Humm...tornado watch or shopping???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So right now, Memphis along with a few other areas are under a tornado watch- which almost always winds up turing into a warning.
It just happens to be at the same time that Garden Ridge (similar to Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, Michaels...-but 5x larger) has an AWESOME sale on!!! Uhhhh! They have those huge yummy jar canles for $2.50....ok so i know i shouldn't even be asking this....lol...but should I go shop and completely ignore the watch...or just stay home. Wow, I do have a candle obession....this is sad lol...did I mention I lived through the tornado that completely inilated Moore,Okalahoma when i was only a few minutes down the road in Noble,Ok visiting family a few years back. Lol....hummm I think I can make it there before it starts to storm. And hey- if the power goes out, i'll have lots of candles! This could definitely work!!!

At the moment- it's sprinkling in some areas....and it's SUPER windy....so i'm waiting to see if the wind dies down before I decide to go or not.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea,, so how far is it from you???

I'd go,, but hurry back!!! Better safe then sorry,, But ya gotta have candles if the power goes out!!!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant believe you are making a poll about this
..... I would stay home, but Im terrified of tornadoes !!!!! ....... just be careful the weather in our area is unstable right now .....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would go! but then I'd probably be safer in there than at my trailer
also known as a tornado bullseye
but I'd worry bout the kitties

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angelkitty- Well, The candles would definitely come in handy should the power go out lol....i'm only about 10-15 minutes away....but there are large sturdy buildings the entire way..so I could always pull over if need be.

Pami- lol...I couldn't resist making a poll- it was too funny! I lived through a few OK tornadoes, so i definitely understand your fear- they're nothing to mess with- but thankfully it's starting to look a bit better outside...if it remotely looked bad i wouldn't even chance it- ALL of my furbabies and I would be in the bathroom lol..There's still a watch out- but it's looking better outside and the wind has died down (it could easily pick up though, so i'm always careful about it)

Katiemae1277 - lol, i think i'd put the kitties in a carrier and take them in a ditch with me lol....My sister Monica and her family lived in a trailor for quite a while before they were able to build their home (her husband builds the most gorgeous houses for a living!!!!!) Do you have a storm cellar anywhere near you?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read all of the latests posts from some other new threads about the tornados in Arkansas....the tornadic activity seems to be picking up in Arkansas pretty badly...which means it will most likely make it's way east and into the Memphis areas soon. So I need to head out now before it gets bad.I think i'm going to run out to the store really fast before it gets worse. Colin & I are literally out of everything at the moment...and I have 2 candles at his house. (I'm not at mine at the moment- there were several shootings in my neighborhood this week...so my girls are with me, and my mom insisted on staying at our house with the dog
- she worries me sometimes!) Our watch right now is set to expire at 7pm....but that will likely be extended should the weather pick up! Stay safe you guys in Arkansas!!!!!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nikki, just be careful !!! We have watches and warnings here, too ..... this unstable weather is everywhere ..... our warnings are on the top of the state (near Tennessee) so just be careful !!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the midwest, we pretty much ignore the watches (and even the warnings) until the siren goes off. It seems like every day is a watch or warning in the Spring and Fall, and we'd never get anything done.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got in the car ready to head out. I went to Sheridans (about 30 seconds down the road
) and got a milkshake - I was about to have a dizzy spell, so I stopped quick to get some food/liquid into my system (nothing major, I just have Vertigo). Anyways, when I was about to leave, one of Colin's friends who's also a bartlett police officer pulled up by my car and was like "Nikki, where do you think you're going? - and then I told him lol..."candle shopping!" Then he told me to go back to Colin's house and go shopping tomorrow because the storm was headed our way. So that's what I did. And right on the way back, the warning and watches came over the radio and the wind really started to pick up. So i'm just going to stay here to be on the safe side for now. I have 2 candles at his house and 1 or two flashlights that I know of. I think i should be fine should the power go out. Hopefully that won't happen
....looks like no candle shopping for me today! Oh well, better safe than sorry. Maybe they'll still have the sale on tomorrow?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PurrPaws

Here in the midwest, we pretty much ignore the watches (and even the warnings) until the siren goes off. It seems like every day is a watch or warning in the Spring and Fall, and we'd never get anything done.
That's what I normally do also, but it was starting to look really nasty outside, so I hightailed it back lol.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

That's what I normally do also, but it was starting to look really nasty outside, so I hightailed it back lol.
well, altho i voted for go, i'm glad you're safe!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stay safe ... and cuddle up with the girls

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, altho i voted for go, i'm glad you're safe!
So am I. I had every intention of going....but Colin's friend and the bad weather convienced me otherwise. It's super windy as well....two of the guys were already working one wreck because of the wind- it was right by Sheridans, so that's why his friend came over to talk to me...they all know my car...which always means they sneak up on me, turn their lights on, blast their horns and sirens at me, and get on the loud speaker - they're soo bad! lol ..but they're all good guys, especially Colin, he's my favorite
!!! So for right now, I'm on the couch watching Oprah with the weather ticker at the bottom of the screen. If the sirens go off- ALLLLL of us will be in that bathroom lol!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

So for right now, I'm on the couch watching Oprah with the weather ticker at the bottom of the screen. If the sirens go off- ALLLLL of us will be in that bathroom lol!!
a couple of years ago, the siren went off here, so Pixel, Mosue & i spent some time in our teeny bathroom. i have a suggestion - take a comforter & some pillows with you - that floor/bathtub gets awfully hard!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Stay safe ... and cuddle up with the girls
How did you know they're already snuggled up on the couch with me watchin Oprah!
lol....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

a couple of years ago, the siren went off here, so Pixel, Mosue & i spent some time in our teeny bathroom. i have a suggestion - take a comforter & some pillows with you - that floor/bathtub gets awfully hard!
I already have the guest bathroom ready to go if we need it- there are pillows and blankets in the bathtub, and emergency radio, snacks, water, a flashlight, and my cell lol....I did that about an hour and a half ago just in case. Sounds like you and your kitties were crowded in that bathroom! I also take down the shower rod...most people forget to do that, but it can easily fall on you and puncture you....I learned that in OK...from all of the "tornado veterans" lol...
You're right on the hard bathtub floor! Those are aweful without pillows!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh...the sirens went off here and it's physically IMPOSSIBLE for a tornado to hit or come within a few miles of my neighborhood (I like about 4 bloack from the lakefront)!!! And all it did was make me panic and try to figure out what I was going to do with the cats, depsite what I know about tornadoes and the lake :

Glad to hear everyone's safe!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize Chicago was having bad weather also! Stay safe up there! / We still have a tornado watch down here in Memphis- it was extended
....but so far the wind has calmed down a bit outside, so that's good.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the weather now? I hope you can go candle shopping tomorrow--woohoo candles!