I keep getting breakouts!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay everyone; I need some advice on a new face wash. I need some recommendations here. My face is looking like a pizza and it has to stop!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What cleanser are you using right now?, and is your skin dry, oily or combo?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be your facial cleanser, your hormone levels may have changed

Look into new BC, it'll probably help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

It may not be your facial cleanser, your hormone levels may have changed

Look into new BC, it'll probably help.
I'm not on BC right now, and I can't take it due to medical reasons.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't and don't use hormone therapy myself, so I can understand.
Between 27-35 my hormone levels completely whacked out and I developed adult acne because of it.

I also have combo skin with an oily T zone.
I use St Ive's Apricot cleanser, works really well, but I still get a break out or two around that time of the month.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had alot of problems with breakouts myself, and I do take BC, but I never really found that it helped for me too much.

I tend to breakout alot in the t-zone myself.

I wash my face twice a day with Vichy cleansing milk for sensitive skin. It is expensive but it works for me. Unfourtunatley stress is still the main cause and when I'm stressed right out I'll get a few pop ups.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm....I havn't stoped breaking out since the 4th grade. (no joke either) What worked best for me was Proactive. It helped get my skin under control. Now I'm using a generic Neutagena clarifying cleanser (the orange stuff) and it works well. But I als use a toner and a mask every now and then helps too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

I've had alot of problems with breakouts myself, and I do take BC, but I never really found that it helped for me too much.

I tend to breakout alot in the t-zone myself.

I wash my face twice a day with Vichy cleansing milk for sensitive skin. It is expensive but it works for me. Unfourtunatley stress is still the main cause and when I'm stressed right out I'll get a few pop ups.
Don't worry, when I'm stressed I get a dark red bump in the middle of my forehead that is about the size of a pea, but oblong. I'd take pimples over my 'jewel' as my mother calls it! Actually, it's out right now!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 46 and still have acne problems (thanks to my genes). I've tried just about everything there is over my life and found that the majority of the big brand items don't work. The worst treatment was Mary Kay and Clinic wasn't far behind.

Thru trial and error, what controls things best for me is a combination of Murad (the facial cleanser for their acne treatment), coupled with a generic version of Proactive (bought at Costco). If I add any product's "step 3", which is usually the moisturizing/revitalizing portion of the treatments, my face breaks out. I wash with Murad, then wash again with generic proactive and use their step 2 in the program. It has done a lot for me, and my hormone levels are going crazy cause I'm heading into menopause!

And taking BC never worked for me either!

Yup - it sucks at any age to have acne.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pretty oily skin. The only face wash that has worked for my acne is called M. D. Forte. You have to either get it from a dermatologist's office, or you can get it online (but you need some kind of code from a dermatologist). My backup is Clearasil, but that doesn't work quite as well.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDe...oductLineID=13

This is what I use. I have pretty sensative skin, and can only use certain products. Neutrogena is hypo-allergenic, and has no dyes/fragrances. Also, this face wash has a make-up remover in it, so it saves you a step of removing your make-up (it also works well for stamps on your hand that you get when you go into a club, or when your child puts stamps or tattoo's and you need to get them off, or even on a smudge of make-up on your clothes). And I use the toner that goes with it, almost daily, unless my skin is too dry that day. I also use a moisturizer, but only where needed, eyes/cheeks etc. if I'm oily around my nose I do not use the moisturizer there.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started breaking out around the age of 16, then went on BC right before I turned 18, cleared it right up! Then when I got married, I went off of it, not to get preggers, but because I had high blood pressure and I wanted to see if it would help.. it didn't, but my skin went berserk! I went back on BC about a year and a half ago but this time it didn't help
I used to have beautiful skin, but now its awful! I even went ot the dermotologist and the prescribed meds didn't help, so I have been thinking about Proactive

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I've posted about this before, but I have combo skin w/an oily TZone as well and I haven't found anything that works for me except the Body Shop's Tea Tree line. I used to have a horribly zitty face, and had to be put on meds for it. I hated having to take the meds, because they only helped a little.

One day my mom was in the Body Shop and she heard a customer talking to the cashier about how her daughter had been on acne meds but once she started using the TT stuff, her face cleared up and she was able to go off the meds. My mom picked some up for me right then and then (thank goodness she decided to eavesdrop that day!
)

Needless to say, my face cleared up. I've been using it for 5 or so years now, and I saw significant improvements in the quality of my skin. It's smooth, and the only cars I have are the ones from when I had the chicken pox!

If you ever try it, just keep the TT away from the kitties, it's toxic to them...I keep mine in the medicine cabinet

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently was given a free sample of an Avon 3in1and 'Pore-Fection' and have started using it because it works really well with my skin with a light moisturiser being included (my skin is oily with a bad t-zone but most cleansers dry my skin out and it just gets dry and flaky for a few hours before breaking out or getting oily again) and the mask is great too.

Before that I used the oil free neutrogena range but I only seen a small improvement using it.

The Body Shop TT line just dries my skin badly (and stinks)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like origins products for my skin. I've been blessed with good skin and since I don't work in an offfice anymore I rarely wear any makeup just a moisterizer. What I do is have "late spring/summer " and fall/winter lotions as my face is a tad more oily (T zone) when its warmer and as we het our house w/firewood my skin is a bit drier in the winter. My biggest problem is (Insert sigh) wrinkles!!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another Proactiv fan. So far, it's the only thing I've found to work. I still get a pimple now and then, but it's much less than before and they're very minor when they do pop up.

Proactiv is $$ though, so I'm wondering if the generic stuff works as well. I saw some stuff at Wal-greens. I think it was called Klear Action or something like that. It claims to work just as well, but I'm scared to try it, now that I've got my skin looking good.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was never able to use biore- it always did weird things to my skin. I have a mildly oily T-zone, and the rest of my skin is dry. I lucked out recently and found an awesome cleanser that works for me. It's called Oil of Olay Cleanser + Toner....it's maybe $6 at wal-mart...and you can find it just about anywhere. I always moisturize at night with Ponds Dry Skin Cream...and in the AM with Dove daily moisturizer with sunscreen in it. Also, do you wear makeup??? Not all make up is created equally- Me personally,the only thing that doesn't break me out is Merle Norman ( for the actual liquid makeup)....however as far as eyemake up and blush...etc goes, I can wear just about anything. Definitely try the oil of olay stuff before you purchase a more expensive product. Good luck sweetie!!!! Also- definitely apply a facial masque once a week to help your skin's tone...and exfoliate at least 2x a week to slough off dead skin cells (just a little handfull of sugar works as an excelent exfoliator and it's free in your kitchen! I mix it in with my facewash right before I get ready to wash my face and apply it that way. Also - the St.Ives apricot scrub & the wal-mart version of it are excellent as well) Good luck!!!!!