or Connect

Posts by Ritz

Before deciding whether to ask the vet to come to your house, I would call the vet to see if he will have the necessary equipment to draw blood and get a urine sample. I don't know the back story (loss of appetite can be caused by a number of things), but at a minimum, I suspect those would be tests your vet will want to run. If the vet comes to your house and determines more extensive tests need to be done and must be done in his office, then your cat will have to go...
It's hard to say whether your cat will tolerate chicken BROTH. It depends how sensitive/severe his allergy is/might become. I personally would feed it, but just a little bit for starters. If your cat seems to have no reaction, then increase the proportion. There is no problem with feeding two or three proteins /canned foor in the same meal (assuming your cat will eat 'day old' food).
I can't advise you about food (I fed prey model raw), but Ritz throws up a fair amount (acid ingestion, we think). I have read that a limited ingredient food, perhaps with a novel protein like rabbit, might help if the cat has an allergy. My question to you is: how soon after he eats does he throw up? Can you tell if the food is digested/undigested? Does he want to eat right after he eats? PS: I do think eliminating the dry food is a good idea; dry food typically has...
I agree--keep him inside. I don't know the back story, but if he starts to get nervous, anxious, you could move him into a small room. And some place to hide, feel secure, like a cat carrier or even a large box.
Ritz was on Prozac for FHS. I too noticed that she peed less. I tapered the dose (for unrelated reasons) and her urination is back to normal (although she as a rule doesn't pee a lot to begin with). Glad you called the vet.
He may be reacting to the different smell (vet, lower hormone) of his sister. You could try dabbing a little vanilla on each of them so they both smell the same.
I fed prey model raw. I buy my meat from the grocery store, and I look for the meat that has been reduced in price because it is at its 'sell by' date. I occasionally buy frozen quail and rabbit from a small grocery store that caters to international clientele. I fed Ritz the bones from quail and rabbit (a opposed from chicken wings) as well as of course the meat. During farmer market season, I splurge and buy some meat (chicken hearts, liver, chicken and turkey heads)...
I agree with jewelNN: you should take him to the vets sooner rather than later. Poor grooming is another sign of illness; cats are hard-wired to groom themselves so they don't smell and attract predatory animals.
Could you top the cooked turkey with freeze dried turkey treats? Very different texture than cooked turkey. I have sprinkled different probiotics throughout my three+ years of feeding raw, and Ritz has never balked at the taste (though she is not a picky eater at all!) Could she handle something like Bonita (fish) flakes? You could try fortiflora but be aware that it contains some of the same ingredients as what is put on dry food. I wouldn't add salt or bouillon. ...
Welcome to The Raw Side and The Cat Site. You're right, 80/10/10 is the recommended percentage to start with. 20% bone is probably too much--too much bone can cause constipation. I fed Ritz 7% bone--any more than that and she gets constipated. Hearts are considered meat/protein, as are gizzards. Regarding 10% organs, at least 5% should be liver. Supplements: yes, it is okay to thaw the mixture (but just enough to add the supplements) and then add the supplements. Where...