or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Personally I would get pork kidney from your butcher. I wouldn't take the chance.
First, I am sorry for the loss of your cat. Yes, CYA is a way of covering their *ss. Though I agree that (1) a pet should not be euthanisized solely for the owner's convenience (which kind of was not the situation in this case, in my opinion) and (2) a physical exam and talking to the person(s) who take care of the cat [not necessarily the owner] should have been enough, especially given the age of the cat, not the blood work.
you do not need to do anything to the liver before giving it to your cat's. You might cut it into smaller pieces. You can give some of the juice too.
Ritz (female, 5.5 years old) eats around 3.2 oz of meat plus around .19 oz of liver and .19 oz of kidney, and around .7 oz of bone three times a week. And alas lots of freeze dried treats. I've tried to wean her off of the treats, but she seems to be always hungry, especially at night. Her weight is, well, a tad high.
It is okay to give your cat boiled chicken AS A TREAT as long as it is less than 15% of her diet but NOT AS THE ONLY THING SHE EATS. (Sorry for the YELLING but this is important.) Once a day on top of dry food is okay; once a day on top of wet food is even better In order to make the chicken diet nutritionally complete, you need to supplement with a variety of ingredients. Chicken eggs don't make the meal nutritionally complete (although they are good in and of...
Welcome to The Cat Site and sorry it's under these circumstances. Removal of the anal gland during neutering is not standard procedure. And if so, that is certainly something your vet should have discussed with you. But from my limited knowledge of the male cat anatomy, aren't his private parts close to his anus? I would first review carefully what ever the clinic gave you when your cat was discharged; even if the procedure was free, the papers should indicate what was...
I get straw for free at the local, independently run, farm and garden store. They have a huge truck filled with bales of straw, and I simply ask if I can have any straw left on the ground. I carry with me a large trash bag and explain that it is for a winter shelter for stray cats. They're happy to give it to me. You can also buy straw at a craft store (Michaels where I live--frequently have coupons for 40% off any regularly priced item). Note that a small amount of...
Could you heat up the wet food and put it in a thermos until you put down the food? I live 30 minutes from the two very small colonies I take care of and make sure the canned food is under the car heater. If I see the cats waiting for me, I put out the wet food immediately; otherwise, I leave out dry food. Not idea, but the best I can do under the circumstances. One colony has a rubbermaid type shelter they can use; the other does not (or if I put one down, it would be...
I believe some people who feed raw and have FIV+ cats tend to feed commercial raw that has been subject to high pressure pasteurization. I fed prey model raw, but were Ritz FIV+ I'd probably feed commercial raw that has been HHP. Or maybe cook or grind my own food. Other than that, I don't have much knowledge or experience. @LDG knows a lot about FIV+ cats, although I don't believe she feeds raw; she could help you maybe. Good luck, though--and glad your cats IBD has...
Prey model raw was/is also known as Frankenprey, because (at least for me and Ritz), I can feed bone from quail, liver from a pig, kidney from a cow and protein from a lamb: parts of different animals. I get the parts from my local grocery stores. It is not to be confused with feeding whole prey raw, which is feeding (defrosted) tiny mice or quail or rabbits.