Cats eating dog food

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SIL who farms has lots of barn cats, some like to hang around the house and while friendly these are by no means "pets". They have a dog whose food dish is in the garage and they feed IAMs dog food. The cats love that food and more of them hang around the house instead of eating the "tuffies" (an inexpensive brand) of cat food in the barn. My SIlL though perhaps they should get IAMS cat food but I advised with the large amt of cats-it would be $$$ so get Purina cat chow instead. What cost effective dry food would you suggest and how can they stop the cats/kittens from eating the dog food??? (Other than not free feeding the dog or blocking off the garage)

Thanks

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feed the dog inside the house, not outside where the barn cats hang out.

Any cat food that is premium is going to cost a little more than other cat foods and we tend to suggest premium cat foods but it's up to you if you want to go with brands like Purina Cat Chow or Friskies to save money. Remember, you're feeding them, so they're technically your cats. I personally wouldn't worry about spending a little more for Iams or Purina One.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Isn't Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul cheaper than Iams?
I'm sure I purchased Iams in the past and thought it was pretty expensive for a so-so food when you can get brands like Felidae, Innova, Nutro, etc., etc. for the same price.

Chicken Soup costs about $18-$20 for a 16 to 18 lb. bag.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to check out Costco or Sam's Club for the large bags of cat food.

We used to get Costco's Kirkland Cat Food - came in 25 lb bags at about $10 a bag.

We get the Kirkland Chicken/Rice for our lab - its a 40 lb bag for $14.

mfluffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, it can be deadly to certain types of cats to eat dog food!
Second of all, I suggest making a small area for the cats to eat, and give them cat treats and call them, if you can. Always serve a side of meat (about 1 slice) with the food, so they'll eat the meat, and once they're there, they'll eat the rest.
If that doesn't work, trying giving them Felidae, Science Diet, anything other than Iams (for various reasons).
Try everything, and good luck!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Science Diet isn't any better than Iams and it's awfully expensive. How about Nutro Max Cat? You can get that at a pet supply store like Petco and it costs less than Nutro Natural Choice and much less than Science Diet which really isn't any better than Purina Cat Chow, read the ingredients.

And if you're going to go with Iams or Purina One and I do think they're better than Purina Cat Chow you could probably get them cheaper at Target.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just looked on petfooddirect.com and Purina One is more expensive than Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul.
Below are some prices I looked up on Pet Food Direct

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Adult Cat Formula
18-lb bag
$20.99

Purina ONE Chicken & Rice Formula for Cats
16-lb bag
(Limited time offer.) reg. $22.59 $20.59

Iams Original Formula Cat Food
20-lb bag
$33.49

Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Adult Cat Food

20-lb bag

$34.99

Nutro Max Cat Adult with Salmon Meal
20-lb bag
(Limited time offer.) $21.49 reg. $29.49

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dog food in a small quanitity is not an issue... But THE CATS need cat food for the higher protein and taurine ... Max cat by nutro or chicken soup would be cost effective as the 20 lb bags are about 20 dollars ... cat chow is fine but they ll pay alot more due to the cats eating much more ...

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Dog food in a small quanitity is not an issue... But THE CATS need cat food for the higher protein and taurine ... Max cat by nutro or chicken soup would be cost effective as the 20 lb bags are about 20 dollars ... cat chow is fine but they ll pay alot more due to the cats eating much more ...
Go with Max Cat or Chicken Soup and you've got a cat food that is both premium and cost effective. Now that I see this, this is what I would do if I was feeding ferals or barn cats that are not pets but need someone to look after them, I'd go to my local Petco and pick up a bag of regular Max Cat(Maybe mix up the flavors, they've got salmon and lobster flavors as well as original chicken so you can pamper those barn cats cost-effectively) or if Chicken Soup is available get that instead since it has more meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their dog is an outside dog who sleeps in the garage. No pet/house cats at all.
Their just don't want to spend lots on cat food as milk prices are crummy right now and they need to really watch their expenses. I have to buy cat food for Ox thi sweek I'll see of I can get some free or low cost samples and have them try out a few different kinds.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most cost effective ( low end premium ( it has corn wheat and soy but no by products or chemicals ) Is SPORTMIX.... it is 6.99 for 18lbs and 13.99 for 35lbs