Stalk, stalk, POUNCE! Ferris & Ginger update.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris is getting ever bolder. Last night, for the first time, he decided it was okay to explore my lap!
He is a draper, LOL, he doesn't just lay on you, he drapes himself over you!
He enjoyed hanging out on me so much that he came back several times before the evening was over, getting lots and lots of cuddles and scritches while he purred to the best of his ability. I'm so in love!

Well, Ginger is a bit perturbed by these further developments. And what pushed her over the edge was this morning: I'd just shut off the alarm, and she began her morning routine of licking my fingers as I give her her loves, and she was barely 10 seconds into our typical 2-minute session, when that bold little creature jumped up onto my bed, right BETWEEN Ginger and me!

Well, that was it. She jumped off the bed, and went into the other room. I had a little cuddle session with Ferris, then got up to give him his breakfast and scoop the litter boxes. That's when it started happening: Ginger jumped him, wrapping all four legs around him and biting at his head, neck and belly!!!

As I watched, there was quite a tussle session going on, and Ferris is sticking up for himself a bit, but he is trying to be a good boy and be submissive to Ginger the way a little boy kitten should. That's not good enough for the girl with tortitude, though, oh no!

I caught her and trimmed all her claws, just in case, because she is so much bigger than he is, and I don't want her to really hurt him. Well, this ticked her off even more - obviously, it's all HIS fault!

So as I was getting ready for work, I'm watching her stalk him, jumping on him, throwing him to the floor, then running off around the corner to do it all over again! At one point - and this was the BEST, I so wish I had a camera with a very fast shutter speed, but it happened too quickly - she was on top of her one story cat tree in my office, and he was underneath it. She just sat there, so he figured it was okay to come out.

As he walked out from under it, minding his own beeswax, she readied herself, peering over the edge until the time was just right, then: POUNCE! She leapt off the top, directly over and onto Ferris!
He completely disappeared under her fur! I couldn't help but laugh, as the two of them rolled over and over, Ferris almost completely engulfed by Ginger's body, but giving it the best he had!

Lots of jumps, twirls, pounces, bunny kicking and biting and batting at each other, but despite all Ginger's bullying, I really think that her actions this morning were more of acceptance than anything else. She's starting to attack him in the very same way that she used to attack her "baby kitty," the orange tiger beanie baby that she grew up playing with.

I'm taking this as a good sign. Ferris is well on his way to being an affectionate lap cat, and Ginger, well, she's always going to be slightly aloof, preferring to be near me rather than on me, tolerating affection from me but running off when she decides she's let me have enough.

Last night was Ferris' three-week anniversary, and we celebrated with him sitting in my lap - he even ventured over into my roomie's lap for a few scritches!

I am so glad that I added this little one to our lives - Ginger has the playmate (victim?) that's she's been needing, I've got the lovebug that I've been needing, and Ferris has a wonderful forever home and never has to worry about being cold, wet and hungry ever, ever again. It's win-win-win.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds so wonderful.
Don't you just love those milestones in the relationships? I know I do!
Way to go Ferris & Ginger!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY
Sounds like she was play fighting with him like my boys do! Anyway it seems things are going well, that is great news!!!! Yeah and Pam's right we need new pictures!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pics very soon, I promise!
I have to get a new flash card for my camera, so I'm a little behind where I'd like to be on the pic situation. But I'm working on it!

I had to go away this weekend for a biker funeral, and I was gone for 2 days (my roomie took care of the furkids.) I wasn't sure what progress would occur while I was gone, but this morning they both got scritches from me at the very same time on my bed without ANY attitude from Ginger, and they both ate Ferris' breakfast out of his bowl at the same time, so I think that the worst of the jealousy and tortitute is past.

I'm looking forward to the three of us bonding more and more from here on.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

this morning they both got scritches from me at the very same time on my bed without ANY attitude from Ginger, and they both ate Ferris' breakfast out of his bowl at the same time, so I think that the worst of the jealousy and tortitute is past.
WOW !!! That is huge progress .... eating out of the same bowl at the same time