A very sad & heartbreaking day...

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Thursday I had to make one of the hardest decisions and it has torn a hole in my heart. I'm returning Phoenix back to the rescue since Nakita has become worse over the last month rather than better with Phoenix's presence.

On Thursday night, Nakita actually attacked me. She was hiding out more upstairs and started to eat less. Anytime she would hear Phoenix her body would tense up and on Thursday she showed me I couldn't keep Phoenix with us anymore. I have tried everything over the last month - I have used Rescue Remedy, Feliway, treats, play sessions etc. I introduced Phoenix slowly - even building a mesh screen so they could smell/see each other first. I have even moved Nakita's food/litter upstairs so she could have her space and Phoenix would spend most of her day with me downstairs. I would spend my nights upstairs with Nakita for 'our' time.

I guess this wasn't meant to be.
I added Phoenix on the advice of a vet who thought Nakita might need more mental stimulation during her day which might in turn help her hyperesthesia. I think Nakita is meant to be an only cat and I refuse to start drugging her to help her 'over' this introduction which has been suggested by some people as a last step.

Phoenix has been my dream cat. I've wanted a calico since I was a kid and she is the most adorable, affectionate, playful kitten a person could want. She *loves* attention and would do well in a house with other cats. During this last month, Phoenix just wanted to be with Nakita and would often lie down near her even though Nakita hissed and growled at the presence.

I'm returning her today to the foster home she originally came from. It has broken my heart but I need to do what is best for Nakita and get her healthy again. Phoenix, I'm sorry this didn't work out - but know you always have my love.

If anyone in the Toronto/GTA area knows of a great family who would give Phoenix a wonderful, safe, loving home please PM me and I'll pass on your info to the rescue organization. She is up on her vaccinations and is estimated to be around 4 months old. Thanks for taking the time to read.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this must be so hard for you to have to do.Sometimes things aren't meant to be and you sure have tried your best.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness Kass

You must be so terribly upset. Phoenix is a very special little girl.

Don't beat yourself up about this though, you did everything you possibly could to try and help Nakita adjust but as you said it wasn't meant to be. This just shows what a responsible kitty mommy you are to have to make this decision even though you've come to love Phoenix so much.

I wish I could take Phoenix (I've grown to really love that little face) but with 3 cats in an apartment it would be too cramped.

Sending you lots of hugs

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kass, I am so sorry things aren't working out

I wish I could take her but Matt would kill me (I tried bringing home a kitten on Wednesday and it was a flat no), I will certainly ask around - everyone at work has cats so they might know other cat lovers looking for a cat.

I can't see it being too difficult to rehome such a beautiful little girl if someone is looking for a cat

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. I know how hard this must be, but you're making the right decision. Wonton is the same - he has issues which may be hyperesthesia, but I found out a while ago that he's not good with other cats. You need to do what's right for Nakita, and that's what you're doing. Phoenix is going back to his foster home and will hopefully soon have a loving family to give him all the attention he could ever want. Sending good vibes to you and both kitties. xx

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart, I know this decision was not easy for you, but Nakita should be your focus right now and you know that. Eventually I hope you find peace with your decision when Nakita's returns to health. Don't worry about Phoenix she's a beautiful little kitten and someone will give her a great home.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry that it has come to this but I guess some cats are meant to be the only cats in the household. You are doing what is best for both cats and I'm sending healing vibes for Nakita and homing vibes for Phoenix.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Kass

I'm sorry to hear about this - don't beat yourself up over this - sending lots of hugs to you today

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish my dad would allow me to have another cat but he won't cause I would come get that beautiful girl if he would let me. I am so sorry that you had to make this decision.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry it didn't work out for Phoenix and Nakita. If I were in the Toronto area, I would snatch her right up. In fact I wish I could, because my sister just lost her beautiful kitty, and she is so heart broken, and she would be the perfect Mummy for this beautiful little girl.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for you. I know this was such a difficult decision but you have do what is right for Nikata and Pheonix. Sending lots of vibes to all of you.

Tricia

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you had to make such a difficult decison, but it was absolutely the right thing to do under the circumstances.
Sending lots of vibes that wonderful forever home comes along for little Phoenix.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry - I wish I lived in Ontario so I could adopt her, she sounds so sweet.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kass, I know this is breaking your heart!

Phoenix is such a happy, playful loving kitty I'm sure she'll find a new home soon! Some kitties just want or need to be alone kitties, and unfortunately there's just no way to know that until you try. You know in your heart you did everything you could to make it work, and Nakita simply doesn't want a pal. With her health suffering so, it's the right decision for Nakita, and that's what's important right now.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read this, you did all you could.
I hope that Phoenix finds a new home soon

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Phoenix looks so adorable, I love her cute little face
. I'm sorry you are going through this difficult time, but like you said some cats are just meant to be 1 cat homes
. Sending you
vibes that cutie Phoenix finds her new home.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kass, I'm so very sorry that it didn't work out, and that Phoenix wasn't something that Nakita could live with.
I know how much your heart is breaking over this, but Nakita has to be the top priority. Phoenix is such a pretty and outgoing kitten, I'm sure she will find another loving home very soon.