Neighbor's missing cat

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just found a flyer in my mailbox about a neighbor's missing cat and wanted to ask for some vibes/prayers for his safe return. Desmond, a gray/black tabby went missing last Monday when he slipped out of his collar. He's a very friendly cat and very much loved and missed. Thanks!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending positives thoughts for Desmond's safe return home.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding more {{{prayers and vibes}}}} for Desmond's safe return, and prayers of comfort and encouragment for the owner. Perhaps you could invite the neighbor to join us here at TCS, or at least check out the kind thread that you have set up for Desmond. Bless you for caring! Susan

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Just found a flyer in my mailbox about a neighbor's missing cat and wanted to ask for some vibes/prayers for his safe return. Desmond, a gray/black tabby went missing last Monday when he slipped out of his collar. He's a very friendly cat and very much loved and missed. Thanks!
Pass along this advice:

Most people donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t differentiate between searching for a dog and searching for a cat, which is a huge mistake, because they are like apples and oranges. Cats are territorial, so when an indoor cat escapes outside, they feel displaced into unfamiliar territory. A displaced cat (and also an injured or sick cat) will hide and they will be silent. So walking around and calling the catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s name doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work.

What that cat does is to look for the first place where she can hide, and she will stay there. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve had people who have recovered their cats six weeks later, and the cat was two houses down, living under the neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s house or under their deck.

Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve actually recovered lots of cats by treating them like ferals and setting a humane trap. These cats will sit there and watch and even listen to their person calling, but they will usually not respond.

Eventually, some of them will reach a threshold point between the seventh and tenth day where they finally do meow or they go into the humane trap, but many of them, especially the ones with skittish temperaments, just continue to hide.

As for a cat who is used to going outside, we really do advocate making your cats indoor-only. However, if an indoor/outdoor cat does go missing, it may be that theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been chased by a dog or beat up by another cat. They may run into an unfamiliar area, and they may hide in fear as well, or than can be transported out of the area by crawling into a car or the back of a truck.

Outdoor cats are still territorial. They donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t generally travel great distances by themselves, so theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re going to be found within their territory or just beyond it. Youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll want to get into your neighborâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s yard to search under their porch, under their house, and in potential areas where the cat is trapped, because, again, the behavior of an injured or sick cat is that they will crawl in or under something thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s familiar to them and they will hide. And again, they wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t answer your call.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
what if someones cat got away, and ran into the woods, the cat doesn't go outside, and here's the clincher... my friend brought her(cat) to her son's house across town today because she was having a baby shower at her house. whenever her husband went to pick up the cats, precious got away and ran into the woods, this was right at dark and it's been raining on and off all day. mind you the cat isn't in his neighborhood, and isn't used to being outside. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks in advance!!!!!!!!carwashcats

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by carwashcats

what if someones cat got away, and ran into the woods, the cat doesn't go outside, and here's the clincher... my friend brought her(cat) to her son's house across town today because she was having a baby shower at her house. whenever her husband went to pick up the cats, precious got away and ran into the woods, this was right at dark and it's been raining on and off all day. mind you the cat isn't in his neighborhood, and isn't used to being outside. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks in advance!!!!!!!!carwashcats
Hiya Monique
Great to see ya again.

I lost my Meir miles away while house sitting for a friend,I used his litter box and put it outside,he came back a couple of days later,Just be sure not to let the rain on the litter.

P.s Can I ask if you did find scream,sorry if I missed your thread

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking about Scream!..........that has been the reason why
you all haven't heard from me in awhile, she never came home, that was
very hard on me for a long time! I still miss her terribly! You all were so good
to me through that, I just got so sad everytime I would this of the catsite
well anyway, I'm better now, thanks for the advice, we already did that, we took it in the woods where she ran to, my friend poured it out over several ft.
and we sat on the front porch across from the wooded area for awhile, I got up and walked down the trail where we had left her carrier, with a towel in it, (hopefully she'll smell that too!) it had rained some after we poured out the litter but the woods are pretty thick so it didn't seem to hurt the litter, matter of fact when I walked back to it, OMG I think the rain actually intensified the smell! We finally left there around 12:00am, bless her little heart out there somewhere scared to death, and all alone! Brings back, and stirs up my haunting ordeal of losing my Scream! But I sure went to help out my friend, I know how this feels and it isn't very good! To put it mildly! I will check on the kitty tomorrow morning, bless my friends heart, I know she
won't sleep tonight, what a helpless feeling! Love ya'll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monique

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend whose cat ran into those woods about 2 wks ago called me today to tell me that sunday, she was going to her sons house to take him home, she said, "Monique your not going to believe this, but she turned on the road he lives on and her cat "precious" ran across the road right infront of her!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy!!!! that is amazing! she now has her back home safe and sound! i love happy endings! Monique