Healing kitty with food?

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad recently had major surgery, and his doctor advised him to eat as much red meat as possible, to help with regrowth of tissues. Would something similar hold true for cats?

My Diesel has an open wound that I'm currently caring for with antibiotics in pill and ointment form. I picked up some milky kitten beverage that said it can be used as a nutritional supplement for convalescing cats, and Diesel is all over it.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diet can be very important for healing .... Most vets are not nutritional experts but I would advise calling and asking if they recommend anything...

May I ask what other than the liquid( name would be helpful) Diesel eats ???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended Iams, which I know the standards of the cat community advise is junk. He's split between Iams and Meow Mix, which was what he was eating before he lived with me, which, I know.. Even worse. He doesn't seem to particularly care for either.

Since what he's eating now is such trash, I want to make sure to feed him something -better- than the best, really. My only stipulation is that it's available locally - Once I figure out what he needs to be eating, I want to pick some up right away, instead of waiting for shipping.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a big box pet store???

A small local store???

What do you not want in the cats diet??

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are a few small pet stores around, but mostly big box stores.

As for what I don't want.. I've looked at the raw food concept, but that doesn't work, as I lack a decent freezer. (Single girl, living alone.. I have a little mini-fridge that works fine enough for me.) I'd prefer to stick with dry food, as Diesel tends to snack, rather than eat in one sitting, so it would get gross and stinky.

Thanks for your replies
Your continued help is appreciated!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try California Natural, Innova Evo, Merricks', Natural Balance, Nature's Logic (not always available), Nature's Variety. These might be available in your local small stores.

I am amazed that your vet is recommending two barnds with high filler content. Any of the brands listed above would be a distinct improvement and there will be others--just read the cans to see if 'wheat' 'corn' or 'byproducts' are in the first three ingredients. Avoid the brands if they are there. I'd also avoid anything that contains 'digest'.

Good luck and I hope that your cat is better soon.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Big box options , all I have or would feed

Nutro ( what I feed to my dry eater )( has wet)

Natural balence( has wet )

Royal canin( some are great others
)(has wet in small stores called sesible choice)

Small stores

Cal natural ( has canned

Raw instict by Natures variety( the other dry my girl eats)( the canned is raw)

Evangers (has canned )

Innova ( has canned)

Solid Gold ( make lots of fishy tastey canned)

Chicken soup ( has canned)

Most vets education was a class in vet school ie they get the same nutrtional education your doctor did
.... I am far fromsurpised by his or her recommendation...

foofy cat lady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your recommendations
I'll be headed out Monday to buy some quality eats, as my work schedule makes me purely nocturnal.

Talked to the vet this morning about Diesel's lack of interest in all things edible, and he said that I should feed him anything he'll eat - Tuna, lunch meat, baby food, whatever, until he gets some beef on his bones. I'm kind of nervous about taking his recommendations, (he also said that I shouldn't listen to you internet folks!
) but Diesel seems to agree with his feelings on lunch meat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Foofy Cat Lady

Thanks for your recommendations
I'll be headed out Monday to buy some quality eats, as my work schedule makes me purely nocturnal.

Talked to the vet this morning about Diesel's lack of interest in all things edible, and he said that I should feed him anything he'll eat - Tuna, lunch meat, baby food, whatever, until he gets some beef on his bones. I'm kind of nervous about taking his recommendations, (he also said that I shouldn't listen to you internet folks!
) but Diesel seems to agree with his feelings on lunch meat.
Oh many vets don't know the first thing about nutrition. Your vet told you Iams is good! And he is tell you not to listen to us?