or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I fed prey model raw, so am not by any means an expert, but: Gizzards are considered a muscle meat, although they are not as nutritious as other parts of the animal. They do have a fair amount of glucosamine, I believe, which is helpful for cats with joint issues. Ritz likes them okay, but she has expensive taste (loves veal). I do have one question: where is the secreting organ in your recipe, like kidney? (Heart is a muscle meat.)
See if this link helps.http://www.thecatsite.com/t/261188/protein-calcium-ratio-for-chicken-feet otherwise no idea sorry
I'm on my kindle and cane search, but I had a similar question, thread, search for it in the raw forum. From what I remember, it does have bone but also a lot of cartilage, useful for cats with joint problems (glucosamine). When I showed a chicken foot to Ritz, she just looked at it, no interest in playing with it or eating. She does love chicken heads, eats them eyeballs, brains and all.
You raise a good point one I hadn't considered, but I think the risk is minimal. I think most humans have the right immune system to fight off this type of thing. I think worms would die in the hostile environment of the stomach. Hopefully someone with a more scientific background will chime in. And I also trust my cat at least to know what bugs not to eat, like a stink bug. I Fed raw and only take minimal standards of protecting against bacteria. If Ritz refuses to...
At the small international supermarket in New Carrollton, Maryland (commuting distance to Washington, DC), I can get goat on a regular basis, though they sell it bone in only, which raises the price per useable pound a lot. Goat meat is also occasionally available in one of the mainstream grocery stores, again bone-in. (The bone is too hard for Ritz to chew.) You might try farmer's markets especially those, as someone pointed out, in an area where there is a high...
Yes, as MrsGreenJeens indicated, there can be a big difference in amount of fat in pork versus turkey, and that plays into calorie counting. I use a percentage, not calories. I fed prey model raw, around 3.2 oz of meat (plus liver/bone/kidney), plus (too many) freeze dried treats. Based on her weight, she should be getting around 3.4 oz of meat, I figure the FDT makes up the difference. Sorry if I missed this, but what treats do you feed her now--FDT are crunchy and...
Second the Welcome! Your plans sounds, well, sound. You indicated you were planning to reduce the number of times you feed Bijou from 3 to 2 times a day. I know only a little about IBD, but would more frequent feedings versus less (i.e., 3 versus 2) be beneficial? If so, could you continue to feed her three times a day, just smaller portions. Ritz loved RadCat, the texture is similar to wet food. She liked Bravo, too, didn't particularly care for Nature's Variety...
I don't think there is any harm in letting him eat the fly assuming you didn't recently use an insect spray. Like you, I love it when Ritz sees a daddy long leg or spider and 'hunts' it and then sometimes eats it. Or now. I've bought some crickets (lots of good nutrition, especially for raw feed cats) at the local Petco/Petsmart and put then in the bathtub for Ritz to hunt. She'll bat or play with them and then gets bored, maybe she'll eat one or two. I think she likes...
Welcome to The Cat Site, sorry it's under these conditions. Dry food usually has many more calories and some of those calories are 'empty calories', so your cat may indeed be hungry. That said, you should follow the directions on the package, especially since it is a specially formulated product. Any way your friend can get a wet version of the S/O food? What wet food were you feeding him? And also honestly, your cat really needs to see a vet. Blood in urine could...
Thanks molldee. That's a good idea-except Ritz also hates being picked up. Gets very very nervous and wiggles to get free. I have to plan very carefully in order to get her into a cat carrier. She was a rescue, dumped in the dead of a bad, snowy winter, so she has issues being picked up and with brooms....