Help, Serious problem!!

nixx_sixx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, while indoors is the perfect cat. Shes great with people, doesn't tear things up, uses her litter box, and is quite/well behaved (sp?)

Now on to the problem. She got fixed just before summer, and ever since then she has had a huge urge to go outdoors. I am living with my sister, neice and dad, and I told them that she was under NO CIRCUMSTANCES to go outside. Problem is I am a full time university student, and I have a full time job, so my time at home is limited, and no one really listened to me when I said she has to stay in the house. So now she has been killing animals...at first small ones (birds, bunnys ect) and now shes moved on to animals her own size (skunks, Full grown rabbits). She likes to bring her kill into the house (sometimes still living) and my dad said, after having to chase a full grown rabbit that was dying, that I either fix the problem, or the cat goes. But if the cat goes, I go, and I cant afford to live on my own just yet, since I am paying for my schooling 100% by myself. So heres where you all come in. Right now she is confined in my room, only let out when im home (about a day) and if anyone has any advice that they could offer up that would be great.

thanks alot
-Nixx

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While the room is not ideal, it may be best for now if that is they only way to work it. Make sure she has plenty to do there however so she doesn't get bored and tear up the room. Maybe some interactive toys.

Other possibility is to have a close friend or someone care for her at least during the day, like a kitty day care, or temporarily rehome her until you can be on your own or until summer when you are around more often.

Awesome job though going to school full time and working full time, that's great! I don't think I could do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nixx_sixx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol thanks alot. I was thinking of getting a bell, that way i know if shes behind me when im going outside. Shes pretty tricky.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

While the room is not ideal, it may be best for now if that is they only way to work it. Make sure she has plenty to do there however so she doesn't get bored and tear up the room. Maybe some interactive toys.

Other possibility is to have a close friend or someone care for her at least during the day, like a kitty day care, or temporarily rehome her until you can be on your own or until summer when you are around more often.

Awesome job though going to school full time and working full time, that's great! I don't think I could do that.
I agree with Jen- you are doing everything you can right now. I applaud you for being a resposible owner and having her spayed and indoors! She is very lucky to have you! She is more safe in your room than outside....so for right now, if that's the only alternative, I would suggest keeping her in your room unless you have a good friend who can watch her for you. Good luck sweetie! Keep us posted

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nixx_sixx

Lol thanks alot. I was thinking of getting a bell, that way i know if shes behind me when im going outside. Shes pretty tricky.
A bell is a wonderful idea. All of my girls have break-away collars (so they can't get hung on anything) with their rabies tags, id name tags, and little bells on them

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like everyone else said, sounds like you are doing everything you can. You probably can't afford to buy a cat tree, but if you can improvise something so she has vertical space, (especially by a window), that may help keep her contented too.

Seems kind of sad that they are the ones that let her out and then complain about the problem because of it. *sigh*

I hope all works out ok for you and your little girl.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bell is fine for you to hear her, but it won't stop her catching things - all of mine have bells and they all bring home something almost every day. Cats very quickly learn to hunt keeping hte bell silent. I do hope you solve the problem though - it is of their own making, it seems to me!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you be willing to call your vet and talk with them about this? I don't understand why spaying would make her want to go outside. I have had two spayed females for years and they didn't want anything to do with the outside, even though they could see the birds and the other feral cats outside. Perhaps maybe there still may be tissue in there that is causing this, althought I don't know what it could be. Just a thought.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKiya

Would you be willing to call your vet and talk with them about this? I don't understand why spaying would make her want to go outside. I have had two spayed females for years and they didn't want anything to do with the outside, even though they could see the birds and the other feral cats outside. Perhaps maybe there still may be tissue in there that is causing this, althought I don't know what it could be. Just a thought.
I am thinking that the predator behavior and the time of spay are probably just coincidental. Unless they are pediatric spays, most vets spay/neuter as the kits are coming out of their baby stages and developing to the next stages of their life.

I know many moms teach their kits how to hunt, but the inner drive is their anyway. Some probably have a stronger drive than others.
Of course this is all guessing on my part, but it sounds good on paper.