Momma cat moving kitten

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the last two mornings our momma cat keeps moving the same kitten out of the box and behind our bedroom door (the box is on our bedroom) Is this cause for concern? I can't seem to figure out why she is doing this. I wish cats could talk lol
Thanks,
ABK

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

For the last two mornings our momma cat keeps moving the same kitten out of the box and behind our bedroom door (the box is on our bedroom) Is this cause for concern? I can't seem to figure out why she is doing this. I wish cats could talk lol
Thanks,
ABK
She is only moving 1 kitten??

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

She is only moving 1 kitten??

Katie
Yes, she has only moved one. Maybe it's cause I haven't given her a chance to move the others, I don't know. I usually notice almost right away. Yesterday morning, for example, she moved him I noticed and I put him back. Not long after I left the room she moved him again, so I put him back once again. After that she didn't move him again till this morning.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Yes, she has only moved one. Maybe it's cause I haven't given her a chance to move the others, I don't know. I usually notice almost right away. Yesterday morning, for example, she moved him I noticed and I put him back. Not long after I left the room she moved him again, so I put him back once again. After that she didn't move him again till this morning.
Ok...do me a favor...next time she moves him....watch her to see if she gets the rest of them. When a mom moves only 1 of a litter..that can sometimes mean that the kitten is sick and she is trying to get it away from the others. However, since you have always "caught" her in the act..she may be trying to move the entire litter. Could she be rejecting the nesting box and looking for a new location for her family??

Katie

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ok...do me a favor...next time she moves him....watch her to see if she gets the rest of them. When a mom moves only 1 of a litter..that can sometimes mean that the kitten is sick and she is trying to get it away from the others. However, since you have always "caught" her in the act..she may be trying to move the entire litter. Could she be rejecting the nesting box and looking for a new location for her family??

Katie
Alright I will do that. She hasn't attempted to move any of them again this morning after the first time. I don't see why she would be rejecting the box, its big enough, and isnt dirty.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Alright I will do that. She hasn't attempted to move any of them again this morning after the first time. I don't see why she would be rejecting the box, its big enough, and isnt dirty.
Could it be the location of the nesting box??

Katie

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Could it be the location of the nesting box??

Katie
Possibly, I could try moving it and see what happens.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well last night our momma cat yet again moved the same one kitten. After I realized it and put him back I sat in the bedroom for a bit watching them. I noticed that when either of the kittens got too close to coming out of the box momma cat would try to pick them up. So maybe that's all it is, or maybe the one she keeps moving is sick...I don't know! lol

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Well last night our momma cat yet again moved the same one kitten. After I realized it and put him back I sat in the bedroom for a bit watching them. I noticed that when either of the kittens got too close to coming out of the box momma cat would try to pick them up. So maybe that's all it is, or maybe the one she keeps moving is sick...I don't know! lol
It's normal for a mom cat to move a wandering kitten back to the nest...but if she is moving only 1 to a completely new location, I would just check to see if it's gaining weight and looking healthy. Again...in the wild....cats do abandon sick kittens, it's a ingrained instinct to protect the other kittens. But it sounds as if that may not be the case in your situation.

Katie

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

It's normal for a mom cat to move a wandering kitten back to the nest...but if she is moving only 1 to a completely new location, I would just check to see if it's gaining weight and looking healthy. Again...in the wild....cats do abandon sick kittens, it's a ingrained instinct to protect the other kittens. But it sounds as if that may not be the case in your situation.

Katie
I guess all I can do is keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried moving the box to where she is moving the kittens? Another idea would be to buy a crate so she can't move the babies. Just let her out every once in a while to eat/drink/potty.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

Have you tried moving the box to where she is moving the kittens? Another idea would be to buy a crate so she can't move the babies. Just let her out every once in a while to eat/drink/potty.
Well she hasn't attempted to move any of them today. I could try moving the box if she continues to do it.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ABK

Yes, but the suggestion was to let her move the kitten and not move the kitten back, but to watch and see if she moved the others too.

You need to find out if she is trying to move only that one kitten or if she's trying to move them all and you are interfering by moving it back before she has a chance to finish her task.

Next time she moves the kitten, leave it and see if she moves the others too. If she doesn't and it's only that one kitten, then she has a problem with that one kitten only. But if she is moving them all, then she has a problem with the area her little nest is in.

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yes, but the suggestion was to let her move the kitten and not move the kitten back, but to watch and see if she moved the others too.

You need to find out if she is trying to move only that one kitten or if she's trying to move them all and you are interfering by moving it back before she has a chance to finish her task.

Next time she moves the kitten, leave it and see if she moves the others too. If she doesn't and it's only that one kitten, then she has a problem with that one kitten only. But if she is moving them all, then she has a problem with the area her little nest is in.
Thanks for your reply but your a little late since I posted this a few days ago. TnR1 and tortie told me everything I need to know/try. Have a nice day!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I too read her reply as being that she just kept moving the kitten back and not waiting to see if mom cat moved all or just one of the kittens. It was a bit confusing so I understand why you would think that. Actually I'm still confused but that could just be a "senior's moment".

abk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I too read her reply as being that she just kept moving the kitten back and not waiting to see if mom cat moved all or just one of the kittens. It was a bit confusing so I understand why you would think that. Actually I'm still confused but that could just be a "senior's moment".
I asked the question to basically find out why she was moving them or the reasons she could be. When TNR1 suggested I don't put the kitten back right away to see what the momma cat would do, I tried it.

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And if you don't mind me asking, what happened? Did she move the others as well or did she only move the one? Thanks.