or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I hate to say it but: only time will tell whether the Rx diet will dissolve the stones or if surgery is the only alternative. Is Sophie on pain medication and/or antibiotics? I'm not familiar with stones, only crystals, but: what are the stones made of? I do think canned food (not dry) is really important, and try to get Sophie to drink as much water as possible (add some water to the canned food).
Sorry to hear about your cat. Off the top of my head: any chance she ate/drank something she shouldn't have. Is she indoor/outdoor cat?
First, thank you for taking in these cats. In answer to your main question: doubtful you would see any sign of illness, unless the disease is very advance, which doesn't appear to be the case. I'm a little confused: was Diesel tested for FeLV, and did he test negative? I don't know the policy of every humane society, but I would think/hope one of the policies is to automatically test every cat they adopt out for FIV and FeLV/FeLK and, if the result is positive, not...
Maybe she saw a cat or other animal (fox) outside? Ritz respects deer unless they get really close to the garden/window and then she acts intimidated. Rabbits and chipmunks, well, she wants to eat but is just curious. But foxes or the rare stray cat: she goes back and forth from window to window and is intensely interested, focused. I'm not sure cats get angry--they certain get afraid/fearful. I volunteer at a cat sanctuary, and there is a cat (super friendly, very...
I wouId set out as many traps as you have room for cats who will need a day or two to recuperate. This organization may be able to help you; Laurel is not too far from Beltsville. (I went to college in College Park and use to live in New Carrollton.)
Thank you for caring. Alley Cat Allies has a network of volunteers who may be able to give you some advice, too. What county/city do you live in? I agree with Ondine: feed them in the open trap, at more or less the same time every day. To make sure the traps don't close, you can put a stick horizontally through some of the holes (experiment where/which hole).
I do the same thing: mix rabbit with something like beef. If skinless chicken breasts are on super-duper sale, then I mix the chicken breasts also with a higher fat meat, like beef or pork.
Ritz loves rabbit, and the bones are the right density for her. And have a different nutritional profile than chicken, which she gets plenty of. One thing about rabbit I've always wondered: the rabbit I buy is commercial grade, that is, not organic, made for human consumption (not wild). Such rabbit is, I believe, very low in fat. (Ritz needs to watch her girlish figure....) So I wonder if the reason she always wants to eat more rabbit is because she's still hungry...
I noted you've started other threads regarding feeding raw, so you are doing your research, which is so very important when feding raw. You're in the experimenting stage, figuring out what suits you and your cat. Have you tried Bravo? Primal? HareToday? I tried them all and figured out what Ritz likes (pretty much any flavor, it was the consistency she sometimes balked at) and what suited my life style (prey model raw). Personally I went with PMR because I found it...
I'm sorry you're having such problems. These are ideas off the top of my head, may have no basis in reality or practicality but: have the sphincter muscles controlling her colon been tested (I'm sure there's a test for that, not sure what it is called). If there is damage to that area, the cat may not have any control over her colon. I would also recommend the boiled chicken and rice diet, which may give you information as to whether the diarrehea is an allergy. The...