In DIRE need

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all. It's your friend in Russia.

I think my cat is dying and there is on one here to help.

Beazy has gone from bad to worse. Now, instead of eating very little, she is eating nothing. This has been going on for a week. Along with the no food intake, she is vomiting stomach acid. My other cat recently started the same behaviour.

The vet here has them both on saline drips twice daily with vitamins. Although they readily admit this is a contagious infection, they haven't put them on an antibiotic.

They are also treating Beazy with Geptral as her liver numbers were high in her blood work. (I don't understand what any of the numbers mean, but could transcribe them if someone out there does.)

Beazy has had a clear x-ray and an ultrasound (no idea what that showed).

She has gone from being playful and affectionate to pitiful. She can hardly walk. Her eyes are dull and seem...sunken back. She has more eye discharge than ususal.

I am desperate to help her, but don't know what to do! Russian medicine is bad enough when it comes to humans (drilling a hole in your face to let your sinuses drain...) but it's ridiculous when it comes to cats. I know she needs more than vitamins, but don't know what! If anyone has a vet who can help via the internet, please let me know. I can get medication easily (no Rx here), but don't know what she needs or how much.

Please, please help.

I'm off to see a second vet, but am not hopeful that she will be more enlightened.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry to hear of your poor fur-babies plight.

I have no advice, but do hope that someone can help you and your cats.
My prayers go out to you all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Tru. Prayer and sympathy gratefully accepted! I've been reading up, and it sounds like she has hepatic lipidosis--which is caused by cats not eating. Their liver then tries to process stored body fat.

The site (by Dr. Mike... anyone know him?) reccomends amoxicillin and insists that the cat MUST eat. I'm off to find more info.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a suggestion for most of your problems, but to encourage her to eat, if you have wet food, try heating that up. The warm smell can sometimes tempt their appetites. Otherwise, meat baby food (no onions or garlic) can sometimes get a cat to eat at least something. I'm sending good vibes and prayers for your baby to get better, and hoping someone with more knowledge will come along to help you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know of several cat folk in Russia on another list I am on, I've posted to that list requesting a vet recommendation - if anyone can make one for your city. As soon/if I get a reply, I will private message you. It may not be until Saturday as it is currently midnight my time and I'm off to bed soon.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending {{{{prayers and vibes}}} that you find answers very soon, and that you are able to help your precious cats. You must be very frustrated in your situation
Please keep us updated. Susan

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she might drink soup rather than eat solid food, but whatever else you do, get some food into her. Liquids of any kind are desperately needed now.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She just refuses to eat--I've tried all sorts of food--canned, dry, plain chicken, yogurt, etc. I tried putting the smallest bit of canned food directly on her tongue, and she fought and fought to not swallow. What little she did swallow was vomitted up--with blood.

She will drink a bit.

The vet is keeping her hydrated, but isn't really treating her. I did manage to insist on an antibiotic today, and she got an amoxicillan shot.

Online research seems to indicate this is Hepatic lipidosis. She needs to eat and to have antibiotics. In the US they'd put her on a feeding tube. Here, that's impossible.

I am seeing another vet tonight--who speaks some English. I would LOVE a reccomendation from Pat & Alix's friends. The vet I have been using is the one who treats the animals at the circus. The one I will see is approved by the UK to carry out their bloodwork requirements. They are the biological institute of veterinary medicine. (Or something like that...)

Many thanks. I'm devastated at the possibility of losing my dear friend--and feeling SO guilty for bringing her here with me. Since she is indoors, I thought she would be fine...

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bumping this up in love and desperation...

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My prayers are with you. Please don't feel guilty. Although I know that is easier said then done, it is obvious how much you love your baby and the lengths you will go threw to help her. I'm praying that you find the help you need. Others plights makes me more aware of how grateful we should be for the resources we have here.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You may have to get a hold of a syringe and force feed your baby. When I was force feeding my Petunia, I liquified some canned food and squirted it down her throat. Or use baby food whichever is easier to get through the syringe.

I'm praying for you.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, no response yet from the Russian members of this list I am on..they may all be at cat shows this weekend

I agree with assist-feeding her using a syringe, if your vet has access to Hills A/D canned food ask them if there is any reason you can't use it...it is meant for cats who need high calories and maximum nutrition and has a pudding like consistency that makes it easier to syringe feed.

If not, consider any canned food, blenderized w/ a bit of water to a puree. And a vitamin/mineral supplement paste such as Nutrical. Your vet should have some kind of supplement or high nutrition food to use.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I asked about feeding (I was asking about inserting a feeding tube) the vet told me that she was getting enough nutrition from the iv suplements they were giving her. She has, actually, been putting on weight.

However, I've read that her liver won't actually recover until she EATS. It's hard to get this across to the vets with my limited Russian...and their skepticism.

I cried in the office last night when the one vet who has limited English said, "I believe she will be better." This was such a change from everyone else who keeps telling me to prepare myself for her death.

I'd bring her straight home to my sis, but don't think she'd clear customs in the health she's in...her ears are visibly yellowed...

The amoxicillan is helping. I just hope it KEEPS helping! Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers. PLEASE keep them coming.

Kate

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree wih the others if you can get a syringe and feed her baby food, or really mashed up canned tuna/salmon. If you have a very small spoon that might work too. It could be a two person job. I hope things improve with your kitties.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When old Pete was so sick he couldn't eat, I got some strained baby meats, beef and turkey, mixed in some water to get it sucked up into the syringe, and force fed him for a week. He pulled through. I realize your baby is much sicker than than, but maybe she won't eat because she can't smell the food. Baby beef worked the best.

Prayers and all kinds of helping hands and soft pets and sorry heatbuts your way.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about your kitty. As you know, the yellowing of her ears indicates jaundice and shows that her liver isn't functioning. And you're correct--the liver has no chance of regenerating unless she eats. Has the vet made the hepatic lipidosis diagnosis? I lost my Bob to an idiopathic liver disease; bloodwork showed he didn't have fatty liver disease, but a definite problem with his liver just the same.
IMO, your girl MUST have assisted feeding; she cannot possibly be getting all the nutrients she needs from IVs & supplements. If you can't get someone to help you hold her, wrap her in a towel with just her head poking out. A syringe works very well; just make sure the food you give her is liquid enough to flow easily. She will fight you, no matter how weak she is, but you really have to do this. Feed her several syringe-fuls of food at a time, every 3-4 hours. From everything I've read on liver diseases, she won't begin to eat on her own until she is good and ready. My vet told me it typically takes 6-8 weeks before a cat will decide to begin eating on it's own once it has stopped.
I know how hard it is to see your kitty in this condition. You & she & your other kitty will be in my prayers. Best of luck.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prays your way that your baby pulls through.Yellow ears indicates Jaundice.I am hopeful that you are able to get some food down your baby SOON!!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been worrying about Beazy for days now. Is there any update? Sending (((big hugs))).

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys are the BEST! Sorry to be offline for so long. It's been busy here.

I took all your good advice and began an aggressive syringe feeding regime. I'm using Hill's i/d (I've got l/d, too) and diluting it with water. She's really very good about letting me feed her. We've worked up to 8-10 ml at a time, every 3 hours. I called in sick on Friday and will still be "sick" on Monday. I'll have to extend the time between her feedings to accomodate work, but will still make sure she's eating often.

I am encouraged by the results I've seen since Thursday night. Beazy's eyes are nearly white again and her ears are noticably less yellow. The vet agreed. (One difficult thing--besides the language and culture barriers--is that the vets here only work twice a week. We see four different vets in a week--and at least that many nurses. They are all getting quite fond of Beazy, though, which helps. She's famous at the hospital.)

I'm prepared for the next couple of months to be difficult. I'd bring her back to the US, but don't think she'd clear customs. So, we press on.

I read about someone who had good results using dandelion and milk thistle, but am afraid to try that on my own.

I've asked them to stop the Geptral until Monday night (it makes her sick when they give it to her--which makes it hard to eat). Her blood work was worse after a course of Geptral, so I didn't see why we should continue. Anyone else used this? I think it's a Russian drug. They have great faith in it...but they also have a low success rate.

She has not be officially diagnosed with hepadic lipidosis. That's just my best guess. They don't have any diagnosis for her...although one vet thought it might be FIP. I don't know what that is, though...and she couldn't explain. She just gave me suppositories that will boost her immune system to counter that.

Sorry to ramble on. I SO appreciate all your help and support. It's been really difficult trying to do this on my own. You all make it easier.

Kate