or Connect

Posts by Ritz

None of us here are vets and as such we cannot/should not dispense medical advice. I don't know if she is fine; a vet would probably be able to tell you. Sometimes cats purr to calm themselves because they are afraid or ill; purring isn't necesarily a good thing. Some of her behavior could be explained if she is in heat. Spaying such a cat may resolve some of the issues. Note that female cats have no biological need/drive to have kittens; they don't say Yes to a male...
Welcome to The Cat Site, sorry it's under these conditions. It could be any number of reasons she is sleeping a lot: change of environment/owner, change of food (no appetite for dry food), change of weather even (from hot to cold). But for the sleeping and little appetite, is she peeing/pooping normally (although the less food you eat, the less poop/pee). Where did you get your kitten; if from a breeder, I'd call him/her and ask he knows of any underlying...
Based on what I've read (cause I haven't tried feeding Ritz a mouse, yet): Yes absolutely the mice fed to reptiles is purfectly safe to feed to cats. And regarding whether to cut/defrost: cut--depends on the size and cat. Personally I'd start with small mice (pinkies) and build up from there. Mice in the wild are more or less room temperature, so I would simply put a frozen mouse in the refrigerator the day before you plan on feeding to allow sufficient time for the...
Sounds like the cat I helped foster (Princess Leia). I like (agree with) what your vet said. Watch for further decrease in eating--spay asap.
I agree with Lamiatron: cats can sense illness, weakness in other cats, before us humans can. PS: you indicate she is sick; has she been seen by a vet, and what did the vet say? Meanwhile, definitely isolate her, to give her a chance to rest and not be beaten up.
Welcome to The Cat Site.Is she 100% not eating or just eating much less? If not eating at all, then she may be at risk for fatty liver disease; given how young she is, I'd be a little concerned. I'd call the vet for advice, and ask if you can move up the spay date. I was helping (a little) fostering a cat who we could not get spayed for several weeks. She went in and out of heat it seemed every five days. She lost a fair amount of weight, although I think she was still...
I believe it is the dry food--not so much whether it is marketed for kittens or adult cats--that is bad. For that reason, I think the dry food for kittens is bad. But from a purely nutritional standpoint, kitten food generally contains more calories than all-stage cat food. The kitten food may not agree with your older cat from a digestive standpoint. How old is the kitten?
To get a basic understanding of feeding raw, please read this article. There are some additional articles here under the heading of Homemade Diets. Seems to me your cat is getting a little of that, a little of that, and more of that. Hopefully that equals a nutritionally complete diet.
Depends in part on the kitten food. Is the food dry? Wet? Brand name, etc. Thanks. PS: what did your vet recommend, food and other wise?
Of the 35+ feral/stray cats I've TNRd, none had e-collars. And none of the cats had an issue with pulling at their stitches (which are dissolvable). In my situation, the cats stayed in the trap during the one night convalescence, so the e-collar probably wouldn't have fit. Plus for the first 12 to 24 hours, the cats are pretty much 'out of it', this includes the very feral, very old (10 years) cat I TNRd two weeks ago. I knew he was feeling better when he hissed at...