How did this happen?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Dh and I went to go get 2 new tires on the truck this morning. They told us it would be about 2 hours so we decided to go shopping in the plaza. As we're walking we come to the pet store. Knowing I had to get some more Innova for Reilly I mentioned I needed to go there.
As we walk up there is a lady and her husband standing at the door of the pet store waiting for them to open. She has a cage with a Cockatiel in it sitting next to her. She looks at DH and I and says with broken english, "Free. You want?" Without even discussing it DH says "SURE!" (this is the same man who HATES animals
) She says "Gracias" and walks away!
I just looked at our 4 yr old and asked "Well what should we name him?" He says "Hmmmm....PEPSI!". (I'm guessing it had to do with me having a 20oz Pepsi in my hand
).. So.... $70 later including his wings clipped, nails trimmed and anything and everything a bird could EVER want... Here's Pepsi...

alikatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Pepsi is lovely. We had a cockatiel named Drella my entire younger life. She could do the cat call whistle, and say pretty bird. She looked just like your little Pepsi. I'm happy you took him. Who knows what could have happened otherwise. Drella lived a long happy life, and I wish you and Pepsi the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alikatt

Oh, Pepsi is lovely. We had a cockatiel named Drella my entire younger life. She could do the cat call whistle, and say pretty bird. She looked just like your little Pepsi. I'm happy you took him. Who knows what could have happened otherwise. Drella lived a long happy life, and I wish you and Pepsi the same.
Thanks!
He's a little chirper.

I haven't tried to pet or hold him yet. I can only imagine what kind of stress he's dealing with. It's been a big day for him

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww what a cutie!! I'm glad you were able to give him a good home.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepsi is adorable and I'm sure is going to be much happier with you!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats definately something that would happen to me & John - he'd accept something like that too!

What a pretty bird - have fun with him!

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh he looks like my Tweety. You have a very pretty bird there. I don't know about that one. My Tweety likes to holler or squack at times. Which can be quite deafing at times. I doesn't help that I have 2 more also and the other one is a squacker too. The other one has a pathetic little peep which usually means she is hungry.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
He seems to be VERY vocal. I'm going to give him a few days of getting use to us and his new surroundings before I try to handle him.
Jake doesn't seem to really care about Pepsi, Tiger hasn't taken an interest either but Reilly is VERY VERY interested in him. She has to be watched closely. I'm going to hang his cage in my room tomorrow. I just don't want to jostle him around anymore today. I have 10 foot ceilings so unless Reilly and Tiger learn to fly, he should be ok

I felt I have done my good deed for the week

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you are getting quite a collection!!! I hope you can get some sleep tonite.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! He looks just like my Chipper!!
(except Chipper is getting quite chubby
) They are sooo much fun!! Mine has quite a vocabulary for a cockatiel. He says Chipper, Pretty Bird, Pretty Chipper, Here Kitty Kitty Kitty (which Madden pays no attention to), Aren't you a (instert pretty bird or pretty chipper here), he sneezes just like me, and plenty of others that I can't think of right now. They can be stubburn though!

I hope you enjoy him! It was very sweet of you to save him!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Aww! He looks just like my Chipper!!
(except Chipper is getting quite chubby
) They are sooo much fun!! Mine has quite a vocabulary for a cockatiel. He says Chipper, Pretty Bird, Pretty Chipper, Here Kitty Kitty Kitty (which Madden pays no attention to), Aren't you a (instert pretty bird or pretty chipper here), he sneezes just like me, and plenty of others that I can't think of right now. They can be stubburn though!

I hope you enjoy him! It was very sweet of you to save him!!
I'm not sure if he knows how to talk yet. He's chirpping away though

I'm still trying to figure out if he's chirping because he's happy or if he's freaking out

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chirping is happy he's talking in his own language.
The sound of an upset, freaking out 'tiel is unmistakable (and very grating on the nerves)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Chirping is happy he's talking in his own language.
The sound of an upset, freaking out 'tiel is unmistakable (and very grating on the nerves)

I wish you all could hear him.
It's over and over and over

The good news is if the cats and him don't get along then he will have a happy home at my mom's. She has a Lovebird that I raised from and egg (literally). I hand fed him from a hatchling. He's 15 now
She said if it doesn't work out, she's more then happy to take Pepsi and my boys will see him 3 times a week also... But we are definalty giving it a try before we do that

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol...you and your family have "SUCKER" tattooed across your foreheads just like I do!!!!
Pepsi is prescious and his feathers look healthy!!!! I'm soo glad you and your family rescued him! I use to have several birds....so if you come up with any questions, send them my way and i'd be happy to help you!!! Have a great night! And enjoy that beautiful birdie!!!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

lol...you and your family have "SUCKER" tattooed across your foreheads just like I do!!!!
Pepsi is prescious and his feathers look healthy!!!! I'm soo glad you and your family rescued him! I use to have several birds....so if you come up with any questions, send them my way and i'd be happy to help you!!! Have a great night! And enjoy that beautiful birdie!!!
Yes, we have the sucker sign. I brought his cage out here in the living room on my desk to socialize him a little bit..I am about to put a sheet over his cage so he can have some peace and quiet.. (rather I can too
)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Yes, we have the sucker sign. I brought his cage out here in the living room on my desk to socialize him a little bit..I am about to put a sheet over his cage so he can have some peace and quiet.. (rather I can too
)
lol..you are too funny!
How is he settling in tonight? I definitely agree with you on covering him up at night.....I use to cover my birds every night as well.....especially Jazz....he would chirp up a storm if he didn't know it was "night time" lol....he would wake me up wistling the tune to the Andy Griffith show
I miss the little guy sooo much!!! I cried for a week when he passed away.
/ I hope Pepsi does well tonight!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how cute! Hi Pepsi! My best friend in Elementary school and Junior high had a thing in her family. Between her grandparents, aunts, uncles and thier house, they all named thier cats after sodas. They had Sprite.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww...what a pretty tiel! Pepsi is so lucky

Elmo (my 18 y/o tiel) won't take being covered, she hollars all night if you do. Oh, and whoever said that you will know the yell of an unhappy bird...that is the truest thing I have ever heard.

A lot of birds chirp a lot when the sun comes up or goes down...an instinct thing to call to their flock or something. It used to be like clockwork when I had three birdies.
They are so affectionate and loving, I can imagine since you had a bird before (I always wanted a lovebird!) you are excited about having one again (heck, I can't imagine not having one!)

Don't know what to tell you about the birds & cats thing. I've never had a cat, so we are learning the same curve as you, but a little reverse. Tell me if you find any tricks that works with keeping cats uninterested!