New here, needing advice...abandondd stray 3-4 week old kittens!

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am Jess..

We have been feeding a stray cat at work for over a year now... she had kittens 3-4 weeks ago..

today it has been rainy and storming ALL day..and this morning, i could hear them crying from under the house, when i checked on them this morning, I saw that their eyes were badly matted shut...and that 3 of them were wet...

I got them out this evening, because thier mother didn't go near those kittens all day..but she was taking care of the other 2, whose eyes were also badly matted shut..

they were under this house in the mud & water....and lying on either plastic or insulation..

The momma cat has abandoned them..and I am going to try to save them!

Thier eyes were badly matted shut with either mud or feces, but we used warm water, paper towels, q-tips, & cotton balls and 2 hours later, we can see thier cute eyes peeking out at us!

they are 3-4 weeks old...teeth barely starting in..

what do I feed these little ones??

I do have a cat at home who is nursing 6 kittens that are almost ready to be weaned (she is afoster cat, as we do some rescuing in our home) i am really hoping that Jasmine (the momma cat at home) will accept these guys and help me raise them!!

The babies at home are all healthy & now eating softened solid food (between 5 and 6 weeks old)

I can't go home until monday morning... becuase I am working..so what can I feed these little ones until then??

Any & all advice would be greatly appreciated as well!!

thanks!!!!

Jess & the zoo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks! checking out that link now!
I am a residential aide.and I take care of mentally & physically handicapped, so i can't just "up & leave" to get supplies....

I basically do home health care..and stay in thier home from friday nights at 11 pm till monday morning at 7 am....have my hours done..and ready for my week at college! lol

definately will have them vet checked before introducing them to our home..too many critters to chance getting them all sick!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jrosler04

Hello everyone! I am Jess..

We have been feeding a stray cat at work for over a year now... she had kittens 3-4 weeks ago..

today it has been rainy and storming ALL day..and this morning, i could hear them crying from under the house, when i checked on them this morning, I saw that their eyes were badly matted shut...and that 3 of them were wet...

I got them out this evening, because thier mother didn't go near those kittens all day..but she was taking care of the other 2, whose eyes were also badly matted shut..

they were under this house in the mud & water....and lying on either plastic or insulation..

The momma cat has abandoned them..and I am going to try to save them!

Thier eyes were badly matted shut with either mud or feces, but we used warm water, paper towels, q-tips, & cotton balls and 2 hours later, we can see thier cute eyes peeking out at us!

they are 3-4 weeks old...teeth barely starting in..

what do I feed these little ones??

I do have a cat at home who is nursing 6 kittens that are almost ready to be weaned (she is afoster cat, as we do some rescuing in our home) i am really hoping that Jasmine (the momma cat at home) will accept these guys and help me raise them!!

The babies at home are all healthy & now eating softened solid food (between 5 and 6 weeks old)

I can't go home until monday morning... becuase I am working..so what can I feed these little ones until then??

Any & all advice would be greatly appreciated as well!!

thanks!!!!

Jess & the zoo
Jess....I would keep these little kittens seperate from your mom cat and her kittens. You do not know why this mother abandoned her kittens and until they have been given a clean bill of health by a vet, you do not want to pass on any potential diseases to the other kittens.

First, you need to get a bottle and some KMR and plan to feed them every few hours. This is a very good website that you will want to visit:

http://www.kitten-rescue.com

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I would keep an eye out for they mother. If possible, maybe get a trap and catch her if you can't catch her by hand. The kittens would really do best with their own mama and I'm sure the mama could use a good home and a good spaying so she doesn't have to go through this again.

Good luck with the kittens!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

If I were you, I would keep an eye out for they mother. If possible, maybe get a trap and catch her if you can't catch her by hand. The kittens would really do best with their own mama and I'm sure the mama could use a good home and a good spaying so she doesn't have to go through this again.

Good luck with the kittens!
Definately use a trap if you see the mom cat again. I wouldn't risk being bit.

Katie

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you any where near zanesville? there is a kitten rescue down there that just took 4 of my kittens. they may be able to help.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know where zanesville is, sorry. I just moved here a couple weeks ago and am still trying to learn my way around.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

I don't know where zanesville is, sorry. I just moved here a couple weeks ago and am still trying to learn my way around.
I think Jen was addressing this to the original poster since it appears they are in the same State (Ohio).

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks to everyone for thier replies!!!

well..good news! the little ones are MUCH better today..we were alble to get the momma cat (gizmo or gizzy) to feed them, she is doing MUCH better at caring for them...i am bringing in one of the marichiro pig cages tomorrow..and we are putting it in the barn beside thier house, going to lock the momma cat in with them until they are bigger...it is a huge cage,and has a second floor, so she can get away from them when she needs to.....so we know she is caring for them properly.....decided it would be MUCH better to keep them here than chance getting my kitties at home sick!
and right now, i really can't afford the vet bill for getting HER & all the babies checked.....
(due to vet bills from my great dane getting sick!)

eyes are staying clear today...we cleaned them up again this morning!! they seem much fiestier after she fed them all night overnight (we locked her in with them!)

the momma cat is a stray that we have been feeding for awhile, we had her shots this spring, from a vet locally who works with a feral/stray program... we CAN pet her, but she doesn't liked being picked up...we have her and the other stray cats all dewormed, we deworm them once a month..until the babies came along!

She is getting spayed as soon as the spay/neuter program opens up here again!

we hd a huge "mess" not too long ago and the only cat shelter was closed,. with it's closing came more cats being dumped & less spay.neutering help!

oh, and zanesville is nearly 3 hours each way from me!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jrosler04

thanks to everyone for thier replies!!!

well..good news! the little ones are MUCH better today..we were alble to get the momma cat (gizmo or gizzy) to feed them, she is doing MUCH better at caring for them...i am bringing in one of the marichiro pig cages tomorrow..and we are putting it in the barn beside thier house, going to lock the momma cat in with them until they are bigger...it is a huge cage,and has a second floor, so she can get away from them when she needs to.....so we know she is caring for them properly.....decided it would be MUCH better to keep them here than chance getting my kitties at home sick!
and right now, i really can't afford the vet bill for getting HER & all the babies checked.....
(due to vet bills from my great dane getting sick!)

eyes are staying clear today...we cleaned them up again this morning!! they seem much fiestier after she fed them all night overnight (we locked her in with them!)

the momma cat is a stray that we have been feeding for awhile, we had her shots this spring, from a vet locally who works with a feral/stray program... we CAN pet her, but she doesn't liked being picked up...we have her and the other stray cats all dewormed, we deworm them once a month..until the babies came along!

She is getting spayed as soon as the spay/neuter program opens up here again!

we hd a huge "mess" not too long ago and the only cat shelter was closed,. with it's closing came more cats being dumped & less spay.neutering help!

oh, and zanesville is nearly 3 hours each way from me!
Just make sure that the mom cat cannot get back outdoors until she has been spayed. Otherwise she will become pregnant again.

Katie

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
most definately will do! she will stay in the garage/barn until spayed! no more strays needed around here!