Sleepy after shots?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Davidson went in today to the vet for his 2nd round of shots - he got his Leukemia shot, and his FVRCP second vac - he's been sleeping pretty much ALL day.... his appointment was at 9AM today, and ever since we got home about a 1/2 hour after that, he's been really sleepy - and he's been sleeping for the past.... 5 hours. I tried to get him up a few times, but he'd stand up, re-position himself, and go back to sleep.

He finally woke up now, came on my lap, and is now sleeping again

He wasn't this tired after his first shots - is this normal? He's usually so active, and Harley is going crazy not having his buddy around to play with!

I'm keeping an eye on him... but I just wanted to see how normal this is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My girls have gotten like that. It could be he was more stressed by it this time so it wore him out.
Thats true too - he was actually really good on the car ride there, and while he was at the vets. I was so proud of him - he didn't even cry when he got his shots

Oh, another question:

When he got his shots, the vet wanted to know if I wanted to hold him, or if I wanted the vet tech to do it. I told him I would rather have the vet tech hold him. Does anyone else's vets ask you that?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thats true too - he was actually really good on the car ride there, and while he was at the vets. I was so proud of him - he didn't even cry when he got his shots

Oh, another question:

When he got his shots, the vet wanted to know if I wanted to hold him, or if I wanted the vet tech to do it. I told him I would rather have the vet tech hold him. Does anyone else's vets ask you that?
No, my vet takes the boys back into a room to have their shots done. I've never really thought about asking to go back.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, most of the vets I've been to want the vet tech to hold them, at least until they get to know me. I've had pets long enough though, if I don't like the way a vet tech is trying to hold my animal, especially my dog, I will intervene, as they already don't like the vet as it is, and I don't want a bad experience with a vet tech to make it worse. Most of the time, it is as simple as saying "Don't do it that way, he doesn't like it- try this."
Most vet techs would welcome a warning, as not to get bit!

And yes, most of my cats sleep a lot after their shots. Just be sure to watch for signs of distress- doing the "loaf lay" (all 4 feet under them, but laying in a "loaf" shape- kinda all tucked up) and if your cat has any pink skin, excessive reddening or turning hot, hot pink, and the white eyelid showing in the inside corners of their eyes.
My cat had an allergic reaction to her first FULL set of yearly shots, but not her staggared kitten shots
. I had to take her to the emergency vet- she almost went into anaphalactic shock. However, this particular cat has a family tree that looks more like a pinetree than an oak
, so part of her problem comes from multigenerational inbreeding, so I'm thinking this is not a terribly commom problem-SO THIS IS NOT TO SCARE ANYONE
- I just wish I had known about it beforehand- I would have known to take her to the vet earlier in the day

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They did ask me if i wanted to at both vets I've been to. I'm too emotional over it all so I let them! Actually when the girls were small the vet did it himself with no help.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took Lilly into the Vets office,the Vet had me hold her down while she took her temp.They also have the owners hold them while they are giving them shots.
When we had our Rottie,the Vet was so scared of her that she made us muzzle our dog.And the whole time Shay was wagging her little nub 90 to nothing.
Lilly laid around for the most part for 2 days after her shots.I was told it is normal as long as the bounce back with in 2-3 days.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They did ask me if i wanted to at both vets I've been to. I'm too emotional over it all so I let them! Actually when the girls were small the vet did it himself with no help.
Same here - I'm too emotional, I don't want to see his little sad face looking at me with the "Mom, why are you making them do this to me?!"

I think when Harley goes in for his yearly checkup, and if he'll be getting shots, I'll have to be there to help hold him - he HATES strangers, I think it would be a bit better if I was there to be with him - I'd hate to see what he'd to do a vet tech

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet asked me. I usually hold my kitties for their shots and am present during the examinations. I figure that they are more comfortable and reassured having me with them.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow i'm amazed to hear everybody say they can hold their own pets at the vets office. The vets office i work at and all the others i've been to in NJ never allow an owner to hold the animal on visits. Its a liability thing around here. Also vet techs are there to assure nothing happens to the vet....ie, we take the bites instead of them. hehe. Well to the original question.....it is perfectly normal for an animal to be tired or sleepy after getting their vaccines, As long as the face is not swollen w/in an hr after getting shots your kittie should be fine. When Kricket got her 1st and 2nd set of kitten shots she was fine running around my house like crazy and when she got that final dose she was like a lump on a log, all day long. Just keep an eye on them and give them extra lovings since you turned a good day bad for them

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took Bobber in a couple of weeks ago not only did she get shots but the vet poked her "lump" on her faced (a cyst) and the one under her arm. She was stresses going to the vet in the 1st place and this was a 8 am appt she is normally outside most of the day but poor thing slept on our bed until I think 3:30!! All of mine are a bit sleepy after going to vet and I the vets have the cat on the countertop and hold and I usually have my hand on them too-the question never has come up with holding them or not-I should ask them next time.

jkrodger

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sleepy and very lethargic, I've found that now that my cats are grown, after their full set of yearly vaccinations, they're sleepy and irritable for up to 3 days, it's apparently very common for cats to get flu-like symptoms after their vaccinations (according to my vet and the HS's vet). We can't even pick ours up for 3 days b/c their stomaches are upset.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted a very similar thread last week, I'm pleased to report that Radar was back to his usual self within 36 hours.

I hold him at the vets, but he behaves so well - friendly and unafraid. He even put his paw on the vet's face, like he does to me when he wants to be petted.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

My girls have gotten like that. It could be he was more stressed by it this time so it wore him out.
Pixel in particular is always a bit lethargic after her annual shots. she's usually over it by the next day. how's Davidson doing?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing well - he was very sleepy all weekend, which was rare, he's usually up and running all over the place
But by last night (Sunday) he was up to his usual self, tormenting Harley

He's up to 7lbs, I might add!
We're going to have another tiger on our hands!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

He's doing well - he was very sleepy all weekend, which was rare, he's usually up and running all over the place
But by last night (Sunday) he was up to his usual self, tormenting Harley

He's up to 7lbs, I might add!
We're going to have another tiger on our hands!
that's almost as big as Cable!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SEVEN POUNDS?!?!!? How old is Davidson? Lily didn't get to be 7 lbs. until she was 9 months old....

A little tiger.....more like another elephant! lol

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was quite shocked myself. I asked the vet if thats too much, and he said not at all - he's perfectly healthy. He's definately not over weight he said - you can still feel his ribs and everything - he's SO long, and thin! Hence the name Slim that we've given him!

He'll be 5 months in October

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As everyone else said, it's normal, but if you're concerned, you can ask your vet about spacing the shots out if he's getting more than one. We're doing that for Polly because of her cystitis, and my vet mentioned it might lessen the lethargy she got last year.