three weeks, a stool sample should be taken to the vet to make sure kitty is "all clear."

Some parasites have developed immunity to traditional treatment, thus the need to make sure the treatments worked. If not, you have to go another round with a different medication.

Our feral rescues had a parasite that was immune to traditional treatment, and it took us close to a year of trying various meds and combinations before we finally rid our pets of internal parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply Laurie.

Bella has been having loose stool for awhile now. She's been on the same food since April so it's not a result of a food change or anything. Bella gets car sick......everytime she's in the car to go the vet's office, she throws up. So I collected a stool sample yesterday and brought it in as opposed to stressing her out. I didn't get to talk to the doctor. They just took the sample and brought it to the back. She came back and told me the only thing he found was tapeworms. He prescribed the regular drontil (one pill now and the second one in 10 days). He also prescribed gastrafate for "an upset stomach". That is to be given to Bella once a day for 3 days. I know what tapeworms look like and all, I've just never experienced it where you don't see evidence of them. In the past, I've always found the little dried up worm segments in areas they sleep or stuck to the cat's fur near the rectum. That's a good suggestion to bring a second stool sample in later to recheck. I didn't think about that.

landwish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would keep a close eye on her and take the vet another sample if the problem continues. Some parasites and pretty tough to spot, and not ever parasite is present in every sample unless the animal is VERY infested.