or Connect

Posts by Ritz

I don't have much knowledge about what is normal in a cat, especially male cats. Ritz is my first cat ever and female. I've done a lot of TNing but never socialized a cat on my own. Hercules has always been inordinately friendly, especially for a stray/dumped cat. At the cat colony, he would routinely climb on my lap and scent mark me all around. About six months after I TNRd him, he showed up at the colony with a chunk of fur missing around the side of the neck area...
I feed prey model raw, also known as Frankenprey. She's been on raw for about three years. She eats fast, wants more food including treats, then throws up. She wants to eat immediately after she eats (she would eat what she threw up if I let her), and keeps that food down. Because I feed prey model raw, I can clearly see what she threw up, i.e., if it is light, it is pork; if it is dark, beef. She rarely throws up a hairball, though interestingly enough I just started...
I am dealing with several feral/stray cats (all TNRd several years ago). I put down new straw in the winter shelter, I hope it's enough. Two cats use it regularly. There are single family dwellings on top of the hill along with some run down sheds. I hope there is an opening in them that the cats can at least get out of the wind. (If a cat can fit its head in a hole, he can fit his entire body. That's how Ritz survived a 20" snow storm.) There is a cat with a bum paw...
Ritz is due for a wellness check, and has persistent vomiting, about two times a week. Seems to be related to how many hours she goes without eating. She also seems to be hungry all of the time, and has some FHS symptoms. The vet I've been taking Ritz to (lovely bedside manner) does not support raw feeding. So I took Ritz to a holistic vet; she is part of a 'regular' practice, has limited hours. The practice has one door for cats, and one for dogs. She took me on...
Could you tie a colored string around their neck?
Yes, that is a great way to start the day! Ritz jumps on my bed to wake me for her 3 a.m. feeding. She's patient enough for a cuddle and petting session. She is most relax at that time, and I started rubbing her belly a little. Turns out she loves belly rubs. (She and her litter mates were dumped on the streets when they were about four or five months old.)
Tommy Boy (RIP) gave hugs. He was FelK positive, lived in a cat sanctuary in a room with other FeLK+ cats. He always climbed on my lap to get closer to me and wrapped his paws around my neck. He was very terriotorial--if another cat got close to me he would swat them away. I still miss that cat. Another cat I may adopt/foster could be a candidate for hugger. Hercules was dumped a few years ago, always been inordinately friendly though I do think other people are...
The only thing I would add is: do be sensitive to the type of litter you use/buy. Some are 'softer' than others. And do keep in mind that cats hide pain; if you cat shows an increase in aggressive type behavior, it may be a sign of pain. Good luck.
Welcome to The Cat Site. I may be in a somewhat similar position with a similar "only child". Jackson Galaxy has some good information about introducing a cat to another cat. And here is an article on TCS. When the time comes, you might want to read this article about choosing a second cat. In my case, it is a super friendly, stray cat that I take care of, so I've already chosen him/he has chosen me. Also, do get Feliway and consider Jackson Galaxy Spirit Essence; they...
I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis. Continued vibes for you and kitty. Remember, you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. (Lecture over)